FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Fine Scratches In Window Tint?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yet another issue cropping up with the stang.

THere's a lot (5 visible on one window, 3 on the other) of vertical scratches on the tint from apparently rolling the window down and up. They're not horrendously visible, but still a concern.

Now I had the focus for 4 years and never had an issue....

just curious if anyone else has this issue.. I'm pretty pissed that it's another thing to deal with...
darkpuppet,Nov 4 2006, 02:40 PM Wrote:Yet another issue cropping up with the stang.

THere's a lot (5 visible on one window, 3 on the other) of vertical scratches on the tint from apparently rolling the window down and up.  They're not horrendously visible, but still a concern.

Now I had the focus for 4 years and never had an issue....

just curious if anyone else has this issue.. I'm pretty pissed that it's another thing to deal with...
[right][snapback]214585[/snapback][/right]
Have you tried to use a tint-friendly (ie. no ammonia like windex) cleaner on it to make sure they're scratches? I use Rain-X glass/plastic cleaner.

If they used cheap tint or didn't clean the schlegels that can scratch up the tint.
I had an issue with the T-bird similiar to what your having.

It wasn't the tint that was scratched, but the window itself.

What the issue was for me was there are pads that hold the window in place in the door itself. I had to have the pads replaced. But that was on a 10 year old car, not on a new stang.

If those pads get dirty, they would scratch the tint.
yeah, I was wondering if the pads were causing the grief..... they don't seem to be dirty...

I honestly don't know what to do.. .. this is really starting to suck. I honestly never had such issues with the focus.

Gonna call the dealership up and start the complaining again. They are definitely scratches in the tint.
yea my dads excursion has a few light scratches in the tint, its a factory tint, but you can notice a scratch because it has a light purple glow around it.
Could have something to do with the quality of the tint. I'm sure having the dealer handle the tint install means that you got the cheapest crap tint that money can buy.
bluetoy,Nov 5 2006, 09:35 AM Wrote:Could have something to do with the quality of the tint. I'm sure having the dealer handle the tint install means that you got the cheapest crap tint that money can buy.
[right][snapback]214648[/snapback][/right]

considering I still have to go back to have the rear window redone a 3rd time, I'm going to raise a fuss. The car shouldn't be going for a s*** 2 months into ownership...
I'd say it's got to do with quality of tint, also, I was told by the guys who did mine not to put the window up or down for a couple of days to make sure it dried and cured properly. A friend of mine didn't heed to that advice and ended up with scratches galore.

Most reputable tint shops now offer lifetime guarantee's on the tint as well.
Yup, another vote against the tint itself here. We had our tint done almost 2 years ago now, and aside from a touchup last spring on the back window... nothing.

I've nicked the tint on the driver's door and left it scratched, but that's my fault.
darkpuppet,Nov 5 2006, 10:25 AM Wrote:
bluetoy,Nov 5 2006, 09:35 AM Wrote:Could have something to do with the quality of the tint. I'm sure having the dealer handle the tint install means that you got the cheapest crap tint that money can buy.
[right][snapback]214648[/snapback][/right]

considering I still have to go back to have the rear window redone a 3rd time, I'm going to raise a fuss. The car shouldn't be going for a s*** 2 months into ownership...
[right][snapback]214657[/snapback][/right]

Why does all feel so familiar?
Sorry to hear about your hassles with the tint DP...

THIS is why I'm scared to tint my windows... one scratch and I'll be staring at it forever :ph34r:

NefCanuck
I have a scratched tint on my car as well.....

This is the reason why I'm removing them next summer. :(
well, I did a bit of reading up, and the dealership called back..

Apparently, from the reading I've been doing, this is a very common issue with the new stangs... even to the point where the glass on untinted vehicles is getting scored.

Apparently, the outside strip is a felt-lined strip, while the interior one isn't. So even the most minute particle gathers on the pressure points (the front-leading curve) and scratches the window.

The solution is to install a felt pad liner, like automotive moleskin. Strong adhesive, thin felt..

apparently that does the job just dandily.

I honestly don't know why this doesn't get caught BEFORE there's a problem. Maybe it took me saying, "I think your tint guy is actually quite s***ty" to get them to take me seriously. I dunno.. But maybe the 3rd tint will do the trick.

Of course, the aftermarket wheels are also rubbing in some circumstances... I told them they probably should have installed a wheel spacer instead of grinding the cast flashings off the brakes ('cause now the front ones are rusting?!)... hopefully they figure that out. hehe.. if it takes a wheel spacer to fix the rubbing, I think I'll push them to replace the brakes they ruined.

Now if only I could figure out why the car decides to rattle less when I take the QA manager for a drive. I wonder if he's leaning on the parts that are rattling....

to be honest, this car is a throwback to the old stangs in more than just looks... The build quality is a throwback as well.
I really feel for you, dude. I thought you had a nice buy there.

I know you're buying because I did the online lease estimator last week for s***s and giggles... 11+%????? :o THAT'S INSANE.
wow.. maybe you should definitely stay away from leasing.

My lease rate is MUCH, MUCH lower than that. I wish my line of credit had interest that low.
darkpuppet,Nov 9 2006, 06:07 PM Wrote:Of course, the aftermarket wheels are also rubbing in some circumstances... I told them they probably should have installed a wheel spacer instead of grinding the cast flashings off the brakes ('cause now the front ones are rusting?!)... hopefully they figure that out.  hehe.. if it takes a wheel spacer to fix the rubbing, I think I'll push them to replace the brakes they ruined.

[right][snapback]215284[/snapback][/right]

I wonder if they ordered the proper wheels. there are 2 18" wheels depending on your original wheel size. You'll see if you look through the accesories catalouge.
I didn't notice that last I checked.. I better go check again.

Do you know off-hand what the part number for the 18" black aluminum wheels to fit my car (originally 16" aluminum)?

It would be too funny if they screwed that up...
your sounding like me 6 years ago. When I bought a Ford. :P :lol:
somewhere over the past 4 years I forgot about having the tint redone on the focus twice and having the body kit re-installed 3 times (and never to my satisfaction).

kinda like how women seem to forget the pains of childbirth so easily.
darkpuppet,Nov 9 2006, 05:07 PM Wrote:well, I did a bit of reading up, and the dealership called back..

Apparently, from the reading I've been doing, this is a very common issue with the new stangs... even to the point where the glass on untinted vehicles is getting scored.

Apparently, the outside strip is a felt-lined strip, while the interior one isn't.  So even the most minute particle gathers on the pressure points (the front-leading curve) and scratches the window.

The solution is to install a felt pad liner, like automotive moleskin.  Strong adhesive, thin felt..

apparently that does the job just dandily. 

to be honest, this car is a throwback to the old stangs in more than just looks... The build quality is a throwback as well.
[right][snapback]215284[/snapback][/right]

Whoa, I didn't realize they had been deleting the inner felt lining on the door strip, that's just begging for problems because unless you decontaminate yourself every time you get in the car and only enter & exit the car in sealed environment and don't actually drive outside, you're gonna have dust that'll get in that channel :blink:

No, if it was a true throwback DP you'd have massive rusting issues and electrical gremlins out the wazoo... My dad can tell you some horror stories from his '67 Stang...

NefCanuck
Pages: 1 2