FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Turbocharged Svt Focus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The drive up to Lightspeed Innovations with my Master Mechanic (DJ) in his Supercharged SVT Focus:
[Image: turboinstall1.jpg]

Hard at work:
[Image: turboinstall2.jpg]

[Image: turboinstall3.jpg]

[Image: turboinstall4.jpg]

One of a kind downpipe and cat eliminator:
[Image: turboinstall5.jpg]

We airlocked this bish! :lol
[Image: turboinstall6.jpg]

And pretty much completed:
[Image: turboinstall7.jpg]

[Image: turboinstall8.jpg]

So... this thing runs 10 pounds, non intercooled. Turbonetics custom T3. Turbonetics wastegate. Focus-Power manifold. Everything else was custom, hand-crafted by DJ! It was suppose to be a simple bolt-on kit, but without getting into too many words, NOTHING fit properly. So DJ created/welded/crafted/went to town fabbing up what was needed. Which was pretty much EVERYTHING!

At this time, I have no proper tune. We ran out of time sunday night to get on the dyno. So we'll be heading back on an evening this week to get tuned properly. In the meantime we just threw in a very rich tune to keep it safe.

:)
Noice.

Turbo Toms stuff didnt fit??

Details please, I know you said you didnt want to get into it but please do.
Well. It's a long long story.

But the basics... Turbo Tom's stuff is crap.

He does great welding though. But his stuff didn't fit worth s**t. The ONLY part (I'm not exagerating) that didn't need modification was the manifold.

Off the top of my head, here is the list of problems I remember encountering...

- the downpipe was all wrong. i think it might have been a base ZX3 downpipe. cuz it sure as hell didn't fit the SVT. we hacked it up and turned it into the downpipe/cat eliminator all in one!

- the L shaped oil line fittings couldn't be screwed into place, because the L shape would hit up against something. we had to custom create some fitting with stuff at a local auto store.

- one of the threads on the wastegate flange was severely pooched. we had to re-do the thread completely

- there was abosolutely no way to put one of the bolts in the exhaust flange of the turbo. because it was completely hidden behind the downpipe piping!

- the kit was suppose to include an new oil pan with welded oil return bung. after a month of waiting for it after recieving everything else, it still didn't arrive. so we modded my stock pan

- both the oil feed/return and the compressor side housing of the turbo had to be clocked, cus the way it shipped the outlet pointed straight at my A/C rad, with about 1.25 inches to spare

- the O2 sensor location on the downpipe was useless. it was right up against the rad. no way to fit the sensor in. so we blocked it off the turned the sensor off with the predator tuner

I'm sure there was more... I just can't think of it all right now. I'm still a little overwhelmed.

01-yellow-ZX3

Wow, I had no idea this was in store for your car. Sounds like a sweet setup!

Planning to intercool it in the future at all?
Yeah, this winter I would like to intercool, get some head work done, and upgrade the exhaust. I think my overall power is going to be quite understated because I'm still on the stock exhaust with two mufflers and resonator. :(
^^^ holy, im surprised :huh:

thats a lot of s**t to go through!

post up some numbers soon!
are you saying that you don't even have the 1st bank O2 sensor in place and enabled?
Did Tom explain himself or anything???

I know he lurkes around here, so Im hoping he chimes in. :blink:

Tha IS a lot of s**t to go through for a 'bolt on' kit.

I know they ain't cheap. :( <_<
darkpuppet,Aug 8 2005, 11:08 AM Wrote:are you saying that you don't even have the 1st bank O2 sensor in place and enabled?
[right][snapback]129398[/snapback][/right]

That's right. No O2 sensors. Turned them off with the predator tuner.

Flofocus,Aug 8 2005, 11:37 AM Wrote:Did Tom explain himself or anything???

I know he lurkes around here, so Im hoping he chimes in.  :blink:

Tha IS a lot of s**t to go through for a  'bolt on' kit.

