FocusCanada Forums
Funny Smell From Heater Vents - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Focus Talk (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Funny Smell From Heater Vents (/showthread.php?tid=11793)

Funny Smell From Heater Vents - paolo - 11-29-2005

noticing a funny smell smells like burnt popcorn when the heat is high... anyone else have the same problem??

Funny Smell From Heater Vents - meford4u - 11-29-2005

Any liquid around the passenger floor?

Funny Smell From Heater Vents - schade - 11-29-2005

kinda sounds like the heatercore ... can you smell antifreeze?

i had a clutch cylinder leak a while back fixed under warranty, that was the only leak on the floor, i dont really remember what burning antifreeze smells like... maybe someone can take a whiff of my vent air and tell me?

Funny Smell From Heater Vents - meford4u - 11-29-2005

burning antifreeze has a very pungent odour. Can it be described as burnt popcorn? Not so sure about that.

Funny Smell From Heater Vents - NefCanuck - 11-29-2005

paolo,Nov 28 2005, 08:34 PM Wrote:i had a clutch cylinder leak a while back fixed under warranty, that was the only leak on the floor,  i dont really remember what burning antifreeze smells like...  maybe someone can take a whiff of my vent air and tell me?
[right][snapback]158158[/snapback][/right]

I kinda doubt you could forget that smell... Burning anti-freeze makes my eyes water :blink:

NefCanuck

Funny Smell From Heater Vents - focusnme - 11-29-2005

check your cabin air filter - maybe its green/black and mouldy??

i seen some pretty gross ones come out of my car

Funny Smell From Heater Vents - 2001 ZTS - 11-29-2005

paolo,Nov 28 2005, 06:56 PM Wrote:noticing a funny smell smells like burnt popcorn when the heat is high... anyone else have the same problem??
[right][snapback]158145[/snapback][/right]

Automatic?

I've not experienced it myself but a toasted autobox is suppossed to have a "woody" smell.

That is "woody" as in lumber, as in logs as in ............ah forget it, you can ask the guys in Saskatewan about what the other kind of woody smells like.

[Image: ajt.sized.jpg]

my coolant level has been noticably low.. ive needed to top it off atleast 2 times now because it magically lowers itself?? BTW, I have a Stick, not an automatic.. I also had my cabin air filter replaced 2 times so far.. I doublt its that.

Funny Smell From Heater Vents - 2001 ZTS - 11-29-2005

paolo,Nov 28 2005, 11:06 PM Wrote:my coolant level has been noticably low.. ive needed to top it off atleast 2 times now because it magically lowers itself??  BTW, I have a Stick, not an automatic..    I also had my cabin air filter replaced 2 times so far..  I doublt its that.
[right][snapback]158197[/snapback][/right]

I can't believe it but it smells like you have a cracked head or worse a bottom end job? Any discolourization in what is left of your rad fluid or oil dip stick look "milky" or "foamy"? (oil and coolant mixing)

Funny Smell From Heater Vents - schade - 11-30-2005

^^^^ what he said :(

put some cardboard under it at night and see if you get anything on it after leaving it parked over night ... or you can always take it to a garage and have the cooling system pressure tested, and see if it holds pressure ... sure way to find a leak/crack head then.

Funny Smell From Heater Vents - paolo - 11-30-2005

will xtended warranty cover this?

Funny Smell From Heater Vents - OAC_Sparky - 11-30-2005

paolo,Nov 29 2005, 11:57 PM Wrote:will xtended warranty cover this?
[right][snapback]158483[/snapback][/right]
It should.

Funny Smell From Heater Vents - ZTWsquared - 11-30-2005

2001 ZTS,Nov 29 2005, 12:14 AM Wrote:Any discolourization in what is left of your rad fluid or oil dip stick look "milky" or "foamy"? (oil and coolant mixing)[right][snapback]158201[/snapback][/right]
Did you check the condition of your oil? You might also check your exhaust ... even the smallest amount of coolant going into the combustion chamber will produce a strong smell and perhaps even some white smoke.

Funny Smell From Heater Vents - ANTHONYD - 12-01-2005

You may have a leak in the car.

Funny Smell From Heater Vents - paolo - 12-01-2005

the car is going to be looked at by ford, but i have no idea why my exhaust would be the problem?

Funny Smell From Heater Vents - ZTWsquared - 12-01-2005

paolo,Nov 30 2005, 08:31 PM Wrote:the car is going to be looked at by ford, but i have no idea why my exhaust would be the problem?
[right][snapback]158659[/snapback][/right]
Check exhaust = diagnostic check. Check the smell of your exhaust gases for evidence of coolant leaking into the combustion chamber -- blown gasket or cracked block might explain the loss of coolant; especially if you find none on the ground or in the oil.