FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gaming News
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Price drop for PS3 of 100$US starts July 12;
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/archives/100-...rts-july-12.php

Microsoft announces 3-year 360 warrenty extension;
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/petermooreletter.htm B)
People still won't buy a ps3.
WII sales will still kill both ps3 and 360 for a while yet. It hit the right pricepoint and its fun.
Hrm, I guess with the strength of the CDN $ vs. the US $ Sony will pull a fast one and only cut the CDN MSRP by $100CDN.

It'll mean those overpriced PS3 bundles at Costco should drop to $659 then <_< (Most of which are covered in a layer of dust at the GTA Costcos I've been to :P)

NefCanuck
I wish one format would win out in the HD wars so I can buy a new console and get a new HD player at the same time.

Kev's right tho.. I'm addicted to our new Wii. Boxing is a great bit of cardio once you get 5-6 bouts in a row with higher-skilled players.
Just a couple of questions.

How many of you actually have played a PS3 for any period of time?

How many of you have priced an XBox with the optional HDDVD drive that's only good for watching movies and not data?

Seriously, and honestly, 9/10 of people that rag on the PS3 have never played on one, or done the price comparison.

And you can't compare the Wii to the PS3. That's like comparing a Focus to a Porsche. The Focus is cheaper, fun to drive and peppy. But it's not a Porsche. Not knocking the Wii -- I have both the Wii and the PS3.

Not trying to be a Sony fanboy, or defending my purchase; I like my PS3. It gets used a lot. My kids have the Wii in their room, given the choice, they'd rather play the PS3 most days.
OAC_Sparky,Jul 6 2007, 03:00 PM Wrote:Just a couple of questions.

How many of you have priced an XBox with the optional HDDVD drive that's only good for watching movies and not data?

Seriously, and honestly, 9/10 of people that rag on the PS3 have never played on one, or done the price comparison.

Not trying to be a Sony fanboy, or defending my purchase; I like my PS3. It gets used a lot. My kids have the Wii in their room, given the choice, they'd rather play the PS3 most days.
[right][snapback]243323[/snapback][/right]

Hey, I'm a Sony fanboy too (I own a PS2, my TV is a Sony) but they priced the console way too high for me to considering it anything other than a "I'll buy one when a game comes out I must play" purchase.

If Sony was serious about retaining the lead in the console wars they would have never positioned the PS3 where they did in the marketplace (high end)

Maybe they saw the writing on the wall and figured to let M$ blow their brains out trying to become the leader and that Sony would just stay in their niche... Of course they never expected the Wii to dominate the family part of the market like they have either...

Sony doesn't just shoot themselves in the foot.... they take the time and care to RELOAD! :lol:

NefCanuck
OAC_Sparky,Jul 6 2007, 08:00 PM Wrote:Just a couple of questions.

and have you played the X360 for any length of time?
FocusGuy7476,Jul 6 2007, 08:32 PM Wrote:
OAC_Sparky,Jul 6 2007, 08:00 PM Wrote:Just a couple of questions.

and have you played the X360 for any length of time?
[right][snapback]243339[/snapback][/right]
Yes, I have.

But I don't bash the xBox. Despite a high failure rate on them (hence the warranty extension). That's the difference.

That's my point. I hear people waaawaaawaaa about the cost of the PS3, that there are "no good games for it". But most have never played it. Most PS3 gamers have played the xBox at one time or another.

But consider:
  • The xBox Elite with optional HDDrive falls within $25 of the PS3<>
  • the PS3 can access the 50gb on the BluRay for data as well, the xBox can't. Watching movies aside, that means that xBox games are stuck under 9gb forever. while PS3 games can be bigger and uncompressed. <>
  • PlaystationNetwork is free, the xBox service is a pay subscription.<>
  • the PS3 plays all the PS2 games, including Guitar Hero. So it's not like there are NO games for it.<>
  • while there are not a ton of &quot;exclusives&quot; yet, they are coming. We already have Resistance:Fall of Man, Warhawk is coming, Final FantasyXIII, Ratchet and Clank and Little Big Planet are coming soon.<>
  • And if you haven't heard of it yet, wait until you see &quot;Home&quot;.<>
    [st]As I said, I'm not bashing the xBox. It's got an established library, etc. etc. etc. The point I'm making is don't bash the PS3 until you've at least spent some time on it.
Id rather a ps2 or xbox over a wii anyday the whole remote and movement thing is cool but the games are all for kids just like every other nintendo ever made , Im more into mature games with violence and shooting and adventure not cartoons ,zelda and mario! Thats just my opinion Ive played all 3 and until there cheap ill continue to use the ps2 for the whole 10 min a month I use it .. Never seen a ps3 on a plasma but seen 360 and it looks amazing.
Wii all the way.

