FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Interior Pillar Paint
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It was suggested that I post this, hopefully it'll be of help.

I put a dual pod in my ST, wanted to match the paint as closely as I could to the stock interior colour.

After doing some research at FF and FJ, I was reading that the DupliColor was close, but a little shiny; after visiting about 3 or 4 shops in Hamilton, I was pointed to the NAPA/CMax store in Stoney Creek.

To find the closest near you go here:

http://www2.zip411.net/locators/napa/napa/en/index.php

Make sure you look for the CMax Body and Paint ones to the right.

These stores have all the proper codes to mix interior paint that matches nearly perfect, for nearly any late model vehicle. They have colour-match books so that you can take in a trim piece (ie. I took in the visor clip) to confirm the colour match.

It takes them 10 minutes or so for them to make up a spray bomb. It's not cheap, about $25 for a can -- but worth it IMO. Nothing like spending over $250 for a pod and gauges only to look like a hack job.

[Image: 1.jpg]
[Image: 2.jpg]
[Image: 3.jpg]
[Image: 4.jpg]

Remember -- Thin coats, do the next coat before the last completely dries. I put about 5 coats on, holds up pretty good.:)
Looks good, but wheres the pics of the actual guage pod and guages?
habmann,Apr 1 2006, 01:08 PM Wrote:Looks good, but wheres the pics of the actual guage pod and guages?
[right][snapback]178491[/snapback][/right]
[Image: DSCF0051Small.jpg]

This pic is a little washed out because of the flash-

[Image: 257412005_ST_Dash.JPG]
What are the 2 guages?

Personal peeve of mine with the focus was when they gave you the black interior and only the bottom half was black. I painted mine top half black, but the pillar matches the top half really well in your car.
I really think this will help some people out (puppet)

No excuses now.

I have seen Matt's guage pod in person and it is a perfect match. And I had not started drinking before I saw it.

Thanks for posting Matt. It looks perfect.
Thanks,

The top guage is an Autometer DPIC. Kind of like a GTech.

[Image: 4380_d.jpg]
http://autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.asp...293&sid=11

It's alright, on the verge of rice, I'm undecided as to whether I'll keep it when I eventually go FI. I might keep it and go with a 3-pillar pod. I'll see when the time comes.

The bottom gauge is a Stewart Warner G.U.S. (Gauge Ultra Shift)

It's basically a Tach and a Shift Light all in one. I found that the ST's 1st and 2nd are really quick, it's great having a shift light, and I personally don't care for the the Big Tach/Shift light look.

I love this gauge - if there's only one complaint it's that there is no provision to dim the RPM display when the lights are on (like the Autometer does). But you can turn off the digital display (I have the analog tach anyways) and just use the shift light, so that's what I do.

[Image: 395pic1.gif]
http://www.sw-performance.com/products/pro...x?productid=395
i work/worked in a body shop..and 25$ for a spray bomb is pretty much a rip off...my store sells them for 19.98 a can, and also, you were doing it the hard way for the paint and for a "near" match..if this was a good auto body paint shop, they would have a scanner which would give you pretty much the exact match..i have a friend of mine who redid his interior with parts off of a less beat up s-10, and he scanned the colours then used vinyl paint, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference enless if you knew he did the job himself..just my 2cents :D
smith21,Apr 1 2006, 03:22 PM Wrote:i work/worked in a body shop..and 25$ for a spray bomb is pretty much a rip off...my store sells them for 19.98 a can, and also, you were doing it the hard way for the paint and for a "near" match..if this was a good auto body paint shop, they would have a scanner which would give you pretty much the exact match..i have a friend of mine who redid his interior with parts off of a less beat up s-10, and he scanned the colours then used vinyl paint, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference enless if you knew he did the job himself..just my 2cents :D
[right][snapback]178509[/snapback][/right]

$19.98 + PST + GST = $22.98
So I may have got burned for a two-ny.

I'm sure that the NAPA had a scanner also. The point was that they have the paint codes. It is an exact match, the only difference at all isn't the colour of paint, but a difference in the "grain" pattern/texture between the OEM A-Pillar and the grain of the Autometer pillar pod.

Most people think it's stock, you can't really tell mine was painted either. Mind you, my car was only a month old when I put the pod in, so the interior wasn't faded at all.

As for other body shops, around here the next cheapest option was buying a pint of plastic paint for $35, and buying my own sprayer (which I don't have yet) .

01-yellow-ZX3

Anybody wanna buy that exact same a-pillar gauge pod? :D
nice job! that's the way it's supposed to be..

my lower half is grey, not black, so that's why I want the perfect match.

Guess I should go visit a napa store...
darkpuppet,Apr 2 2006, 10:10 AM Wrote:nice job!  that's the way it's supposed to be..

[right][snapback]178600[/snapback][/right]
Just an FYI, if your interior is the light grey, here's the label from mine, print it out and you might save some time.

Don't mind the splices, round cans are hard to get in one shot.

Matt

[Image: labelMedium.jpg]

Note that they used the medium gloss for mine (it does match well though), if your interior has really dulled, maybe you should go with the low gloss.
dupont paint..ur a smart man lol..best s*** around
OAC_Sparky,Apr 2 2006, 11:15 AM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Apr 2 2006, 10:10 AM Wrote:nice job!  that's the way it's supposed to be..

Just an FYI, if your interior is the light grey, here's the label from mine, print it out and you might save some time.

Matt

Note that they used the medium gloss for mine (it does match well though), if your interior has really dulled, maybe you should go with the low gloss.
[right][snapback]178615[/snapback][/right]

gotcha.. yeah, I don't really amourall my interior, so low gloss may be the order... I just wish I didn't have to drive so freakin' far for a can of paint... guess I'm going on a road trip this weekend :P

thanks again man!
darkpuppet,Apr 3 2006, 06:13 PM Wrote:
OAC_Sparky,Apr 2 2006, 11:15 AM Wrote:

Matt

[right][snapback]178615[/snapback][/right]

gotcha.. yeah, I don't really amourall my interior, so low gloss may be the order... I just wish I didn't have to drive so freakin' far for a can of paint... guess I'm going on a road trip this weekend :P

thanks again man!
[right][snapback]178841[/snapback][/right]

i can pick it up for you and have it here when you come for the game in 2 weeks

unless u want a roadtrip and want to stop by.
meford4u,Apr 3 2006, 06:26 PM Wrote:i can pick it up for you and have it here when you come for the game in 2 weeks

[right][snapback]178844[/snapback][/right]

I may pick it up this saturday.. go for a drive out to keele and Finch... will go during the day, wear my bulletproof vest.
darkpuppet,Apr 3 2006, 06:29 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Apr 3 2006, 06:26 PM Wrote:i can pick it up for you and have it here when you come for the game in 2 weeks

[right][snapback]178844[/snapback][/right]

I may pick it up this saturday.. go for a drive out to keele and Finch... will go during the day, wear my bulletproof vest.
[right][snapback]178846[/snapback][/right]

Ok. Aaron said he would do the install for you, even without the bung in place, at our house. Sans free.
But he needs a little help in the future, and maybe he can sort some things out with you that day. He works every other weekend, so timing the two of you together will end up being the issue. He is off the Easter weekend, but a trip to bunny's is in store (I think, gotta firm up with bunny).

Now what was this thread about again? :lol: