FocusCanada Forums
Complete Suspension/Brake Overhaul Part 2 Starts this weekend. - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focus on Performance (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Complete Suspension/Brake Overhaul Part 2 Starts this weekend. (/showthread.php?tid=17895)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Complete Suspension/Brake Overhaul Part 2 Starts this weekend. - Focus man. Focus. - 05-14-2010

Well it looks as if I am going to do a complete suspension overhaul when I do my Rear SVT Sub-frame swap. I currently have the Eibach Pro-Kit springs on my Focus. What struts do you guys think I should use? I plan on keeping the springs I currently have on the car.

I will require the following items:

Front & Rear struts
Front Camber Plates
Rear upper strut mounts
Ball Joints
Tie-rod ends

To go along with the items I already need for my rear brake swap.

Ball joints and tie-rod ends are easy to find and choose, but what struts to use? Should I pick up some SVT replacements or find a KYB retailer? This is NOT a track car, just a Commuter Car. It will not be used in any performance application. but I do want some quality items. Any input my fellow FC members could provide would be awsome.

I would prefer the supplier to be local, as I cannot wait to long and I would prefer not to pay duty at the border. Ken, you going to the States anytime soon?

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - drunkinmonkey - 05-14-2010

i say go koni yellows there on sale right now for 50% off i believe
our shop is a koni dealer... northern motorsports

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Focus man. Focus. - 05-14-2010

Can you get me a price for a set of front and rears Monkey?

I was quoted a price on KYB AGX's $208 ea. for fronts and $130 ea. for the rears. Probably overkill for me but still better than stock replacements, right?

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - SL8RZZX3 - 05-14-2010

I don't think you need the camber plates with only a 1.5" drop.
I never needed them with my Eibach sportlines, only used the EIbach camber bolts for the rears

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - GFXjamie - 05-14-2010

just get some SVT dampeners if your only looking for a DD status. also like stated, you dont need plates for the front. I'm on sport lines and the rear look to need bolts but fronts are mint. no wear issues and that's a 2" drop

so just grab some rear camber bolts and ask ken for some svt's. if you dont want SVT's grab some gr2 kyb struts. they are like a factory replacement with slightly better valving

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Oscar The Grouch - 05-14-2010

See my old thread for some ideas. I went all out for suspension. I'd recommend adjustable shocks, but they are really expensive.

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=275

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - ZTWsquared - 05-14-2010

(05-14-2010, 06:27 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: just get some SVT dampeners if your only looking for a DD status. also like stated, you dont need plates for the front. I'm on sport lines and the rear look to need bolts but fronts are mint. no wear issues and that's a 2" drop

so just grab some rear camber bolts and ask ken for some svt's. if you dont want SVT's grab some gr2 kyb struts. they are like a factory replacement with slightly better valving

^^x2 - and you shouldn't need the front camber plates (but I do recommend the rear camber bolts) ... my multimatic springs are spoken for, but I have a virtually new set of SVT dampers available (maybe 2500 clicks) ... and for a lot less than new. PM me if interested.

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Scorcher000 - 05-14-2010

Kev, if you want the KYB's like I have. I'll get you the price with Mounts, belows, and struts and shocks.

About $730 i can get you the kit. Maybe a lil more. but thats with tax

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - drunkinmonkey - 05-14-2010

i believe when i looked into it it was front and rears for 380 if i remember i can double check for you tomorrow
oops sorry your looking at 325ish for fronts and the same for rears so about 650 after taxes but like i said i will double check at work tomorrow

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Focus man. Focus. - 05-14-2010

(05-14-2010, 07:37 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: ^^x2 - and you shouldn't need the front camber plates (but I do recommend the rear camber bolts) ... my multimatic springs are spoken for, but I have a virtually new set of SVT dampers available (maybe 2500 clicks) ... and for a lot less than new. PM me if interested.

PM'd

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Focus man. Focus. - 05-19-2010

Well getting the tires for my O-Z's tomorrow, and hopefully some suspension parts from Ken. Going to the Falls for the weekend so the teardown and re-build will begin next week. I will post up pic's of the progress as I go along.

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Focus man. Focus. - 05-25-2010

Picked up a compressor from CTC on sale yesterday. Got the suspension from Ken, and wheels installed on Thursday. Install going froward this week. Just need to locate a spring compressor and a four stands and I should be good to go. Anybody willing to volunteer some time to assist?

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Mystake - 05-25-2010

where do you live? and the most I can assist is by watching and leg work... seeing as I've never done this before I don't know what it entails.

Scarborough, McCowan and Lawrence area.

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Spinal - 05-25-2010

i bet you're done by now lol. i just got home

Not yet Mikey. The install is going ahead on Tuesday or Wednesday.

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Focus man. Focus. - 05-27-2010

Install Day 1: Those dam recessed nuts on top of the front strut plates. What a pain. I have both front struts up at East Court Ford to have the upper spring plates swapped over to the new dampers. The compressor I purchased is very under powered. I had better luck just using hand tools.

The heat today was killer. The stands I borrowed from Hardk0re sank right into the driveway. I needed to reposition them a couple times to keep the car off the ground. I decided to start with the front due to the fact it was easier than the rear. Lets just say I am not looking forward to the rest of the job. Undecided I know that the rear should be pretty straight forward, 8 bolts and then brake lines and cables. But it is hard to get things done with a wife with a bad sciatic nerve and a 16 month old whose middle name is TROUBLE. I just hate getting knee deep ito something and getting called away. Dodgy But such is life.

Hopefully once I get the front back together the rear isn't too much trouble. More updates to come as they are available.

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Oscar The Grouch - 05-27-2010

The front is the bitch. The rear is super easy.

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Focus man. Focus. - 05-27-2010

That is good to hear. The front came apart very easily, it was just that nut on the top of the strut which was a pain. Hopefully things will go better tomorrow. Has anybody removed the entire rear subframe or am I going to be the first on here.

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Oscar The Grouch - 05-27-2010

Isn't that what Ken did or did he just replace the control arms?