FocusCanada Forums
2008 Ford Taurus - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: From the Street (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: 2008 Ford Taurus (/showthread.php?tid=6729)

Pages: 1 2

2008 Ford Taurus - OAC_Sparky - 02-08-2007

NOS2Go4Me,Feb 7 2007, 12:37 PM Wrote:I've driven all but the ST, and if you think a Taurus is really going to keep up with a Focus in the twisties... please, think again.
[right][snapback]226079[/snapback][/right]
Please, really. "Lose them in the twisties" is the rallying cry of the unmodded underpowered Focus since people started buying them.

1/4 mile times do not involve "twisties". HP ratings care less about "twisties". Unless you call HWY 11 "twisty", real "twisties" are in a mountainous area, "twisties" in these parts involve negotiating the drive through at Tim Hortons.

You love your Focus, hey, I like mine. At least mine's not jacked up like a 4x4. Does that mean I can put yours down now? Because comparatively, yours is identical to the one my mother-in-law drives. Seriously, she has a 2007 SES, and she's 62. Does that make you an old man now? ;)

2008 Ford Taurus - NOS2Go4Me - 02-08-2007

No, but there's more to the world than a straight line. If you honestly believe that your Taurus corners as well as a Focus then you're well beyond any help I can offer in an Internet thread.

The Focus made the Car and Driver 10 best list 5 or 6 years running... I believe it was 5.

Name one time that the Taurus made that list.

The Focus is a handling wunderkind. The Taurus is a fleet-special express.

Do I care about the ride height? Nope. I bought my last Focus off a retiree who turned in her SEDAN off a lease. I guess all retirees drive sedans then, right? ;)

I'm glad you're enjoying your ST... it's the last sporting Focus we'll see for a while unless Dearborn is hiding a serious whopper with much more ability than ever before. Yes, that was a double entendre :)

I'd slam my Focus but truth be told... I'd rather spend the cash on our vacations this year.

NOS2Go4Me,Feb 7 2007, 01:33 PM Wrote:I guess all retirees drive sedans then, right? ;)[right][snapback]226094[/snapback][/right]
No, of course not. My 62 year old mother-in-law drives a red hatch.

:ph34r:

The point I am making is that criticising the handling on a Taurus is like criticising the Focus because it can't fit a family of 5 people and their belongings comfortably on a long trip.

2008 Ford Taurus - Flofocus - 02-08-2007

NOS2Go4Me,Feb 7 2007, 02:33 PM Wrote:I'd slam my Focus but truth be told... I'd rather spend the cash on our vacations this year.
[right][snapback]226094[/snapback][/right]

Fawkin cheap vacation. :lol:

Flofocus,Feb 7 2007, 01:49 PM Wrote:Fawkin cheap vacation. :lol:
[right][snapback]226097[/snapback][/right]
:lol:

2008 Ford Taurus - ZTWsquared - 02-08-2007

NOS2Go4Me,Feb 7 2007, 02:33 PM Wrote:Name one time that the Taurus made that list.
[right][snapback]226094[/snapback][/right]
The first generation Taurus LX was Motor Trend magazine's Car of the Year for 1986. It was also on Car and Driver magazine's annual Ten Best list each year it was produced, from 1986 to 1991.

Not trying to be argumentative Adam, but Sparky's right ... trying to compare the driving dynamics of the two vehicles isn't the way to look at it when assessing the smarts behind the branding and marketing of a nameplate (nameplate being different than vehicle) ... and despite what you or I might think about the actual vehicle that the Taurus eventually became ... IMO the Taurus nameplate still has value within the automotive world and apparently Mullaly agrees as it was his personal decision to revive the name.

Edit: Taurus also made C&D's top ten in 1992, the first year of Gen2 ... for a total of 7 straight years on the list.

2008 Ford Taurus - Kool_ZX3 - 02-08-2007

Here is some info for you guys to look at

only 40% of US population knows that Ford Five Hundred exists (existed).
only about 25% knew about Freestyle and Montego ..

80% people recognize Taurus as a Ford midsize sedan.
about 60% recognize Sable ..

about 70% of people who drove a Freestyle bought it .. this rate is similar for Five Hundred and Montego.. most of them best in class levels.

put these together .. and you see that if Ford can get people to drive these cars, they will buy them, but very few people know they exist, .. the new name is to bring the cars to people's mind .. that they exist and that they are and option ..

it makes sense when you look at that data.

If ford can market these cars and not do what they did with the 500,montego and freestyle.... These cars might take off compared to the cars they are replacing.

Millions of people owned taurus, and were pretty pissed when they let it die.... If people can go into a showroom and actually see a new Taurus, they might actually go home with one.

The d3's cars are VERY reliable..... They might be a little bland but they are great cars.

