FocusCanada Forums
Better Go Fill Up Asap - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Better Go Fill Up Asap (/showthread.php?tid=12854)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Better Go Fill Up Asap - 2001 ZTS - 09-24-2005

To commute in North Bay or any place like that is fine. It's different there.

You know, I'd go even as far to say that there is no cost difference living downtown compared to the burbs. Just think about cars; yes I pay a bit more for car insurance but it is less than you may think, save in gas, save wear and tear, save commuting cost like parking & GO train, save resale because the cars are low milage, don't have to buy new cars as often and so many other ways.

Then there is time.

I got up today at 7 to be at work for 8:30, had a breakfast, s**t, shower, shave two coffees left after 8 and arrived with 15 minutes to spare. I'll leave at 430 be home before 5 and won't be so exausted, stressed and short of time that I have to order in or buy take away food or need a nap. I'll cook a nice meal watch the Simpson's at 5, news at 6 and the weekend is mine. The rest of the shleps will be on the road for hours yet.

Maybe I am "rich" after all? (non-monetary sense if you didn't pick up on it). ;)

scoobasteve,Sep 23 2005, 09:45 AM Wrote:taking transit to work is impossible for me. it would involve me taking 2 busses to the subway station, then a subway to union, then another subway to sheppard. after that i'd have to take another bus or two  to get to the building where i work...

or i could take a bus, to the gotrain, then the go train  downtown, then the subway and a bus to north york... both ways take over 2 hours +.... and i really dont have the choice to move closer to work either because i live at home...

In the end gas prices are damned me royally.
[right][snapback]144205[/snapback][/right]

Just curious, do you give your parents any "rent" at all? What does your car cost per month including EVERYTHING (payments/lease, fuel, maintenance, insurance, depretiation ..........) and any other costs associated with living where you do.

As an experiment I'd love to compare costs of what you do now with getting rid of the car and buying or renting a batchelor in one of those new apartments along Sheppard subway. I'll even build in a rental car for one weekend a month and a Metropass.

Better Go Fill Up Asap - NOS2Go4Me - 09-24-2005

That's it, I'm starting a poll on travel distances to work.

Better Go Fill Up Asap - scoobasteve - 09-24-2005

hmm, it would be an intresting comparison.

right now at home i just pay 1 bill a month.... so like 100~200 a month

Car -
400.00 a month financing
Insurance
Gas
7 tanks @ 45.00 = 315.00

The car is costing me a fortune, i'd almost be better off moving out. but at this point there's nothing i can do, because when we move i'll be going back to school, so theres no selling off the car and moving downtown yet.

Maintence Varies, Aside from my alternator going, its just been warranty work and oil changes..

so say 40.00 per month.

Better Go Fill Up Asap - Frost__2001 - 09-24-2005

I can agree with some of you and Transit use, But reality is for me to use Brampton Transit, It would be such a difficut thing to do mainly because it's so unrelyable. It take over an hour to get across town one way, and it's never on time unless your on the 1a / b Queen Street run, and it takes like 5 minutes to drive across town.

And where I work there is no transit there. Mississauga, and Milton said they will offere Transit there when the housing boom get's there, and industry plans go ahead in 2007. So even then there would not be a bus line there untill after it's all built up so, more then likely 2008 I'd see a bus in that area for either city. And it takes me 20 minutes to get there by car so think how long it would take by bus......

Reality, I know when the last gas spiked to the low $1.30's I was hearing not only from the part time students at my work but from single moms, questioning how they are going to make it to work if gas prices stayed or went over the $1.40L mark. I can say one good thing is about my work they raised all employees up to the minuim wage level for 2007 to $8.00/h for all new employees, and adjusted everyone else accordingly, but they didn't see any difference in their pay checks because what they got in the increase went to gas to get to work.

scoobasteve,Sep 23 2005, 10:11 AM Wrote:hmm, it would be an intresting comparison.

right now at home i just pay 1 bill a month.... so like 100~200 a month

Car -
400.00 a month financing
Insurance
Gas
7 tanks @ 45.00 =  315.00

The car is costing me a fortune, i'd almost be better off moving out. but at this point there's nothing i can do, because when we move i'll be going back to school, so theres no selling off the car and moving downtown yet.

Maintence Varies, Aside from my alternator going, its just been warranty work and oil changes..

so say 40.00 per month.
[right][snapback]144213[/snapback][/right]

Wow, thats alot. I don't even need to do any math. If you were willing to do so your car could be a 10% downpayment on a small condo on the TTC and it would carry for less than you pay per month to keep your car on the road. Plus your condo goes up in value 5% per year rather than down.

Yup, when the time comes (finished school) i'll definatley be moving close to work.

Better Go Fill Up Asap - darkpuppet - 09-24-2005

What did I do when I lived in Thunder Bay and couldn't afford gas or a car?

hmmmm...

I lived an hour walk away from work (now I live up to an hour drive away)... I walked, I biked, I had my parents and/or friends give me a lift when it was convenient. Yup, my dad would get up at 5 am in the mornings to drop me off at work, and pick me up at 12am in an ice storm when I was done... it was called 'family' and 'parenting'.

