FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Flex Pipe Replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

I've had my Focus for some time now and hadn't had to do any work on it until now. I will apologize in advace, I owned an Eagle Talon in the past so I'm used to doing work on the car so my questions are more out of lack of experience doing the same work on the Focus.

I own a 2003 Ford Focus ZX5

1. I need to replace the flex pipe. Does it just bolt up to the motor and then bolts on to the catback or do I need to saw it off?

2. is replacing the fuel filter a PITA or relative easy? (the talon was a major PITA)
drbadskwerl,Oct 2 2009, 10:44 AM Wrote:Hello All,

I've had my Focus for some time now and hadn't had to do any work on it until now.  I will apologize in advace, I owned an Eagle Talon in the past so I'm used to doing work on the car so my questions are more out of lack of experience doing the same work on the Focus.

I own a 2003 Ford Focus ZX5

1.  I need to replace the flex pipe.  Does it just bolt up to the motor and then bolts on to the catback or do I need to saw it off?

2.  is replacing the fuel filter a PITA or relative easy?  (the talon was a major PITA)
[right][snapback]295308[/snapback][/right]

Flew I can't help you there, I have a Duratec motor.
The fuelfilter is a PITA but only if you have new fuel filter clips to the replace the ones you are garranteed to break lol. if not then place them back in the slots and use a zip tie to keep them there. Other than that its a walk in the park. right side of car just before the rear suspension against the rear seat floor.
flex bolts on to header then on to the cat back.

very easy to replace on a hoist lol

Jmountney1,Oct 2 2009, 03:45 PM Wrote:flex bolts on to header then on to the cat back.

very easy to replace on a hoist lol
[right][snapback]295329[/snapback][/right]
it's just that some of the forums talk about needing to saw off the exhaust at the muffler... or is that replacing the entire exhaust?

also, this is a dumb question, how do i tell what type of motor i have? haha
2000-2004 with Z (ZX3, ZX5, ZTS, ZTW) in the model = Zetec engine

2000-2004 sedans and wagons with no fog lights usually = SPI engine

2000-2004 sedans and wagons with fog lights usually = Zetec engine

2005-up = Duratec engine

Exhaust on Zetec = bolt connections between engine to end of flex (engine - header - cat - flex - rest of exhaust)

It is usually the rest of the exhaust part that is one piece that has to be sawn out when replacing with aftermarket flex-back exhaust.
I changed my flex pipe by using only 2 jack stands.....no hoist required.

Changed my fuel filter by using jacks as well...took me about 40min to do. I re-used the stock clips. Using tie-wraps is not a good idea mate.
Chalk your wheels and get dirty... No need to spend money for a hoist.

Header,Down pipe,Flex,Full Exhaust took me 4 hours, All with Jack stands.

Time for the Men to stand infront of the boys...

All BS Aside, If i could use a hoist i would.