FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Power Steering Fluid. (filling)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can I just unscrew the top of the bottle and fill the fluid under the hood? Is it a charged line?

I don't need to bleed lines and s*** do I?
ANTHONYD,Apr 3 2007, 09:27 AM Wrote:Can I just unscrew the top of the bottle and fill the fluid under the hood? Is it a charged line?

I don't need to bleed lines and s*** do I?
[right][snapback]233015[/snapback][/right]
Unscrew the cap and fill her up. If it is really low, that may be the whining noise you hear. Mine has a slow leak, probably from wrestling the resevoir around when working on the alternator, etc. Something to fix during the warm weather, if it ever gets here
It's just a reservoir like the brake( clutch ) oil reservoir between the firewall and the air box.No pressure in there.

You need to add some ? It's must be leaking somewhere , this thing can't evaporate..
Cool.

I'm pretty sure it's NOT the cause for the whining noise. Would low power steering cause flickering and dimming of lights?
ANTHONYD,Apr 3 2007, 11:04 AM Wrote:Cool.

I'm pretty sure it's NOT the cause for the whining noise. [right][snapback]233023[/snapback][/right]

yes, escpecially when its low.

When i swapped my new engine in, the car would whine a bit when turning the wheel to its max position. I had Ford bleed the power steering and my problem was gone.
ANTHONYD,Apr 3 2007, 11:04 AM Wrote:Would low power steering cause flickering and dimming of lights?
[right][snapback]233023[/snapback][/right]

I don't think so , my lights a flickering on my 00 ZX3 and can't figure out what is causing that... I cleaned all ground that I was able to find and no amelioration... :(
um.. my focus, and even the stang will often experience flickering lights and whatnot when idling.

Anyways, just top up the steering fluid.. there's a max fill line you don't want to go above and that's about it.
ANTHONYD,Apr 3 2007, 11:04 AM Wrote:Cool.

I'm pretty sure it's NOT the cause for the whining noise. Would low power steering cause flickering and dimming of lights?
[right][snapback]233023[/snapback][/right]
Your right, the low fluid won't cause the flickering and dimming, but, the low fluid makes the pump work harder, and the pump will whine. Regardless, the fluid is just a top up, no bleeding or pumping needed.
my ac compressor went bunk and that caused my lights to flicker when idling... but my resovoir was low too so i did top it off just incase ya know...