FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Intercooler Cooling.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So my buddy got the stage 2 upgrade kit for his neon/srt4 and it looks pretty neat. It includes jets that shoot out water onto the intercooler and after talking to Mitch doing something like this would be pretty easy to do on the focus prolly looking at $50 max but I was also looking into doing a small nitrous kit and purge the intercooler with n2o. Would come in handy for sure at the track.

water vs n2o. Nitrous is of course going to be better but is it even worth it besides being a bling factor or would the water work just as well...

What do you guys think.
Have you looked into CO2?

http://www.mini-madness.com/index.asp?Page...PROD&ProdID=129

My buddie has this for his WRX/RS Swap.

01-yellow-ZX3

Offtopic, but how is that Stage 2 Mopar kit?

I've always had a feeling for a SRT4 with a stage 3 kit...drool.

I'm going to just put a T with a switch in my wiper lines and fill my wiper tank with water. Then route another pair of sprayers to before the IC. At the track i'll switch the T to spray the IC, on the way home i'll just switch the T to the wipers...

Cost: 10bucks

Obviously your not going to get allot of gains for this, but you will get the thermal transfer properties of water on the intercooler...
the stage 2 kit looks awsome. includes bigger injectors, new ecu and some other goodies. It includes a pump that you tap into the windsheild washer fluid holder and run the lines to the fmic. Then with the new switches they give you, you can set it so it sprays water into the fmic when u push the button or you can have it so it sprays everytime you shift. They also include a 2nd program on ths chip if your running 100 octane.

i wonder when I get my custom chip if they can program it so it can spray the fmic every time I shift if I chose it to.

never actually looked into the Co2 method but Im going to take a look. I was looking into some baby size nitrous bottle (2) witch are not to bad of a price then the hardware kit.
The only thing i dont like about a mist is that it runs out.. i hate things that run out.. fairly easy to make them though..

If I had the option, I'd go water/air cool instead.. so then you get the fresh cooling water like your mist.. but without having to refill it your reservoir

Of course water is not like n2o as far as coolness (both definitions apply hehe) but its consistant and doesn't cost anything. Something I thought about though for water to air would be using alcohol instead. Its liquid and stays alot colder than water. And you don't need to refill anyway so even if it costs a bit to fill it up, its done.
hardk0re,Mar 23 2005, 11:56 AM Wrote:I'm going to just put a T with a switch in my wiper lines and fill my wiper tank with water.  Then route another pair of sprayers to before the IC.  At the track i'll switch the T to spray the IC, on the way home i'll just switch the T to the wipers...

Cost: 10bucks

Obviously your not going to get allot of gains for this, but you will get the thermal transfer properties of water on the intercooler...
[right][snapback]95947[/snapback][/right]

thats pretty much the setup I would be doin. LOL YAY I can use my neon washer jets now LOL just kidding.

but the thing is on a hot day that water in the tank is going to be warm? is that still going to work? i idea of free and cheap is what I like alot :D
I'm taking Air Conditioning and Refrigeration in school and I can tell you by far that Water is the best refrigerant. It can absorb more Btu's/lb than any other refrigerant out there. I would go with water because it is the cheapest. the next best refrigerant is ammonia but that's just not a good idea!
jam some crushed ice with water into the resivoir and there we go lol. spray spray spray :D

when is usually the best time to spray the cooler. Im assuming at the track right while your lining up and ready to go and does it require just a squirt or just soak it...what would work the best?
There are lots of spray kits out there now I saw one where there is resevoir that looks like a back pack for the drivers seat.

Lots of turbo timers/boost gauges these days have spray activation functions.

There is a LED gauge out now that shows air temp before the air hits the IC and after the passing over.

It is something I'll do eventually since it is just a matter of a few STi parts for me. I already have a spray controller built into my ECU monitor. I haven't looked into it much but am pretty sure the set point uses boost P not RPM or anything else.
didn't SCC do a homemade water injection on 240SX or something. they used the washer fluid resivor, something like on the SRT4 kit.
man just hire ur bro to strap him down to the hood, and everytime u want it to spray just hit him with a stick or something and make him spit on the intercooler :P
I LOVE GADGETS!

[Image: t_190.jpg]

checked out that cryo kit. thats thats exactly what my buddy is putting onto his turbo sc2..
I fianlly got to check those sites out. Lots of info. Seems like every one is doing the water/methanol kit by Snow Performance. I dont think I want anything that crazy.

I just wanna squirt some watter on the intercoolr before I gun it and case closed lol.
but like I said and I couldnt find it on focaljet (maybe i missed it) how much water should I spray on the intercooler?
It's not that big a deal ("crazy") in the sense that you could blow your engine.

Without reading to much I think the best kits will only drop temps by say "the tens of degrees" (20, 30, 40...?) it doesn't matter because we live in Canada and know 100% for sure that the intake temperature can range from -40^C to +40^C, thats a HUGE range. I've heard of people at drag races just dumping a bag of ice on top of the TMIC.

When brushing snow off my car I always cram some in the scoop. :lol:
I seen one guy just hold the jets on the fmic. made a puddle then a guy was telling me that wasnt safe :huh:
It was perfectly safe, unless he is scared of "puddles"?
Flofocus,Mar 23 2005, 02:24 PM Wrote:Have you looked into CO2?

http://www.mini-madness.com/index.asp?Page...PROD&ProdID=129

My buddie has this for his WRX/RS Swap.
[right][snapback]95941[/snapback][/right]

The WRX/RS Swap is doing 13.4 quarter mile.

His mods are FULL 2002 WRX swap into 98 RS Coupe, and the CO2. It seems to be working for him. :o
Pages: 1 2