FocusCanada Forums
Race Header - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focus on Performance (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Race Header (/showthread.php?tid=11245)

Race Header - ZX5focused - 01-17-2006

I am waiting to receive my FC 4-2-1 race head this week. I am also getting the FS flex-pipe. my question is what are the legal implications of running the car wiht out a Cat for a short period of time? 1-2 weeks.

i wasnt planning on installing it right away, but my local club is having a preseason dyno day on sat and i was hoping to run the car wiht the new header. but im not gonnna have enough money to get a universal cat.

so how would i get caught wihtout a cat and what would happen if i did?

Race Header - Casper - 01-17-2006

ZX5focused,Jan 16 2006, 04:23 PM Wrote:I am waiting to receive my FC 4-2-1 race head this week.  I am also getting the FS flex-pipe.  my question is what are the legal implications of running the car wiht out a Cat for a short period of time? 1-2 weeks. 

i wasnt planning on installing it right away, but my local club is having a preseason dyno day on sat and i was hoping to run the car wiht the new header. but im not gonnna have enough money to get a universal cat.

so how would i get caught wihtout a cat and what would happen if i did?
[right][snapback]165404[/snapback][/right]
A fine, and possibly an inspection.

Race Header - hardk0re - 01-17-2006

Typically you'll get pulled over for an inspection for 1 of three reasons.

1. Police profiling, ie your car has a "modified" look and they pull you over and give you a say take you to an inspection station.

2. Your car is insanely loud, so you attract their attention and they again take you to an inspection station or choose to inspect it themselves and give a ticket.

3. Standard safety road checks where they are just blitz hitting everybody for vehicle inspections (rare).

I'd say you really just need to be concerned with noise. I drove for a few weeks with race header and no cat and didn't get any trouble. Its all about how you drive, when you drive and where you drive.....

If you drive late at night at WOT your probably going to attract bad attention and get nabbed. If your loud without a cat. and are easy on the throttle you should be fine.....

BTW it IS going to be LOUD!

thanks kev
thats what i was looking for and what i figured would happen

and i know its gonna be loud, ill maybe look into another resonator
plus the cat will act like a resonator when i put it on.

Mine was insane LOUD and RICEY until I put the catalytic in after the flex and everything calmed down.

So don't get scared if it sounds like crap, once you put the catalytic in it will sound good again.

Race Header - Casper - 01-17-2006

hardk0re,Jan 16 2006, 04:56 PM Wrote:Mine was insane LOUD and RICEY until I put the catalytic in after the flex and everything calmed down.

So don't get scared if it sounds like crap, once you put the catalytic in it will sound good again.
[right][snapback]165408[/snapback][/right]

I'll be doing something similar soon.... OBX 4-1 shorty, race pipe, FC flex, 2nd gen MBRP. I'm counting on it being loud.

Race Header - Slimsride - 01-17-2006

or you could move to alberta.....where having a Cat isn't required. but i'm confused though...you dont' need a cat..and you can drive around with a giant crack in your windshield..but you can't have your drivers or passengers windows tinted????? Fawking retarded province i tell ya.

Race Header - bigman - 01-17-2006

do you have any pics of the cat mounted after the flex man. im doin the same thing soon too. i was looking into sprial cats to see if i could squeeze it in right after the header too. pics would help greatly. lates.

Race Header - nass - 01-17-2006

yeah pics would be great as I have to do this too. Also everyone that's done this and gone for an emissions test how did you fair??

Race Header - mo_focus - 01-17-2006

nass,Jan 17 2006, 01:57 AM Wrote:yeah pics would be great as I have to do this too. Also everyone that's done this and gone for an emissions test how did you fair??
[right][snapback]165432[/snapback][/right]

I have mine like that, but can't post anypics bc its cold and i dont want to jack to car :)

as for the test, i passed but it was a close call. make sure the car is warm and also you use a high octane gas.

I guess since this topic is already sort of about this.

Heres pics:
[Image: cat1.jpg]
[Image: cat2.jpg]

thats where mines goign too, cut insert and hten cut excess off the other end

Race Header - bigman - 01-19-2006

so did u relocate the second O2 to after the cat or just use the cheater? thats really my only concern. that and i hope there isnt a resinator in the way of the cat mount.

Race Header - hardk0re - 01-19-2006

I just use a cheater, the pipe was just cut and the resonator put in and welded to the flange thats it. Everything was pretty easy.

Hope it passes etest for me, I don't want to have to put in the stock cat, header, etc....

Race Header - bigman - 01-19-2006

ok so heres what im seeing with every resinated catback. the flex attaches to the cat back and the res is liek 6" from that flange. do u cut out the res, move it back then weld in the cat and res after that?

BTW u gonna be abel to fix that bumper for Chromey?

Race Header - dBlast - 01-19-2006

I have the SVT header kit on my ZX3 with a high flow RT cat bolted between the header and flex:

[Image: M9430ZX3L_a.jpg]

[Image: RTcat.jpg]

The kit came with O2 extention wires to connect to the SVT located cat (connected on the other side in the picture.)