FocusCanada Forums
Complete Suspension/Brake Overhaul Part 2 Starts this weekend. - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focus on Performance (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Complete Suspension/Brake Overhaul Part 2 Starts this weekend. (/showthread.php?tid=17895)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Focus man. Focus. - 05-27-2010

I think he just did wheel end swap on the wagon.

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Focus man. Focus. - 05-28-2010

Well here is where I am it as of this morning. Called Ford and the struts will be ready before noon. Then it is time to re-install them. Not sure if I am going to get to the rear in this heat. I will have to check with the wife.

[Image: DSCF3459.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3464.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3463.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3460.jpg]

And now the damage caused to the driveway due to the heat.

[Image: DSCF3461.jpg]

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - ANTHONYD - 05-28-2010

A+ for balls man.

way to go!

can't wait to see the stance with those wheels.

I just finished up the front end. Putting it all back together is much easier than taking it all apart. It only cost me pennies for the tech at East Gate to re and re the the parts on the new struts. Cash is always good. Now from the way it is sitting I can't really see much difference with the amount of drop. But I am sure it will settle in nicely. Now on to the rear.

Well I just went for a short drive and all I can say is "What a difference!". The car is starting to feel new again. It has really tightened up the handling, and I am only half done. I can only imagine what it is going to feel like when I get the rear SVTF suspension/disc brakes installed.

[Image: DSCF3466.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3465.jpg]

More pic's to follow when the rear is done. Looking at completeing the job early next week.

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Spinal - 05-28-2010

looks good so far kev, i really want rear svt brakes now lol.

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - SL8RZZX3 - 05-28-2010

did you do the struts and springs? or just struts?

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - tetra - 05-28-2010

Nice man, really diggin' those wheels too!

Gord, I installed the SVT Struts and Multi Matic springs that Ken had on his track car for about 2500kms. So far I have only finished up the front end. I have a complete SVT rear sub-frame to swap out now.

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - SL8RZZX3 - 05-28-2010

Cool i couldn't quite tell from your pics if you swapped out the pro-kit springs you had or not

What is different with the SVT subframe?

Man i wish i had time to work on my focus.... i have a small warehouse of parts that need to be installed lol

edit: a couple pieces of plywood under the jack stands will help save your drive way for next time

hot asphalt + jack stands + car = bad!!
i've seen it where the car has actually tipped forward enough to fall off the stands

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - ZTWsquared - 05-28-2010

(05-28-2010, 12:00 PM)Focus man. Focus. Wrote: Gord, I installed the SVT Struts and Multi Matic springs that Ken had on his track car for about 2500kms. So far I have only finished up the front end. I have a complete SVT rear sub-frame to swap out now.

What'd I tell ya ... are they stiff or what!

Well first thing it has about half the kilometers on it than my car has now. Also I think swapping out the whole sub frame would be easier than doing the wheel end swap for only the disc brakes. Plus I bought the whole sub frame for a lot less than half the cost of buying only the brakes. Time will tell if I have made the right choice.

As for time to work on my car, I really shouldn't have this time but getting laid off has really opened up my schedule. Another bonus is that I now have a great tan.

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Spinal - 05-28-2010

o snap sorry to hear you got laid off kev...thats gotta suck.

and gord the difference (or at least one of them) is that the lower control arms are reinforced on the svt subframe.

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - Focus man. Focus. - 06-02-2010

Started the rear this morning. Some of the sub frame bolts are really tight. My little compressor just isnt up to the task. Breaker bar and a steel fence post is doing the trick. Brake lines disconected, All bolts loose, Working on the e-brake cables now. Then she will be ready to drop out. Things are moving along nicely. Some time I am wishing I had an extra pair of hands.

If anybody is around feel free to drop by. PM me for the address.

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - OAC_Sparky - 06-02-2010

Re: Messed up driveway

You can rent the industrial-sized propane torch at a lot of tool rental places. You remelt the asphalt and tamp it down and roll it out.

Thanks for the idea Sparky. Never thought of that. I will have to give it a try. I can't make it any worse than it alreay is.

As for my progress, I finally got the rear end out. It took some hard work, but it is finally seperated from the car. now to start lining up the new sub frame for the install, after I swap out the e-brake cables.

[Image: DSCF3482.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3481.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3485.jpg]

RE: Complete Suspension Overhaul - NefCanuck - 06-02-2010

Props to you man, me I clean out the interior of the car for two hours today and my tongue is dragging on the ground, NVM a job like that

NefCanuck

Wow, e-brake cables on a Focus are a bitch. I spent the past hour trying to squeeze my hands between the exhaust to get to the little thingy that holds the rear cables to the front. What a pain in the ass.

Oh and another thing. Replacement cables don't fit back into the little plastic clips under the car. I broke 2 of them and gave up. Zip ties all the way baby.

Ok the sub frame is in. It still needs to be torqued to spec, but its almost done. This has been one long day. Thanks to my wife for holding down the fort while I spent the day in the sun busting my knuckles. Here are some of the latest pic's.

[Image: DSCF3490.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3495.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3487.jpg]

So I just finished up for the night. Still have to button everything up tomorrow. Complete the install of the new disc's, pads and bleed the bubbles out. Need to find my SD Card reader so I can upload the last pic's of the day. I seem to have misplaced it after my last upload.

Found it. Last 2 of the day.

[Image: DSCF3496.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3497.jpg]

The only thing that has come up that concerns me thus far is the 1 piece flex lines. They seem short to me. I haven't had the wheels on to check if there is going to be clearance issues yet. That is going to be the first task in the morning. Enjoy the pic's. More tomorrow.