I learned to take the bus that came around once only every 80 minutes.

I carpooled with friends.

I mean, everyone says the only solution is to lower gas prices, but that's the wrong mentality. Everyone wants everything handed to them, and sometimes that just doesn't happen.

Hell, it's never happened to me, and i work freakin' hard for every luxury I have. If i had to work an hour from home and couldn't afford gas, I'd move closer to work. sorry if that means I can't afford my luxury house in the burbs...

the problem is that society got used to cheap gas.... moved out to the burbs where you can't do ANYTHING without driving... and it's retarded. I don't feel sorry for the people who are complaining rather than taking matters into their own hands. Anyone can move closer to work, suffer through public transit, beg/borrow/steal rides.

But everyone wants to be by themselves, in their one-person carriage-o-lux.

If people are so hard pressed by the price of gas, it is surely time for them to assess their lifestyle and adjust accordingly. Society was able to adapt in the past, I'm sure we could adapt now instead of complaining all the time.

Everybody wants something for nothing... hell, i want something for nothing too... but I'll settle with busting my hump for it instead.

Better Go Fill Up Asap - crazikev - 09-24-2005

darkpuppet,Sep 23 2005, 11:18 AM Wrote:What did I do when I lived in Thunder Bay and couldn't afford gas or a car?

hmmmm...

I lived an hour walk away from work (now I live up to an hour drive away)... I walked, I biked, I had my parents and/or friends give me a lift when it was convenient.  Yup, my dad would get up at 5 am in the mornings to drop me off at work, and pick me up at 12am in an ice storm when I was done...  it was called 'family' and 'parenting'.

I learned to take the bus that came around once only every 80 minutes.

I carpooled with friends.

I mean, everyone says the only solution is to lower gas prices, but that's the wrong mentality.  Everyone wants everything handed to them, and sometimes that just doesn't happen.

Hell, it's never happened to me, and i work freakin' hard for every luxury I have.  If i had to work an hour from home and couldn't afford gas, I'd move closer to work.  sorry if that means I can't afford my luxury house in the burbs...

the problem is that society got used to cheap gas.... moved out to the burbs where you can't do ANYTHING without driving... and it's retarded.  I don't feel sorry for the people who are complaining rather than taking matters into their own hands.  Anyone can move closer to work, suffer through public transit, beg/borrow/steal rides. 

But everyone wants to be by themselves, in their one-person carriage-o-lux. 

If people are so hard pressed by the price of gas, it is surely time for them to assess their lifestyle and adjust accordingly.  Society was able to adapt in the past, I'm sure we could adapt now instead of complaining all the time.

Everybody wants something for nothing... hell, i want something for nothing too... but I'll settle with busting my hump for it instead.
[right][snapback]144243[/snapback][/right]
thats all fine and dandy, if the gas prices increased over time, so people would have time to adjust to them, but over 1 day its gonna cost people twice as much for gas.

Oscar The Grouch,Sep 23 2005, 09:02 AM Wrote:Remember, if fuel goes up, southern Ontario would be f ucked.  Sure they have the manufacturing sector, but the raw materials come from up north, including the minerals, the lumber, hydroelectric power, etc... 

Stupid rich people, think they have all the answers.
[right][snapback]144195[/snapback][/right]
my hydro electric power comes from the north?
last time i checked it came from across town :lol:

they are actually building a new $938000000 tunnel to divert more water from the upper Niagara River, which will increase the Beck power plants output by 14%

Better Go Fill Up Asap - P-51 - 09-24-2005

Andrew, how in the hell can you say that you can afford a Condo on the TTC for less than $900/month?

What is the price on that condo?

I have/had a $160k mortgage, and that costs $1100 per month. Plus $300 for property taxes. $200/energy. $150/communication services.

That still doesn't include maintenance on the place.

I realize that most of these costs would be lower for a condo vs. a single. But the prices in TO are absolutely outrageous, and everybody rushing to get closer to work would just make it worse.

You also can't ignore the reality of this generation: We are pretty much destined to change jobs at least every 5 years. Whether you get laid off, company goes out of business, or you don't want to live with only 3% raises every year... that is the reality.

The costs involved in moving every 5 years would be astronomical. What, 6% for real estate fees just to start. Moving fees, etc. etc....

That isn't even to mention the fact if you try and have two people with careers, it's even harder, finding work that is close enough together to have a home close to both offices.

Maybe if you are a burger flipper, but I think most of us here are in highly specialized careers, and the odds of finding a new job close to where you worked before are next to nothing. Heck, I am and automotive engineer, working in THE MOTOR CITY, and my new job was 100km from my old one.

All this is not to suggest our society can keep going the way it is. Clearly it's unsustainable. But it's not as easy as your untopian view of "sell your car and move next door to work, walk to work in your slippers and housecoat in the morning."

We are complaining about gas prices not because we don't want to change our way of life, but because the price of fuel is manipulated by an oligarchy, who make obscene profits while they DESTROY our way of life.