OAC_Sparky,Feb 7 2007, 02:07 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Feb 7 2007, 01:49 PM Wrote:Fawkin cheap vacation. :lol:
[right][snapback]226097[/snapback][/right]
:lol:
[right][snapback]226102[/snapback][/right]

Who says that's all I'm spending? ;)

Between Florida and potentially BC... it'll be a nice set of getaways this year.

I hadn't tracked THAT far back in C+D, so I guess I've learned something today.

Still, the Focus handles. That's what the argument / discussion / spitball fight eventually came down to. That's my point, as I willingly gave Sparky his. :)

2008 Ford Taurus - Focus Is Art - 02-08-2007

I have no problem Ford recycle the Taurus name, it will save them many millions dollar to promo the 500 name.

And I believe Ford is give Taurus a face lift in 08 which it is not bad looking.

2008 Ford Taurus - meford4u - 02-08-2007

Everyone forget that Ford made a Taurus that could outhandle and overpowerany Focus anyday?
Or atleast Adam Forgot this.
They did make an amazing SVT version of the Taurus.
If you have ever driven one, you would know.
Now you have learned more.

2008 Ford Taurus - CanadaSVT - 02-08-2007

meford4u,Feb 7 2007, 07:43 PM Wrote:Everyone forget that Ford made a Taurus that could outhandle and overpowerany Focus anyday?
Or atleast Adam Forgot this.
They did make an amazing SVT version of the Taurus.
If you have ever driven one, you would know.
Now you have learned more.
[right][snapback]226141[/snapback][/right]
Contour SVT or Taurus SHO? Yes, I am confused.

As for the Taurus name, anything that doesn't start with an F sounds great to me. My 84 year old father drives a 2000 Taurus. He looked at the Fusion and didn't like it. When I mentioned the 500 having more leg and trunk space than my Marauder, he had never heard of the 500 since the mid-seventies. Maybe now I can get him out of that >20,000km Taurus and into a new one.

BTW my 76 year old mother thinks the Focus and the Taurus are bland. That's why she plans on driving her since new '93 Mustang LX into the ground. Even she knows FWD sucks in the twisties! :lol:

2008 Ford Taurus - meford4u - 02-08-2007

Ah, yes master, confusion has set in.

I was speaking of the Taurus SHO.

^^ I already spoke about the SHO... I said it was sad their best engine for it (the V8) was in their slowest example.

They're still egg-shaped, bland, ugly bastards (late 90s and up). The original Tauri had no shape at all. I'm not sure what's worse.

2008 Ford Taurus - NikiterZTS - 02-08-2007

^^id love to find one and test drive it just to see what its like

my family only owns 1999 wagon Taurus SE...it has 207XXX right now on it and its been a reliable car since when we bougt it in 2001 (it had 130 on it at the time)

2008 Ford Taurus - Frost__2001 - 02-08-2007

You know if you think about it now I wonder if Ford will bring out a Taurus Wagon in the 500 stylings, and a Taurus X in a sedan design.

Oh and after watching CBS News tonight with Katie, they just did a storie on the new Taurus, and Taurus X, and it's not just Ford looking back in the past for brand loyalty & fimiliarity with a Name plate or person, Maytag will be soon airing commercials with their old sad lonely repair guy again after a 10 year absence, not to mention a few other companys.

I'm suprised that no one will openly admit that they would buy a car on the nameplate alone because they are fimiliar with it, and that's what Ford is banking on, that people who love the name will love the 500/freestyle more with the safe & comfortable Taurus name, and hopefully it will pay off for Ford in the long term and save the company again.

2008 Ford Taurus - paolo - 02-11-2007

who knew this was a repost???

2008 Ford Taurus - OAC_Sparky - 02-11-2007

paolo,Feb 10 2007, 09:30 AM Wrote:who knew this was a repost???
[right][snapback]226384[/snapback][/right]
Actually, if you look at the date on this thread, the thread you started yesterday was the repost. We were just being polite to not jump all over your thread. ;)

2008 Ford Taurus - Frost__2001 - 02-11-2007

paolo,Feb 10 2007, 10:30 AM Wrote:who knew this was a repost???
[right][snapback]226384[/snapback][/right]

actually I started this thread the day the news was out on feb 6th, after I saw it on the news at 6.

2008 Ford Taurus - paolo - 02-11-2007

OAC_Sparky,Feb 10 2007, 01:17 PM Wrote:Actually, if you look at the date on this thread, the thread you started yesterday was the repost. We were just being polite to not jump all over your thread. ;)
[right][snapback]226402[/snapback][/right]
I meant this thread is the orig and mine was a repost Sparky!!
Frost__2001,Feb 10 2007, 01:19 PM Wrote:[right][snapback]226384[/snapback][/right]
actually I started this thread the day the news was out on feb 6th, after I saw it on the news at 6.
[right][snapback]226403[/snapback][/right]
No sh1t! Sherlock