FocusCanada Forums
1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: 1st Pics Of The House Being Built... (/showthread.php?tid=10293)

Pages: 1 2 3

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - Flofocus - 04-03-2006

Front...Looks like it will be ready by June heh!! Cant wait!

[Image: DSCF2499.jpg]

The back...with the walk out basement :D

[Image: DSCF2494.jpg]

One of the few upgrades I got....window in the garage.

[Image: DSCF2492.jpg]

And of course...with the car :)

[Image: DSCF2498.jpg]

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - focusonthis88 - 04-03-2006

Nice!!! Can't wait for the BBQ!!!!

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - habmann - 04-03-2006

Looking good so far.

Congrats!

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - Kool_ZX3 - 04-03-2006

Yah better get mike holmes in there to check it out :lol:

Looking good though ;)

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - 2001 ZTS - 04-03-2006

You want to know how much that same house would sell for on my street?

Probably north of 3/4 million. :blink:

They pay $400G+ for and knock down, single story two room bungalows (like mine) here almost weekly. Two out of the 12 on my side of the road are under construction right now, a half a dozen have been already "modded" similarly. The "cul de sac" I am in has a few houses well over a million.

Real estate is insane but I am fascinated by it. CONGRATS! It is not hard to tell you are excited BTW but you have great reason to be.

I don't necessarily need or want a house like mine, I'm more a sexy condo kind of dude given my new reality, but will tough it out and am "banking" on it for my kid's "legacy".

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - meford4u - 04-03-2006

looks good nate.

2001 ZTS,Apr 2 2006, 09:17 PM Wrote:CONGRATS! It is not hard to tell you are excited BTW but you have great reason to be.
[right][snapback]178674[/snapback][/right]

Im loosing sleep Im so excited....getting to see being built from the ground up isn't helping at all :lol: ...REALLY looking forward to getting in.

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - meford4u - 04-03-2006

Flofocus,Apr 2 2006, 08:39 PM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Apr 2 2006, 09:17 PM Wrote:CONGRATS! It is not hard to tell you are excited BTW but you have great reason to be.

Im loosing sleep Im so excited....getting to see being built from the ground up isn't helping at all :lol: ...REALLY looking forward to getting in.
[right][snapback]178681[/snapback][/right]

just like dating a new girlfriend :lol:

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - NOS2Go4Me - 04-03-2006

Nice house dood. Just make sure you get a crazy deck in the back for all the FC.net BBQ freeloaders :)

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - nass - 04-03-2006

meford4u,Apr 3 2006, 01:48 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Apr 2 2006, 08:39 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]178681[/snapback][/right]

just like dating a new girlfriend :lol:
[right][snapback]178683[/snapback][/right]

line of the week. A++

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - Euro Ford Fan - 04-03-2006

Looks great!! Just remember that everything will seem to slow down now, doing the interior work seems to take weeks where very little happens.

Another suggestion find the biggest guy you know to walk around the rooms to see if the floors squeak at all. Once the drywall is up you can't fix it.

Looks great though how big a deck do you get??
:)

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - 2001 ZTS - 04-03-2006

Euro Ford Fan,Apr 3 2006, 07:35 AM Wrote:Another suggestion find the biggest guy you know to walk around the rooms to see if the floors squeak at all.  [right][snapback]178720[/snapback][/right]

Vote #1 for meford

:lol:

Euro Ford Fan,Apr 3 2006, 08:35 AM Wrote:Looks great though how big a deck do you get??
[right][snapback]178720[/snapback][/right]

They just put up a rail across the middle of the patio door and thats it, so its up to me on how big I want it. I may just go with a 12X12 then have stairs that go down to the much bigger patio deck off the walk out :D

So many descicions!! Love it!

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - Tiketz - 04-04-2006

Nice house!!

Do you need a Plumber? LOL

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - FociPhil - 04-04-2006

House looks faster then the car...

jokes!

Congrats Nate, like i always say, i cant wait until i get a house. A new one from the ground up would be awesome.

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - P-51 - 04-04-2006

Looks decent so far. 2x6 exterior walls? And aspenite sheathing. At least it's a wood product.

I'll likely be going through this this summer too. Some places I looked at used gyprock as the EXTERIOR SHEATHING!!! I can't believe it. Some places in Windsor have no sheathing at all. 2x4 studs with 2" pink foam on top. They just use diagonal metal straps for torsional strength on the walls. Fricken rediculous if you ask me. :ph34r:

My current house in Windsor is built like a tank. Real plywood on the floors, roof and walls. Attic is framed with old fashioned rafters instead of pre-engineered trusses. Floors are real wood beams. 100% brick.

I'm gonna miss it. In an earthquake or tornado, it'll be one of the last ones standing.

Oh, and go ahead and get a tire plug kit at Canadian Tire. You're gonna need it weekly. ;)

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - meford4u - 04-04-2006

Finally something you and I can agree on.

2X6 studding exterior is now the norm in Ontario for a good homebuilder. I am not sure that it is code, but it should be the standard.

The gyprock/drywall as exterior sheeting. It is rediculous. I don't understand it and I worked in that industry for a couple of years. Bad idea in a new house. Don't they think it will get wet before the house gets sheathed?

The aspenite board is defnately a step up Nate, but the best is plywood. 5/8" minimum.

And the townhouse I am in now, is all brick. That's why i chose it. I hate the houses with the back half just aluminum sided. But that's personal taste.

Now I might have a few fights with my builder, but I hope not. Or else I will be pulling an OAC Sparky and putting items that I want into the home during construction. Hell, I should just build my own home.

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - FocusGuy7476 - 04-04-2006

congrats on the house.

there are still builders using 2x4 in Ontario :o . when i was in yorkton, the house had 2x8 exterior walls and that was built in the 80s.

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - laidman - 04-04-2006

The house looks sweet, can;t wait to see the finished product. ARe you gonna be able to park the foci in the driveway with the drop...

1st Pics Of The House Being Built... - Euro Ford Fan - 04-05-2006

2x6 for exterior walls should be made the minimum; it's very hard to properly insulate exterior walls using any less. There are so many little things that builders do to cut corners from insulation thickness to proper vapor barrier and taping, it's little details that mean a lot in the long run but are very easy to skip.

I was happy to see that our semi has steel trusses on the first n 2nd floor. I expected at a minimum a tipple laminated 2x8 but was thrilled to see I beams. It’s probably why we have only one small crack from settling.

Make sure that if your builder doesn't do it you tape up every joint in the heating system get in there before they drywall it may cost you $50 in tape and a days work but it will save you at least that in the first year if a sloppy crew does the install. I would also wrap any 8" lines in your basement. If they use copper pipe for your hot and cold water lines get in there and insulate them as well, it will help keep your hot water hot in the pipe and stop your cold water pipes from condensating.

If you’re having any ceramic tile floors put down, look to see how they installed the sub floor if they nailed it down then go back over and get some 3" screws and screw it down. Nails will pull out over time causing your grout or a tile to crack. Hell when I build a house no floor will ever be nailed down, its screws or nothing.

One last thing if you’re having central vac make sure they put the piping in the wall not just the fitting on the drywall. If that's all they say they will do then before they drywall get in there and put the pipe in yourself, it's only 2" PVC, it will save you $$$ when you want to get that central vac working.