I have long been a proponent of obscene gas taxes, with reciprocal reduction in sales or income taxes. Tax it up to $5/L, and cut sales tax to zero. Force people to get out of their SUV's and into compacts. And force people out of their compacts and into micro cars that get 80-100 MPG.

lets face it, public transit sucks, it only goes to select places on select times(i don't know what its like in Toronto but its bad in Niagara Falls).

This summer i was going to a BlueJays game, we drove halfway there, then stoped at the Gostation in Burlington or wheere ever it is, the ticket cost $7 to union station, and $7 back, thats $14 X 2 people is $28.
It probably would have cost maybe $5-8 dollars in gas for me, then parking maybe $20? So i could have done the same trip in my car for less money, and a car would have been a lot faster than the GoTrain(was getting dizzy on that train, which was 10 minutes late, stops at everystop on the way, had to wait for a bus etc.

crazikev,Sep 23 2005, 11:49 AM Wrote:
Oscar The Grouch,Sep 23 2005, 09:02 AM Wrote:Remember, if fuel goes up, southern Ontario would be f ucked.  Sure they have the manufacturing sector, but the raw materials come from up north, including the minerals, the lumber, hydroelectric power, etc... 

they are actually building a new $938000000 tunnel to divert more water from the upper Niagara River, which will increase the Beck power plants output by 14%
[right][snapback]144257[/snapback][/right]

Myth buster here, hydro electric plants inthe "North" make only 1930 MW of the 24,278 MW total Onatrio production capacity from all sources. Thats about 8%.

http://www.opg.com/ops/map.asp

Better be carefull or we will stop growing food for you guys. :lol:

P-51,Sep 23 2005, 12: Wrote:Andrew, how in the hell can you say that you can afford a Condo on the TTC for less than $900/month?[right][snapback]144258[/snapback][/right]

Glad you asked. ;)

In the MLS listings see 102 places for sale for between $75,000 and $150,000 (in "Central 1" area). Remember Scooba is just a young guy so he doesn't need anything fancy, just a "pad".

Here is an apartment for $109,000 at Yonge & Bloor:

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=...pertyID=3990889

Assuming he sold the SVT and used $11,000 of that to put 10% down he would need a mortage of $99,000. That amount at 6%, 5 year term, 25% amoratization he would need $627 per month for the mortgage. Taxes wouldn't be much as my house on a 3000 sf lot is only $2000/yr. He would also have condo fees of $300 but that takes care of all utilities. He has a place as close as you can get to downtown for $1000/month which is what I added up his car cost to be.

A real smart way to go would be to buy a more expensive two bedroom and find a roomate who you charge $1000 per month. Then things really start to make sense. He could keep the car in that case. :lol:

Better Go Fill Up Asap - Oscar The Grouch - 09-24-2005

2001 ZTS,Sep 23 2005, 01:17 PM Wrote:
crazikev,Sep 23 2005, 11:49 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]144257[/snapback][/right]

Myth buster here, hydro electric plants inthe "North" make only 1930 MW of the 24,278 MW total Onatrio production capacity from all sources. Thats about 8%.

http://www.opg.com/ops/map.asp

Better be carefull or we will stop growing food for you guys. :lol:
[right][snapback]144262[/snapback][/right]

I stand corrected. Anywho. I could lose a few pounds anyways.

hahaha, I can rock the penthouse somewhere in east york for the same price

Penthouse y0

lol

LOL... the condo fees are crazy. Otherwise, it's not bad.

And... what the heck is up with the living room? It sounds more like a mini bowling alley! :lol:

scoobasteve,Sep 23 2005, 12:53 PM Wrote:hahaha, I can rock the penthouse somewhere in east york for the same price
[right][snapback]144272[/snapback][/right]
East York is undervalued but won't be for long.

For those of you who:

A ) think I'm nuts
B ) couldn't live in an apartment
C ) have a "low 200's" budget which seems typical for a starting family

Whats wrong with something like:

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=...pertyID=3977357

I think this looks nice and it's a good area.

2001 ZTS,Sep 23 2005, 01:02 PM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Sep 23 2005, 12:53 PM Wrote:hahaha, I can rock the penthouse somewhere in east york for the same price
[right][snapback]144272[/snapback][/right]
East York is undervalued but won't be for long.

For those of you who:

A ) think I'm nuts
B ) couldn't live in an apartment
C ) have a "low 200's" budget which seems typical for a starting family

Whats wrong with something like:

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=...pertyID=3977357

I think this looks nice and it's a good area.
[right][snapback]144276[/snapback][/right]
219,000 for no yard? and an unfinished basement? it doesn't even look that big and your neighbors house is 5 feet away, ew. Thats insane, id pay 150 000 for that house tops, i dont care if its in Toronto, i need some grass to cut with my Deere :lol:

P51, your mortgage is messed.... with accelerated bi-weekly payments I'm under 700/mo total (mortgage alone) for a 125K house.

Not sure why you're paying 1100/mo alone for a 160K mortgage.

And yeah, I echo crazikev... 219K for no yard... blech. I'd rather pay half and have the condo.