FocusCanada Forums
Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: From the Street (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices (/showthread.php?tid=1789)

Pages: 1 2

Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - Focus man. Focus. - 03-27-2009

Scorcher000,Mar 26 2009, 08:27 PM Wrote:Body colour and do the fogs too.
[right][snapback]283539[/snapback][/right]

One of these kids don't belong together. One of these kids just isn't the same.

Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - ZTWsquared - 03-27-2009

Focus man, Focus.,Mar 26 2009, 10:20 PM Wrote:
Scorcher000,Mar 26 2009, 08:27 PM Wrote:Body colour and do the fogs too.
[right][snapback]283539[/snapback][/right]

One of these kids don't belong together. One of these kids just isn't the same.
[right][snapback]283545[/snapback][/right]

John, god luv him, has a very special relationship with the English language.

Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - Canadian ST - 03-27-2009

I vote night shade, if it turns out bad you can always paint it to your body colour after.

Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - NOS2Go4Me - 03-27-2009

I'd take the side markers a TAD darker than what's there. Not the blacked-out setup I had on the sedan, but a little more "smoked" for sure.

And yes, +1 for the fog surrounds going dark. That colour suits a smoked-style accent setup VERY nicely.

Good luck Ken! That's definitely going to be a nicely-pimped Fusion when you're done with it.

Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - ZX3_2NV - 03-27-2009

Black it out black it all out, Upper and Lower grill, fog surrounds and smoke the tails and sidemarkers

Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - meford4u - 03-28-2009

Am I getting so old I thought I remembered posting not to do anything as they will chip?

WTF happened to my post?

Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - ZTWsquared - 03-28-2009

meford4u,Mar 27 2009, 10:25 AM Wrote:Am I getting so old I thought I remembered posting not to do anything as they will chip?

WTF happened to my post?
[right][snapback]283607[/snapback][/right]
I saw it ... it's in there somewhere and I got the message ... but that's an embarrasing amount of faux-chrome and I want it gone - I'd rather live with some chipping. Thanks for the expert input - even if you did sound like a geezer. :D

Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - ANTHONYD - 03-28-2009

meford4u,Mar 27 2009, 11:25 AM Wrote:Am I getting so old I thought I remembered posting not to do anything as they will chip?

WTF happened to my post?

different thread old guy. ;)

Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - meford4u - 03-29-2009

ZTWsquared,Mar 27 2009, 11:02 AM Wrote:
meford4u,Mar 27 2009, 10:25 AM Wrote:Am I getting so old I thought I remembered posting not to do anything as they will chip?

WTF happened to my post?
I saw it ... it's in there somewhere and I got the message ... but that's an embarrasing amount of faux-chrome and I want it gone - I'd rather live with some chipping. Thanks for the expert input - even if you did sound like a geezer. :D
[right][snapback]283612[/snapback][/right]
After a little thought, there is something else you could do.

The chrome grill typically is a black plastic piece with a chrome overlay. You could take some arm muscle and sandpaper and sand the chrome off it and then have it sprayed with just a clear. That way the chipping would be almost indistiguishable.

Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - ZTWsquared - 03-29-2009

meford4u,Mar 28 2009, 10:16 AM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Mar 27 2009, 11:02 AM Wrote:

WTF happened to my post?
[right][snapback]283612[/snapback][/right]
After a little thought, there is something else you could do.

The chrome grill typically is a black plastic piece with a chrome overlay. You could take some arm muscle and sandpaper and sand the chrome off it and then have it sprayed with just a clear. That way the chipping would be almost indistiguishable.
[right][snapback]283687[/snapback][/right]
Now that's thinking outside the box - def something to check out - sounds pretty cost effective too.

Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - NefCanuck - 03-29-2009

meford4u,Mar 28 2009, 10:16 AM Wrote:After a little thought, there is something else you could do.

The chrome grill typically is a black plastic piece with a chrome overlay.  You could take some arm muscle and sandpaper and sand the chrome off it and then have it sprayed with just a clear.  That way the chipping would be almost indistiguishable.

How much "arm muscle" are we talking here? 'cause that sounds damn intriguing as a different option (IE: could a power sander do the job or would that just melt the plastic under the chrome that's being sanded off?)

NefCanuck

Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - NikiterZTS - 03-29-2009

ok i looked at the pics and i agree night shade is bit better

Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - Focus man. Focus. - 03-29-2009

NefCanuck,Mar 28 2009, 04:07 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Mar 28 2009, 10:16 AM Wrote:After a little thought, there is something else you could do.

The chrome grill typically is a black plastic piece with a chrome overlay.  You could take some arm muscle and sandpaper and sand the chrome off it and then have it sprayed with just a clear.  That way the chipping would be almost indistiguishable.

How much "arm muscle" are we talking here? 'cause that sounds damn intriguing as a different option (IE: could a power sander do the job or would that just melt the plastic under the chrome that's being sanded off?)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]283713[/snapback][/right]

Wouldn't sanding leave a lot of scoring on the plastic. By taking the chrome off in steps of ever finer sand paper would take hours of manual labour. Also using a power sander would run the risk of heating the plastic to a point that could possibly cause dammage.

I still vote for the black chrome.

Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - reldridge - 03-29-2009

If you want to remove the chrome, there are some chemical ways you can do it. Search online, there are suggestions to use everything from Pine-Sol, to bleach, to Muriatic Acid. You can get it down to the bare plastic, and paint it whatever you want then.

Ryan

Tztw Squared Fusion Grille Choices - meford4u - 03-30-2009

NefCanuck,Mar 28 2009, 04:07 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]283713[/snapback][/right]

You don't want to use any power sanders as that would run the risk of burning the plastic.
You could use a car buffer and compound, but I've never tried that.
It would take alot of effort to do this, but it would not leave sand marks if you start with a heavier grit and work your way down to a wet sandpaper upwards of 1200 grit. I wouldn't start with anything less than a 400 grit sandpaper.
There are chemicals out there that can remove the chrome, so this would/could be a good possibility.

But don't blame me if anything goes wrong.

I just suggest it. :D