FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Mach Hid Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the topic says! When I turn my high beams on the low beams click off. I know there is a way to bypass that and keep the lows on ALL the time. I am not sure of any safety issues in regards to damaging my headlamps but any info would be appreciated!
Tony: the stock headlights are a dual-filament bulb setup, so when the highbeams are turned on, the low beams turn off.. So basically you want to prevent it from doing this since the mach HID lights have a seperate high/low bulb setup.

The instructions are here: http://www.ofoc.ca/hid/step05.html

I still havent gotten around to doing this yet, since I rarely use my highbeams (I dont do much highway driving, if any).
stock lights.. when you hold the arm both stay open.. if only it would stay like that for highs.. great visibility hehe

you want to keep the high beams low? you can't just "not" put the high beams on then?
BerinG,Nov 8 2004, 11:24 AM Wrote:stock lights.. when you hold the arm both stay open.. if only it would stay like that for highs.. great visibility hehe

you want to keep the high beams low? you can't just "not" put the high beams on then?
if you do that to the stock lights, since theyre a single dual filament bulb for high and low, it is not recommended, as the extra heat generated could cause the bulbs to overheat and burn out a lot quicker. If you have hella dual rounds, or any other light with a seperate high and low beam chamber, then you can benefit from the high-low jumper mod.
yeah thats what i figured about the heat.. else im sure it would've been done
BerinG,Nov 8 2004, 09:24 AM Wrote:stock lights.. when you hold the arm both stay open.. if only it would stay like that for highs.. great visibility hehe
Yeah in the middle position of the headlight "bright' switch, it lights up both high and low.. it's refered to as "flash-to-pass", as you flash your highs and lows to have someone notice that you want to pass them. And like paolo said, the heat generated by using both filaments in the light is too much for the bulb.
you need open up the cover around the steering column, unplug the multifunction switch and jumper two off the holes with a bit of wire.... i think its positions 9 and 10 but its been so long i'm not sure and you should definitely check on that.. i used some of the left over VAG wire that i used to make the harness from the lights to the stock connectors

you need to do this ASAP!

it REALLY helps visibility because switching to high beams not just turns on the high beam bulb it also swings a blocking plate that out of the way that is in place during low beams in the HID projector.. so the HID projector is pretty much just tossing out as much light as it can onto the road.. its an awesome setup..
would this work with my 2002 euro's?
scoobasteve,Nov 17 2004, 10:40 AM Wrote:would this work with my 2002 euro's?
[right][snapback]70318[/snapback][/right]

Yeah it'll work with the euro headlights too.. it's the same idea of having the seperated high and low beams. Just follow the instructions in the link that was posted.
the MACH headlights are DESIGNED to have both lamps on for hi-beams.....

thats why there is a shuter in the projector HID portion....it lifts out of the way and keeps the HID portion lit, and the second bulb turns on....which in turn is your highbeams...if you've been running only the inside bulb for your highbeams you are NUTZO!!!
Focused,Nov 17 2004, 04:42 PM Wrote:thats why there is a shuter in the projector HID portion....it lifts out of the way and keeps the HID portion lit, and the second bulb turns on....which in turn is your highbeams...if you've been running only the inside bulb for your highbeams you are NUTZO!!!
[right][snapback]70374[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, the highbeam halogen part of the Mach headlights is probably less bright than the Xenon lowbeam.. They need to work together to get a really bright highbeam.

I havent gotten around to doing the jumper wire to mine, but I rarely ever drive outside of the city so I just havent bothered. If you do a lot of highway driving with your brights on, make sure you do this.

I'm not sure what the deal with the european headlights are, I'm not sure if the european cars are designed to have both bulbs light up in the "bright" mode.. you might want to ask a european how their car came stock. The mod will still work either way, but they might not have been intended to both be used during highbeam mode.
guilty,Nov 17 2004, 11:51 PM Wrote:Yeah, the highbeam halogen part of the Mach headlights is probably less bright than the Xenon lowbeam.. They need to work together to get a really bright highbeam.

[right][snapback]70386[/snapback][/right]

PROBABLY?!?!?!?!?! :ph34r: the halogen highbeam is like a little flashlight compared to the HID projector..

i think any setup with separate bulbs for high and low beam is meant to have both bulbs on when the high beams are on
naz,Nov 17 2004, 10:42 PM Wrote:
guilty,Nov 17 2004, 11:51 PM Wrote:Yeah, the highbeam halogen part of the Mach headlights is probably less bright than the Xenon lowbeam.. They need to work together to get a really bright highbeam.

[right][snapback]70386[/snapback][/right]

PROBABLY?!?!?!?!?! :ph34r: the halogen highbeam is like a little flashlight compared to the HID projector..

i think any setup with separate bulbs for high and low beam is meant to have both bulbs on when the high beams are on
[right][snapback]70418[/snapback][/right]

The halogen highbeam is designed for "Flash to Pass" when your hid lights are off, this is mostly for those US guys who dont have DRL's, because it would be pretty stupid to power up the HID Highbeam xenons for a flash to pass, and then turn it off again, not to mention its not healthy for the HID electronics IF you do it a lot of times.