FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Zx3tuning Shorty Antenna Wont Unscrew
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
whats the best way to remove the zx3tuning shorty antenna without damaging it? i sprayed some wd-40 onto the antenna and let it soak and i used some rubber grip gloves but the thing is tight like a virgin and wont budge.. any ideas? im planning to take the car to a car wash and I want it off cus I know its gonna snap off.
chances are it is rusted on.
not really much you can do but remove the whole antenna mast and base and try and remove it from the base off the car in a vice or something... you gotta pop out the interior dome light on the inside to get at the nut that holds the base to the roof.

good luck.
looks like its more corroded than rust.. i finally got it off but it was a b**ch to. what do i do to clean the threads so it doesnt do this again?
clean out the threads using a tap .. then put some anit-seize on them when you go to install it back on the car
schade,Jan 28 2006, 03:19 PM Wrote:clean out the threads using a tap .. then put some anit-seize on them when you go to install it back on the car
[right][snapback]167372[/snapback][/right]
whats a TAP?
paolo,Jan 28 2006, 04:38 PM Wrote:
schade,Jan 28 2006, 03:19 PM Wrote:clean out the threads using a tap .. then put some anit-seize on them when you go to install it back on the car
whats a TAP?
[right][snapback]167376[/snapback][/right]

It's like a drill bit but it drills out a threaded pattern.
paolo,Jan 28 2006, 03:38 PM Wrote:
whats a TAP?
[right][snapback]167376[/snapback][/right]

Here is a Die and Tap set. They are used to cut new (or repair old) threads, male and female.

[Image: 0587200_450_CC_1f219.jpg]

you dont need a tap to clean it out just a small wire brush, if you use a tap, you may use the wrong one and f*** up the threads inside, and then you will never be able to use the antenna base again. once it is all clean yes use antisieze on the thread. That will keep the threads from locking themselves inside. best bet is removing the base from the car completley clean up both pieces and then reassemble....
a tap will work just fine, but make sure you have/use the right tap before you start work. the thread pitch and size of the tap are very important.
and sorry, it's been over 3 years since those were made and i just do not remeber what size you need....
fak, i'll just stick to a wire brush... Mitch, is there anything I should put on the threads after Its all cleaned up? WD-40? Grease, or anything in particular so it doesnt corrode again?
this product sounds really cheap. never had a problem with the factory one, and you can't get much cheaper than ford factory.
One of those small Boa rubber wrenches?
chop your stock.
anti-sieze works.
gease will work
wd-40 will NOT work.
chinaman,Jan 30 2006, 05:59 AM Wrote:this product sounds really cheap.  never had a problem with the factory one, and you can't get much cheaper than ford factory.
[right][snapback]167488[/snapback][/right]

when was the last time you tried to remove the stock antenna?

why would you say "this product sounds really Cheap?"
Boa wrenches work great as Nos said!
They taught us how to tap in high school? What do they teach over there lol ?
ZX3TUNR,Jan 31 2006, 02:24 AM Wrote:They taught us how to tap in high school? What do they teach over there lol ?
[right][snapback]167663[/snapback][/right]

'Farm Machinery Repair' was an elective in Ontario schools. :lol:
ZX3TUNR,Jan 31 2006, 03:24 AM Wrote:They taught us how to tap in high school? What do they teach over there lol ?
[right][snapback]167663[/snapback][/right]

Financial Planning.
Zing! :lol:
Pages: 1 2