I know they ain't cheap. :(  <_<
[right][snapback]129405[/snapback][/right]

I haven't contacted Tom. I'm not sure that I will. I mean, what could he possibly do for me now? The turbo is in and running...
you have no O2's enabled?! yikes! ...i would have relocated the bung at the bare minimum.

the car is basically running closed loop the entire time... and depending on how accurate your MAF transfer function is... and the heat, etc, it's going to be running at best, to some level of turd.

I would have relocated the O2 bung, and then at least the car is more guaranteed safe outside of boost (with MAF transfer function, etc.).

what did you do to make sure the car's safe?
I'm running a slightly modified standalone tune that was used in my friend's supercharged svtf.

The only real differences between ours cars is that his is supercharged instead of turbo, and he's got the exhaust and headwork done.
SVTDavan,Aug 8 2005, 03:38 PM Wrote:I'm running a slightly modified standalone tune that was used in my friend's supercharged svtf.

The only real differences between ours cars is that his is supercharged instead of turbo, and he's got the exhaust and headwork done.
[right][snapback]129465[/snapback][/right]

ok... and if you're both running the same MAF, etc, that should hold...
You betcha!
:)
what are your IAT readings like. it would be interesting to compare that to a intercooled setup.

do you have a safeguard installed. or anything else to monitor your engines condition. i'd be worried about deto and stuff like that running a non intercooled setup.
Just playing around with the predator real time data, I seem to recall IAT being 98F... just going by memory, I could be wrong...

Safegaurd? Yeah... I can't really take it above 4 grand right now without it studdering. :lol:
Uhohs!
Okay... on the drive home, IAT temperature never went higher than 68F. It is a cool rainy day though.

It actually only studders above 4 grand if I try to really floor it. Which I shouldn't be doing anyways right now... ;)
I read on FJ that the engine blew? is it true?

what happened?????!?!?! :ph34r:
Yep. It's true.

Here's the story.

Took Friday off work for dyno tuning for my turbo. Made some wicked numbers!

[Image: turbodyno.jpg]

We even cut it off a bit early. I'm sure that if we held it right to redline (7300) we would have made 250 to the wheel on the mustang dyno. Power mods for this car are a T3 turbo topping out at 11psi. 42 pound injectors, and no catalytic converter. I'm still on the stock exhaust which includes two mufflers and a resonator. There's lots more power to be made with this thing.

Anyways...

Saturday I was in Edmonton for the SVTOA track day. What a great event!

Saturday night on the way home, just outside Leduc... was on the highway... gave it some gas in 6th gear to pass a van... suddenly heard some rattling, followed by a cloud of white smoke. Pulled over... she was done.

[Image: broken-tow.jpg]

Here's what happened:

My air/fuel was great. Low 11:1 through the entire wot table.

When we were installing the turbo manifold, we noticed cylinder #3's exhaust port was black. there was some carbon build up. It was definetly burning oil. We knew it was an issue, but didn't think much of it... didn't think it would become a huge issue so soon.

Either way, it was too safe of a tune to be detonation to harm a piston . it is most surely the rings .

We'll have the head off this week to check things out for sure.

So we'll replace the piston and ring in number three. and replace all the other rings as well, with a custom gap. the stock gap is just too tight for the amount of heat it's creating. they will expand too much, put pressure on the landings and... boom!

The head is going to be sent to a machinist. I'm pretty sure he'll notice that the valves for cylinder three aren't seating properly, which seems to be common with this car. It's creating a lean condition in number three, causing the failures. Not only has it happened to me now, but it happened to my friend's supercharged svtf last year... and numerous other people in the states. Always cylinder number three.

While the head is off, the machinist will give it a full port and polish as well. So the car will be back soon. And making more power than before. Just a matter of time.

DJ is in Red Deer right? Im still thinking about going to him for my turbo.

Quote:Saturday night on the way home, just outside Leduc... was on the highway... gave it some gas in 6th gear to pass a van... suddenly heard some rattling, followed by a cloud of white smoke. Pulled over... she was done.

Good ol shitty ford head gaskets...
Pages: 1 2