I'm a kid, and will forever be one.
I have a buddy's 360 Premium sitting here right now till he comes to get it next week before moving to New Brunswick. I've played with it, but even at 1080i resolution I'm not that impressed with it. To be fair, I should rent Forza 2 if I can find a copy for rental and try it before he goes. I'm just not that motivated to play it (he has Halo 2 and COD3 for it).

I'm not comparing the Wii to either the 360 or the PS3... it just seems to me that the Wii is a lot more &quot;useful&quot; than the others. However, if I had the chance to watch a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD movie on the respective consoles my opinion might change.

EDIT - there are plenty of &quot;graphic&quot; games out there, including Resident Evil 4. It is also the newest of the &quot;new gen&quot; consoles, so give it time to catch up. There's all kinds of crap for both the 360 and the PS3 I'd never be caught dead playing. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is the same game on all 4 major platforms (PC, Wii, PS3, 360) and I wasn't disappointed playing it on the Wii even though I also own it for the PC and play it with the res/options cranked.
I kinda of can't go out an play a PS3 for any length of time, I would love to play it for about a week or so to see what its all about, but I don't know anyone in my group of friends that have one cause they all bought X360s.

I was very close to buying a PS2 but picked up an Xbox instead cause Wal-Mart was all out of the PS2.

As for watching a movie on a console, I'd rather not, I use for what its meant to be used for and thats playing games. Have a killer set up already for watching movies.
My wife bought me a PS2 a few years ago for a b-day present. I played about 50 hours on it, with different games, online as well....and now it sits in a cupboard gathering dust. I went back to PC gaming.

As for the price drop, great news, but...meh...shouldn't be that high in the first place. I mean, what do you get (on any console this is)...a 'computer system' that can only do certain things, with certain disks/cartridges, on specific networks etc etc. Whereas with a PC, you can do, or 'emulate' all those things, AND do a lot more, for not much more money. AND, you can UPGRADE a PC without spending a ton on 'specific' hardware/software.

Yes, I know I have put it very pointedly, and there are a lot of arguments for having a console, but come on....it's a bit of a fan thing no? These companies know that they will get ppl to buy, so they mass advertise this 'great' piece of technology, that can't do nearly half of a PC workhorse. It's the same old story of a company playing to the demands of buyers, in this case gamers, and then saying sure, we'll give you that, but please bend over so we can ream you for it.

As for the Xbox extended warranty, I'm sure they made a lot of people happy. But what they are really afraid of is a class action against them, and ending up paying millions out to correct it, AND get a bad name. There are lots of websites out there that have players moaning about the failures...wouldn't be long before someone suggested a case against them.

/Rant :lol:

Flame on!
I'll say this about all three systems.

360 - few good games out for it and I'll buy one in the next 8 - 12 months when the price comes down a little more, as I've already started buying games for it, and most up coming game titles coming on the 360 are for game titles I've been waiting for, like Resident Evil 5.

PS3 - I do want one, but it will be about a year or more before I buy it because it's too far out of my price range, and as some people mentioned and I agree there arn't any games out there on it I like on that system.

Wii - I'd buy it only to have friends over or my nephews, so they can all play at the same time, I have yet to find any games I like other then the typical &quot;party night with friends or nephew friendly&quot; titles like Mario Cart, Party.... or anthing with Mario Bros in the title of it.
OAC_Sparky,Jul 9 2007, 07:30 PM Wrote:http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...ogon=&langid=FR
[right][snapback]243546[/snapback][/right]
$549 CDN, wow! Now just bring it down another $249 or let me play GT5 and I'll buy one..... I think Sony can afford to toss a new 60&quot; LCD into the package too :lol:
BTW my PS2 has been great with no problems whatsoever.
OAC_Sparky,Jul 7 2007, 06:10 AM Wrote:The point I'm making is don't bash the PS3 until you've at least spent some time on it.
I smell a PS3 party at Sparky's! (or did the dog just fart)
Trust me, everyone knows when MY dog farts.

Greyhounds... :blink:
A new 80gig with motorstorm and maybe rumble will be for sale in August for 599$ US B)
Pages: 1 2