FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: So I Came Up With A Wacky Idea...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've decided to bring in a spare set of headlight assemblies and Nite-shade them. Starting with one good (hopefully), uniform coat, I can see how dark I can get them without blocking much of the beam. I figure two good coats ought to be enough for a good look and still allow proper light transmission. This is NOT from firsthand experience alone, but also from others on Focus boards using different light sources (headlights, tails, corners, grille signals).

Also, I'll be wiring up a 12V external power supply to test and see how much light they pass at night... switch and all. Cool eh? :) 12V is my favourite place to play when it comes to modding... easy to set-up and break down, easy to work with.

What do you think?
thats the wackiest thing i have ever heard with my years in all of my 21 years on planet earth...

no not really, but sounds like a good idea, hardly wacky :P

my opinion is dont get them super dark, like those pitch black covers, your car is red, i think it might look wack-y
All I'm going to say is I got a good deal on the assemblies themselves ;)

If they don't work / look WACK, then I've got the others still mounted on the car with the Silverstars. I've even got them coming with brighter-than-stock bulbs, so I'll get a rough approximation of what should be on my car. At worst, I've got 2 assemblies to clean, and then I'll have 2 more spare bulbs, too :)
Limo tint your windshield too.

:rolleyes:
Isn't tinted headlights an oxymoron?
[Image: corey.jpg]

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Don't do it. Unless you enjoy funding your local police department.
lol..just a heads up, my friend has some tinted light covers for his grand am, and at night, he can't see ANYTHING! So, just a heads up
I wouldnt do it Adam. <_<

Your messin with your lights...thats like messing with your eyes dood. Plus I think it would look really bad IMHO. Plus like SVTDavan said, the police would have a feild day with that.

I think its a bad idea personally.
Well, if the light transmission with the rears and grille is indicative of what brightness is like with stock bulbs, I should be ok with Silverstars. Besides, if not, I've wasted a few bucks, some Niteshade, and noone gets hurt. That and I still have the covers for during the day, G2Gs, etc.

I appreciate everyone's honesty, but I won't use it at all if it looks as though it would impede anyone's safety AT ALL.
Might make a cool "show" mod, but definitely NOT a "daily driver" mod!

But if ya just put the 2 top bolts back on the headlights and leave off the bottom it's almost as easy as taking off the covers................ :blink:

Just means you'd have to keep the clear ones in your trunk :lol: Don't take any hard corners!!
Even what you did with the foglights and tiallights is illegal. Just an FYI. Cops see that your sacrificing your lights and your visibility, who knows what they'll charge you with....Technically.....maybe.......Careless driving :blink:

Flofocus,Mar 17 2005, 10:07 PM Wrote:Even what you did with the foglights and tiallights is illegal.  [right][snapback]94321[/snapback][/right]

The foglights are untouchable. They are an option to buy and an option again to use.

I'm not sure why I'm even defending myself here... but as long as they're red (tails) and visible at xxx meters day and night... that's all there is to it. I'm not running a clear solution (which the cops seem to hate more than other aftermarket stuff) or anything else silly. As far as the corners go, it'll be the most sketchy part of my mods, but again... it's a visibility thing. If they're permitting 90+% of the stock light power through, then who cares? As far as the signals go... you can watch them all day long and not realize they're tinted. Double for at night.

It's just kinda funny how some folks are nailing me here on this, when it's an IDEA that might never leave my driveway, when they're modding as well and their mods might not meet another cop's rules. Lowering springs, body mods, intake/header/exhaust, and others... they might all tip off a cop and land you a few love notes. Even tint.

I'm really quite shocked to hear that we either have an alarming number of people who don't understand the concept of "if it's going to prove risky, then I've wasted a few dollars and don't care", or an exceedingly large number of our members are casting stones whilst inhabiting glass houses of their own.

I've been inspected (informally) many times over so far by many members of our local constabulary... and trust me, if North Bay cops wanted to haul me in on this one... they would. I've been pulled over for much less.
an exceedingly large number of our members are casting stones whilst inhabiting glass houses of their own.

BINGO................Like I have a perfect car that isn't illegal. Go ask my insurance company how they like my honesty.
I can understand tinting your taillights and signal lights, those are just emitting light so other people can see you. But tinting lights that are emitting light so you can see other things doesnt really make sense.. like the sunglasses at night.

If you were entering a car show during the day or something that might be cool..

It might make more sense to take the spare headlights apart and paint the inside piece black, like the SVT style..
^^ See, this is why I post. CREATIVE INSPIRATION and CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICSM.

Thank you, Steve. I hadn't thought of that one. I've got the nice dark covers that fit right over the lenses themselves, got them from SL8RZZX3. I was just entertaining the idea of proper light transference through a darkened medium. It may not work at all... and with the right attack, I can undo what I attempt easily.

I just didn't want the damn velcro stuck to the lights, and then have to take them off / put them on again daily. Perhaps now my madness makes sense to more folks.

Anyways, this is all banter and speculation at best till the new assemblies get here next week. Then we can have some REAL fun :D
yea, that makes alot more sense adam, the idea sounds pretty cool, but at some points, unsafe, but still, we all do things that aren't safe, so who are we to criticize. But the only thing that i can garantee you about this lil mod, is that you won't see it around very often, or at all. But people will start to imitate, so be very careful :P , but when you do get it all up and installed, i'd love to see the finished project!
Don't do it man...nothing but trouble..
adam, here's some pics for you, if this is what you are planning on doing, cuase i'm not exactly possitive if this is it or not

[Image: 578_a.jpg]

[Image: 578_d.jpg]

hope they help if this is it
Pages: 1 2