FocusCanada Forums
White Powder On Pos. Post - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Focus Talk (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: White Powder On Pos. Post (/showthread.php?tid=10736)

White Powder On Pos. Post - magicstar56 - 02-24-2006

Can Anybody tell me why i always find white powder on my battery positive post. i just changed the alternator and battery. the only thing wrong that i noticed, is that sometimes my gage needles go back and forth. Thank you

White Powder On Pos. Post - microbunny - 02-24-2006

did you use that grease on the terminal?!

I forget the name...mine is purple..

White Powder On Pos. Post - 2001 ZTS - 02-24-2006

Time to break out the Vaseline.

White Powder On Pos. Post - Frost__2001 - 02-24-2006

sounds like oxidation on the terminal, it happens when these parts (battery & battery cables) age, over time it will build up, it's not uncommon and happens to almost every car out there. Best thing to do is use a wire brush to clean the area and then use electric grease on it before you put it back on.

White Powder On Pos. Post - schade - 02-24-2006

use bakeing soda and water mixed together to clean the top and posts of the battery to get ride of the buildup that your talking about.

coating the terminals with white lithium grease works well to, to help prevent the corrosion buildup

White Powder On Pos. Post - Fingers - 02-24-2006

It's coke.

Snort it.

K seriously, it's likely battery acid that's crusted up, or as others have mentioned, oxidation. Buy some $5 terminal cleaners at canadian tire, and have at 'er.

White Powder On Pos. Post - FocusGuy7476 - 02-24-2006

why are you guy coating the battery terminal with grease, your just adding more resistance into the system.

White Powder On Pos. Post - Phantom - 02-24-2006

FocusGuy7476,Feb 23 2006, 11:28 PM Wrote:why are you guy coating the battery terminal with grease, your just adding more resistance into the system.
[right][snapback]172037[/snapback][/right]
Actually dielectric grease would not cause any problems. Used with Massive overclocking on computers. People who goto Sub-temps or phaze change systems use the dielectic grease in the socket where the cpu plugins to prevent mositure. Very Good at it's job.

White Powder On Pos. Post - ANTHONYD - 02-24-2006

Lithium grease.

White Powder On Pos. Post - paolo - 02-24-2006

i second using di-electric grease. it wont cause resistance problems because it acts like the coating on your wires, theres still conductivity underneath, but prevents water from touching exposed areas preventing corrosion build-up.

White Powder On Pos. Post - NOS2Go4Me - 02-25-2006

You have the Johnny Depp-package Focus. Nothing to see here... *snort* move along...

White Powder On Pos. Post - NefCanuck - 02-25-2006

ANTHONYD,Feb 24 2006, 08:42 AM Wrote:Lithium grease.
[right][snapback]172061[/snapback][/right]

... You sure 'bout that Anthony? I mean I use that stuff on my leg brace to keep it moving freely ;)

NefCanuck

White Powder On Pos. Post - 2001 ZTS - 02-25-2006

You guys think I'm kidding about the Vaseline don't you?

You should listen to the old schoolers more often:

http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/tech...s_batterys.html

Google "vaseline battery posts" yourself if you wish.

White Powder On Pos. Post - FocusGuy7476 - 02-25-2006

or you could just clean the battery cables and posts every few months. if your lazy by putting vaseline or any type of grease on the battery post, you must have more money than brains.