FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Oil Leak Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone had a valve cover leak that will not go away when you change the valve cover gasket. Could the valve cover be screwed?
Tantrik ZX3,Feb 15 2006, 05:19 PM Wrote:Has anyone had a valve cover leak that will not go away when you change the valve cover gasket. Could the valve cover be screwed?
[right][snapback]170637[/snapback][/right]

replace the gasket ( $60+ part from crappy tire I assume even more at the dealer ) I have the same issue and with synthetic it seems to seep through more than conventional oil.

it's a super easy fix 8 bolts and that's it. Paint the cover while it's off cause if you take it off in the future you'll need to replace that gasket again.
Holy smokes nass....you paid a lot. I think when i did mine I paid $15.00.

Or was that the header gasket :ph34r: <_<

I've done mine twice and it still leaks (once under warranty). Thank god its an easy install.
Flofocus,Feb 15 2006, 06:02 PM Wrote:Holy smokes nass....you paid a lot.  I think when i did mine I paid $15.00.

Or was that the header gasket  :ph34r:  <_<

I've done mine twice and it still leaks (once under warranty).  Thank god its an easy install.
[right][snapback]170650[/snapback][/right]

I didn't buy it heh, they didn't have any in stock at any of the crappy tires within 2 hours driving distance and yes that is a stupid expensive gasket. I wonder if gasket sealer will fix the issue? or those do it yourself cork gasket kits?
One thing to remember, don't over tighten the bolts, that too can cause leaks.
nass,Feb 15 2006, 01:54 PM Wrote:
Tantrik ZX3,Feb 15 2006, 05:19 PM Wrote:Has anyone had a valve cover leak that will not go away when you change the valve cover gasket. Could the valve cover be screwed?
[right][snapback]170637[/snapback][/right]

replace the gasket ( $60+ part from crappy tire I assume even more at the dealer ) I have the same issue and with synthetic it seems to seep through more than conventional oil.

it's a super easy fix 8 bolts and that's it. Paint the cover while it's off cause if you take it off in the future you'll need to replace that gasket again.
[right][snapback]170649[/snapback][/right]

Yikes...that's more than what I picked up from my dealership.

I have to tackle this later when it's warmer. But everyone basically nailed some good points:

- loose/overtightened valve cover bolts
- Also, make sure the surfaces are nice and clean when you're mating the gasket
oh sweet so the dealer part is even cheaper? that doesn't happen too often. Thanks for the heads up.
nass,Feb 16 2006, 08:39 PM Wrote:oh sweet so the dealer part is even cheaper? that doesn't happen too often. Thanks for the heads up.
[right][snapback]170943[/snapback][/right]

I think my gasket wasn't more than $45 dollars with tax.

Ah well...I think this gasket is more an age issue than mileage related now. It seems now more cars are getting it.
When nothing works, use gasket maker.
I had mine done under warranty.

Gaskets are covered to 100k
I got alot more then 100k on there so no warranty for me. thanks for all the help guys
My gasket was $50......I hate stealerships.
I don't have problem with the gasket but I have oil mark around the cap since day one and it won't go away.