FocusCanada Forums
Hi Guys! Special Project Focus - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Focus Talk (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Hi Guys! Special Project Focus (/showthread.php?tid=10842)

Pages: 1 2

Hi Guys! Special Project Focus - Ferocious ZX3 - 02-16-2006

Hi! I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Mat (or most of my friends call me BLUE). I currently Reside in Ottawa ON. I have a 2001 Ford Focus that's undergoing a pretty intense swap, not your average Turbo setup either.

I am putting in a 357ci Windsor Ford V8 and AOD combo into this Focus. It is also going RWD. I estimate it should be good for ~ 450hp to the rear wheels via an 8.8" RE. I am stting it up to be a fun summer daily driver that can also double for track duty.

Well I am hoping to get to know all of you more as time stretches on.

Take care

--BLUE

Hi Guys! Special Project Focus - scoobasteve - 02-16-2006

Nice :postpics:

Hi Guys! Special Project Focus - hardk0re - 02-16-2006

This beast going to be ready for this summer?

Hi Guys! Special Project Focus - FociPhil - 02-16-2006

wowza

WHAT SCOOBA SAID, WE NEED PROOF!

Hi Guys! Special Project Focus - Oscar The Grouch - 02-16-2006

I'm not sure I want to know what the costs are going to be for this changeover. :o

But still nice. Hope it doesn't break scooba's downtime record. :lol:

probably not I still have the Block in Bare form. I have the 10.5:1 Pistons to put in and all the other stuff. then the tranny needs a coat of paint... This swap isnt cheap by a long shot. I've already spend close to $7,000 in the swap parts already from Kugel Komponents. this also doesnt cover the engine, tranny or rear end...

Here's the Block ready for the build: [Image: 351WBlock.jpg]

and here's the engine Cradle Setup in the car with an aluminum 302 block that I was using to check clearances for my AOD tranny: [Image: FocusEngineMockup.jpg]

Hi Guys! Special Project Focus - Flofocus - 02-16-2006

Welcome....another Ottawa person! Sweet :D

What shop is doing the work? and can I come and see?? :D :D

They do powdercoating by any chance???

This is being done at my house, not a garage. For the powdercoating I have no Idea...

Just a wee tidbit. I am gonna say ball park a swap like this is gonna be close to $30,000.00 including the car.

Jebus, and I thought I spent a lot on my turbo :blink:

Hi Guys! Special Project Focus - darkpuppet - 02-16-2006

can't say I was ever sold on the v8 conversions...too much sacrifice IMO.

But your donuts will look a lot better than mine ever will :P

The Brute of the the expeses is the parts to do the conversion, combined with converting american currency to canadian and shipping costs It has gotten fairly expensive.

Kugel Komponents has authorized facilities to do these sort of swaps. However they use new crate motors and transmissions which escalates the cost tremendously.

Another expense are the rear end. The suggested rear end that the kit specifies is a rather weak rear end being a 28 spline 8.8" Ford Axle. I have opted to get a 8.8" rear end at a local scrap yard and rebuilt it with a 31 spline carrier, 31 spline axles, limited slip with upgraded clutches and springs and finally a Main cap Girdle this way the 357 wont reak havoc when I Have slicks on the car.

There are fairly expensive items such as the Radiator (675.00US) and the fuel Cell (675.00) I didnt purchase the fuel cell since It seemed like a rip off. Summit racing had nice 16 gallon fuel cells for 120ish.

The suspension is pretty well all bolt in using the Kit which is a coilover suspension for the rear and the fron is pretty well untouched other then a new steering rack and a few other things.

Here is a few photos of what the under pinnings of what it should look like. These photos are NOT mine these are of a car that was listed on EBAY a few weeks back.

[Image: Copyof77_12.jpg]
[Image: Copyofe0_12.jpg]
[Image: Copyof7a_12.jpg]

And for your viewing pleasure here is a little video of Project ZX351 that gave me the inspiration to do my own Focus V8 Swap.

http://www.tcf-v8-focus-conversions.com/zx351_shakedown.html

Hi Guys! Special Project Focus - focusonthis88 - 02-16-2006

NICE!!!

Nate, we won't be the fastest focus's in Ottawa!!!

Hi Guys! Special Project Focus - hardk0re - 02-16-2006

Fastest FWD focus :P

focusonthis_88,Feb 15 2006, 03:56 PM Wrote:NICE!!!

Nate, we won't be the fastest focus's in Ottawa!!!
[right][snapback]170677[/snapback][/right]

I have a feeling were not anyways. BerinG has been VERY quiet lately and I know when we did our little run I was pulling little by little on him......but he was only running 5psi :blink:

He's suppose to be up to 8-9 now :ph34r:

That or his new house purchase has sucked him dry.

Hi Guys! Special Project Focus - Frost__2001 - 02-16-2006

cool and welcome

Hi Guys! Special Project Focus - euro_zx5 - 02-16-2006

Can't wait to see the final outcome! Welcome!

Hi Guys! Special Project Focus - FocusGuy7476 - 02-16-2006

are you going to be running fuel injection or just leave it carbed?

ohh and welcome to the site.

Carbed. Demon 625cfm with an edelbrock Performer RPM intake, and AFR heads. EFI is too much hassle to deal with plus I will be removing all the unneeded wiring from the harnesses.

Hi Guys! Special Project Focus - schade - 02-16-2006

when you were doing your mock-up with the block sitting in the engine cradle ... was there enough room from the frewall to fit a chevy motor in there? or would the distributor hit the firewall? or is it really tight?

Hi Guys! Special Project Focus - FocusGuy7476 - 02-16-2006

schade,Feb 15 2006, 11:06 PM Wrote:when you were doing your mock-up with the block sitting in the engine cradle ... was there enough room from the frewall to fit a chevy motor in there? or would the distributor hit the firewall? or is it really tight?
[right][snapback]170732[/snapback][/right]

why?