FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: The Pony-car Wars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I saw this on Car and driver.com, and I though it was a good question and poll, So what do you think Canada, what Pony car do you think will win this round of pony car battles?
its could be either one of those options.

Dodge has the 6.1 Hemi going in the Challenger, but not sure what there is for support for the Hemi yet.

GM has the LS7 427 that could go in new Camaro, but the styling looks horrible and the aftermarket support will come easy with the LS1 and LS2 engines. from what i hear that GM will use an Independent Rear Suspension, which isn't modder friendly

Ford has the Modular motors and there is a lot of support for that engine, plus the current chasis has been around for awhile.

my vote for the Ford Mustang.
I vote the Stang. GM will always be behind of Ford and Dodge in my books... even if sales numbers prove otherwise.
I'm going to have to say the challenger!
From the Woodward Dream Cruise Press events

Dodge Challenger Press Event

and the Reply from Dodge

"Take that Chevy"

and the summary:

[Image: challenger.jpg]

Either way, im gonna Rock the Bowtie!!!!
I voted 'Stang for several reasons:

1) It will be cheaper than the two newest competitors and Ford wil have room to discount since the tooling for the bodystyle is already paid for.

2) The support network is already there, this gives the 'Stang a huge advantage in the eyes of the modding crowd.

3) As far as we know, only the Mustang comes with a smaller more efficent motor, in these days of $1/L gas, that means something.

4) No one is sure how much long term corporate support is behind the DCX & GM entries. Remember only the Mustang has been around continuously since '64.

Just my observations, take 'em for what they're worth

NefCanuck
I voted camaro, because it is a really good looking car, and I like the independent rear suspension. Screw the idea it's expensive to modify... going around corners is my primary concern.

Of course, the reality of it is that Ford should have already won... because the layman/woman doesn't seem care about handling/etc.. only power and looks.

And the stang has power and looks, not to mention affordable models at the bottom of the product pile that kids in school can afford...Ford also has the multi-year headstart .. they find themselves in the enviable position of being ahead off the starting line.

But that being said, they're going to lose in some aspects if they don't work to make changes. People who can afford the more expensive camaro will probably buy the camaro.. it's seems to be the better car all around... independent rears > solid axles. Not to mention it has the look and the powertrains to compete.

now the dodge challenger... when did dodge decide to go with the narrow front grill? it was the one great thing about the charger, and the one thing that's absolutely missing from the challenger. I dunno.. I think it's going to bomb considering the lack of buzz i seem to be hearing about it.

So really, I could only pick a loser right now.. the challenger.

The stang should maintain it's lead for a year or two, but the camaro could end up on top if they can offer affordable models.
darkpuppet,Aug 16 2006, 10:26 AM Wrote:I voted camaro, because it is a really good looking car, and I like the independent rear suspension.  Screw the idea it's expensive to modify... going around corners is my primary concern.

Of course, the reality of it is that Ford should have already won... because the layman/woman doesn't seem care about handling/etc.. only power and looks.

And the stang has power and looks, not to mention affordable models at the bottom of the product pile that kids in school can afford...Ford also has  the multi-year headstart .. they find themselves in the enviable position of being ahead off the starting line.

But that being said, they're going to lose in some aspects if they don't work to make changes.  People who can afford the more expensive camaro will probably buy the camaro.. it's seems to be the better car all around... independent rears > solid axles.  Not to mention it has the look and the powertrains to compete.

now the dodge challenger... when did dodge decide to go with the narrow front grill?  it was the one great thing about the charger, and the one thing that's absolutely missing from the challenger.  I dunno.. I think it's going to bomb considering the lack of buzz i seem to be hearing about it.

So really, I could only pick a loser right now.. the challenger.

The stang should maintain it's lead for a year or two, but the camaro could end up on top if they can offer affordable models.
[right][snapback]202577[/snapback][/right]

Not sure on the lack of buzz about the challenger. Apparently the 30,000 that are being built in the first year have all have been pre-ordered/sold. I know at all the chrysler dealerships i go to. they say they're all sold out for the first run
^-- that's interesting.

I went to a couple dealerships in Toronto, and they had no idea what the challenger was.

hmmm... maybe it'll do well afterall...
I'm torn between all 3. I love the classic versions of all of those cars. Recently, the LS1-powered Camaro would be the one I'd take in a heartbeat (SS please!), and although the Mustang is "new", the transmission and rear suspension scream old school.

The Challenger is the unknown here. I want to love it, but until I see it haul ass... my vote's for the Camaro.
Here is a spy shot of the challenger!

Challenger Spy Shot

some more
I like all three, but I vouch for the Challenger.

Nothing says lovin' like a 426 Hemi!!! B)
Oscar The Grouch,Aug 16 2006, 03:47 PM Wrote:I like all three, but I vouch for the Challenger. 

Nothing says lovin' like a 426 Hemi!!! B)
[right][snapback]202613[/snapback][/right]

6.1 litres does not equal 426 cubic inchs, would be cool to have a 7.5 litre injected hemi.
apparently the 6.4 hemi will be released for the Challenger SRT...

I'd be happy with a man-tran conversion for my 5.7
scoobasteve,Aug 16 2006, 12:53 PM Wrote:apparently the 6.4 hemi will be released for the Challenger SRT...

[right][snapback]202627[/snapback][/right]

what would an old man need with a man-tran?
FocusGuy7476,Aug 16 2006, 12:05 PM Wrote:6.1 litres does not equal 426 cubic inchs, would be cool to have a 7.5 litre injected hemi.
[right][snapback]202618[/snapback][/right]

f*** killjoy.

I'd still find a 426 and wedge it in.
darkpuppet,Aug 16 2006, 01:00 PM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Aug 16 2006, 12:53 PM Wrote:apparently the 6.4 hemi will be released for the Challenger SRT...

[right][snapback]202627[/snapback][/right]

what would an old man need with a man-tran?
[right][snapback]202628[/snapback][/right]

Not suffer from 25-30% drive train loss...

or a torque converter that never fully locks. Damn Benz!
scoobasteve,Aug 16 2006, 01:03 PM Wrote:Not suffer from 25-30% drive train loss...

or a torque converter that never fully locks.  Damn Benz!
[right][snapback]202630[/snapback][/right]

the non-locking torque converter is to address the issue of senior citizens who drive with their foot on the brake. :P OLD MAN CAR!!
Old man car eh?

I can finally say... my car's faster than yours and my wheels have no sparkle.

lets race :P
I'll take one of those CTS-Vs in the meantime.

In the meantime, Scoob gets Park, Reverse, Neutral, DAMN KIDS. :D
Pages: 1 2