FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Which Gloss Paint Do I Use?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I got myself a coupe style front grill that is primed in matte black. I think it will look a bit dull, so I want to apply a coat of gloss on it so it stands out a bit more, especially when the car is clean. I was looking on the Canadian Tire site and there seems to be quite a few options..

What should I go with?
I guess we don't have painters here lol
tetra,Sep 5 2009, 11:33 PM Wrote:I guess we don't have painters here lol
[right][snapback]293829[/snapback][/right]
Well I'm no painter - but here's what I learned when getting my grille painted (and one option I considered was painting it myself) ... best to use automotive colour and clear coat and best to have a flex additive when painting plastic.

I don't think I'd recommend doing a clearcoat over black primer ... I think you should use gloss black paint ... and then perhaps a clearcoat.

Most bodyship supply companies can mix up the appropriate paint and put it into an industrial size spray bomb for you ... costs quite a bit more than the Crappy Tire rattle cans, but apparently the results are much better.

Of course you can always go the route I did ... pay a bodyshop to do it. My results were awesome (totally factory looking) and so far no chipping, fading or any kind of problem whatsoever and it's been six months now.
I agree with ZTW. I did my grill surround with canadian tire automotive clearcoat, several coats within the recommended time and then allowed to cure for over 7 days. It still chipped within a month.

If you're going to rattle can it, be prepared to wet sand and polish it otherwise you won't get a nice finish.

-George
if you are getting spray can from canadian tire, get universal black..
there is 2 type, 1 is with metallic in it and another one is gloss..

you cannot do anything with chipping..because spray can clear coat does not use catalyst in it to make it durable..
tetra,Sep 5 2009, 11:33 PM Wrote:I guess we don't have painters here lol
[right][snapback]293829[/snapback][/right]

before paint

[Image: 000_0235.jpg]

and after

[Image: 000_0251.jpg]

I painted mine body colour to match my car, btw this is the st170 grille
Well I don't have the grille in my posession yet. But it will be in matte black. Do you think I should just apply some clearcoat over it to make it shine a bit? I'm leaning towards this instead of painting it with black gloss and then clearcoating it. Think it would work?
Not sure that you can just clean it & clearacoat it and have the clearcoat last.

I think you're stuck doing full prep/paint/clearcoat if you want a properly done job, but that just IMO.

NefCanuck
Ive seen a black 08 coupe with the grill painted to match, it was gloss black and it turned out very nice.

I don't mind the chrome on the grill, its the mirror caps that make me hate my car.
Let me know how yours turns out, :D
You might want to try Krylon Fusion for plastic if you don't want to pat $35 for a custom mixed can. Available at CTC for around $9.
Good call, I'll check that out.