FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Car Is Running
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good news.. running well right now and im loving it. I'm surprised that everything went so well.. I made a stupid (very) mistake when i first started it. Everything was good, idle was perfect, car was running great on idle..no leaks, or oil etc.. so i go for a drive around the block slowly.. so i start pressing the peddle a bit more, and more.. til i get to 3000 then it was kind of slow so i floor more.. nothing.. it wouldn'T go over 3000rpm ! so i go home (not even a block), open the hood.. pull the throttle and my 90* coupler going to TB was caving in everytime i was giving throttle.. i open my piping there.. what do i find... a big ball of newspapers stuck to my IAT sensor!!!!! Oh my god i felt like such an idiot (still do). Could've cost me alot more.. So i remove the thing.. go for another drive and all was good and was just getting 3 psi but still felt it a little.

I had a bit of smoke when i was stopping at lights or stop signs that i wasn't getting when i was cruising.. and figured out that probably it was the oil ending up forward (where the drain fitting is) and backing up. So before redoing an oil pan etc.. i decided to try and lower the pressure the 60-70psi feeding the turbo.. so i bought a 1/8"npt adjustable valve and put it inline with the oil press. gauge and feed line.. gauged it to about 40-50 psi (was at operating temp) .. and it fixed my white smoke puffs almost completely, i haven't touched it since but sometimes, when the car is not fully warmed up, it will do a small puff but after its warmed up, no sign of oil burning. I am running 10w30 but i think that it might be a little too thin for the temperature it was yesterday so ill try some 10w40 or 15w50 this week.

I got my Xcal2 yesterday (just the datalogging one) so i can start tuning as soon as my buddy lends me his laptop

NATE, tomorrow.. orleans.. you and me.. :lol:
Good stuff. Glad to hear it went well man!

How about tomorrow I can lend you my laptop and you can pull my MAF counts and STFT? :huh:
Congrats! Maybe I should have just played around with oil restrictors a little more :(

But I'm super happy with what I got now!

Post some pics!!!!
hardk0re,Jun 7 2005, 09:40 AM Wrote:Post some pics!!!!
[right][snapback]113069[/snapback][/right]

Yes this thread is really usless without them. :P
Yeah i think its just some turbos don't need as much pressure.. or can't handle as much. Its a T25 but now im wondering, maybe its a ballbearing?! naaah doupt it.. but anyway, ballbearing use less pressure too.. the thing though is i hope im getting enough pressure to the turbo with 40-45psi at wot.. even cruising i get about the same..but was reading on sr20forum that their oil pressure at idle was around 10-15psi (with t25s too) and i get 20psi at idle .. so im not too worried.. its just different cars, different pressure.. others putting this same turbo might not have to adjust anything at all.. and im sure if i had a bigger return line, i could leave the pressure a bit higher and it would drain correctly..

but now im between the too much pressure for drain line, and not enough pressure for turbo so im good.. B)

I'm sure you're setup is great! Would love to drive and compare... the feeling with this car is so close to stock, but with a turbo.. torque everwhere.. im in love with my car again

Nate: ohhh so now you need a datalog uh ;) cost me 73$ for duties, wanna split :lol: yeah ill bring it.. still haven't got your datalogging.. you're so slow.. so you'll be there tomorrow?

i haven't taken any pics really .. ill need to do that later.. only the old and new endlinks.. my car stopped making a clunk noise when hitting bumps.. happy aobut that too..
:postpics:
excellente

will have pics later.. i'd rather drive it than take pictures, thats why i didn't ahve any hehehe ;) look at my sig for now

Me and flo will be datalogging the cars tonight (and me tuning :P ) so should be running better pretty soon..

Hey flo i forgot to tell ya.. the guys that built my downpipe and other misc parts asked me if i was going to luskville this weekend as they were going to test out their car and wanted to see what mine could do.. you could come to.. shut everyone up about our focus' :lol: not sure when exacly yet (time etc..)
BerinG,Jun 7 2005, 01:33 PM Wrote:will have pics later.. i'd rather drive it than take pictures, thats why i didn't ahve any hehehe ;) look at my sig for now

Me and flo will be datalogging the cars tonight (and me tuning :P ) so should be running better pretty soon..

Hey flo i forgot to tell ya.. the guys that built my downpipe and other misc parts asked me if i was going to luskville this weekend as they were going to test out their car and wanted to see what mine could do.. you could come to.. shut everyone up about our focus'  :lol: not sure when exacly yet (time etc..)
[right][snapback]113129[/snapback][/right]

I'm working this week-end (deployment week-end). Frig....let me know when you what time....Im not working till late Saturday night.....

I WANT TO GO :o

EDIT: I dont know if I should go with a faulty tune and such.,...I'd rather beat on her down a 1/4 mile strip with Tom's GOOD tuning.....
Flofocus,Jun 7 2005, 01:55 PM Wrote:I'm working this week-end (deployment week-end).  Frig....let me know when you what time....Im not working till late Saturday night.....

I WANT TO GO  :o

EDIT: I dont know if I should go with a faulty tune and such.,...I'd rather beat on her down a 1/4 mile strip with Tom's GOOD tuning.....
[right][snapback]113145[/snapback][/right]
always have an excuse don't you .. hehe i might go during the day, i dont know for sure when they are going.. but still, cruise night is always night to arrive earlier caus its PACKED after that and it takes days to get one pass..

i'll see how mine works out too... but im sure you've beaten on it already heheheh
faaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwk awf :P

I swear, Im working this week-end. :(

we start at 3pm, probably work till 11pm.....depending on how our testing goes.

If we can go during the day, I'll come for sure.

I'll shift at 5Krpm all the way down the track! :lol: :lol:
well im not sure.. could always wait another week-end or something.. i'll see how my car goes too..