FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Flex pipe replacement on '05 ZX5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've come to the forum in hopes to get some ideas from the pros on what to do in my situation.

I've got a broken section in the flexible pipe connecting the exhaust lines to the catalytic converter which goes up to the engine.

It just happens that Ford has made the exhaust manifold, catalytic converter and flexible pipe a single assembly.Dodgy..this means replacing something as simple as a flexible pipe will cost a whopping $700 (only part price) & several hours of labour.

Has anyone else end up having the same issue? Did you replace the entire assembly or do you know of a shop in Toronto that can just weld on a new pipe?

I've attached photos for everyone to get an idea what this area looks like. (got the photos from other websites)

Quick info from this link too:
http://duratec.wikispaces.com/modification-header
(05-04-2011, 02:55 PM)JoE Wrote: [ -> ]I've come to the forum in hopes to get some ideas from the pros on what to do in my situation.

I've got a broken section in the flexible pipe connecting the exhaust lines to the catalytic converter which goes up to the engine.

It just happens that Ford has made the exhaust manifold, catalytic converter and flexible pipe a single assembly.Dodgy..this means replacing something as simple as a flexible pipe will cost a whopping $700 (only part price) & several hours of labour.

Has anyone else end up having the same issue? Did you replace the entire assembly or do you know of a shop in Toronto that can just weld on a new pipe?

I've attached photos for everyone to get an idea what this area looks like. (got the photos from other websites)

Quick info from this link too:
http://duratec.wikispaces.com/modification-header

Welcome - how many km and is your car auto or stick?

Too bad about the flex pipe ... FWIW that price is excellent for the entire assembly you mention.

Have you taken it to an independent exhaust shop? Just about anyone with decent welding skills should be able to cut out the old flex pipe and weld in a new one.

While you're at it you should also address any possible cause of flex pipe failure such as missing or unattached exhaust hangars, or failed engine mounts.

I can recommend a shop in Brampton that I trust ... where are you located?
I was going to say pretty much what ZTW said^^^
Just go to a exhaust shop and have them weld in a new flex pipe.
I have one if you want it. call it $200 and I'll drop it off too you.

This is cause by the rear engine mount flexing too much so upgrade that too.
Ya I have one aswell off my 07 that is under a year old.

Would likely be best to get another manifold and swap it out unless you get a header
(05-04-2011, 10:24 PM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]Ya I have one aswell off my 07 that is under a year old.

Would likely be best to get another manifold and swap it out unless you get a header

Yours should be a 2 piece where mine is an exact replacement.

It's got 45,000KM on it maybe less.

But if you get a header get a new mount and prepare to have the flex pipe from the new header to have a leak aswell. you'll need a custom flex done for the header is what I'm saying.
see i knew these guys could help you out^^^^ - Johnathan at Cruickshank ford....