FocusCanada Forums
Beginner - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focus on Performance (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Beginner (/showthread.php?tid=12347)

Beginner - cornflakes - 10-23-2005

Hey gang,

So I'm not familiar with all the names and parts of modding cars and stuff so for a beginner like me....what are the first performance mods you would recommend on a 100% stock 04 focus zts sedan?

Beginner - FocusGuy7476 - 10-23-2005

usually intake, throttle body, header, cat back exhaust, underdrive pullies, and ECU Chip/Flasher.

is it auto or standard

Beginner - hardk0re - 10-23-2005

Whats your buget, do you want "GO" or "SHOW"?

If it were me...
- Suspension upgrade
- Brake upgrade
- Exhaust Upgrade (full catback)
- Supercharger or Turbo (powerworks or something like roush turbo) - there are plenty to choose from.
- race header if your using a supercharger
- some nice rubber

BTW Welcome to the site.

Beginner - cornflakes - 10-23-2005

it is an automatic....and i don't know half the things you just mentioned lol.
But yes i do know about CAI and i am thinking of getting AEM?

Also for cat-back i am thinking of MBRP (is it full cat back??)

Now for the other stuff....u might have to explain to me what the heck they are and what they are for lol.

I don't plan so much for show ....more go (but show doesn't hurt as long as there is go with it lol).

Beginner - Slimsride - 10-24-2005

If it were me...
- Suspension upgrade
- Brake upgrade
- Exhaust Upgrade (full catback)
- Supercharger or Turbo (powerworks or something like roush turbo) - there are plenty to choose from.
- race header if your using a supercharger
- some nice rubber

okay Cornflake, these are those black round donut items on your vehicle that go round and round when you drive. They make screaching noise if you hit the brakes hard, or pop yer clutch. Usually 4 on your vehicle.

???whaaaaaaaaaaaaat, he said he needed some explainations..and i'm helping him out

Beginner - Raine - 10-24-2005

Slimsride,Oct 23 2005, 11:37 AM Wrote:Usually 4 on your vehicle.
[right][snapback]150962[/snapback][/right]

Unless you forgot to do the rear wheel bearing recall :lol:

Beginner - focusonthis88 - 10-24-2005

Go with a Supercharger or Turbo...don't spend alot on audio/video if you want performance...that was my error right flo?

Beginner - Flofocus - 10-24-2005

whats your budget?

CAI might be a waste if your looking at a bigger picture. ;)

Beginner - smith21 - 10-24-2005

also, if your looking at a CAI, some might argue, but your best bet would probably be to go with the Bomz from e-bay, basically the same as AEM but a hell of alot cheaper, also, i'd say start from exhaust and intake and work ur way, but suspension upgrades can't hurt either.

By the way, :hi: and can you also let us know how much you know about engines?

Beginner - cornflakes - 10-24-2005

okay i was thinking of doing intake (AEM or BOMZ now that u mention it) and exhaust (MBRP in hunstville).....but not sure what a throttle body is or does or under pullies??

What exactly is the benefit of doing a suspension upgrade? Is it basically "lowering" the car or does it "hug" the road better or something?

And when you say do "supercharger" or "turbocharger"....is that adding something to engine already there or replacing the whole engine?? It sounds costly.

My budget is i guess between $1-2K.

Beginner - Flofocus - 10-25-2005

cornflakes,Oct 23 2005, 08:13 PM Wrote:My budget is i guess between $1-2K.
[right][snapback]151022[/snapback][/right]

K, well SC and Turbos are out of your budget then.

I would go for suspension. The focus is blessed with a wonderful stock one, but upgrading it will def make the car more fun and responsive to drive. A proper suspension setup should cost you around ~$500.00. After that, I would open up that exhust so its 2.25" all the way threw. So header, Flex pipe and a cat back exhaust....that will probably cost you close to a $1000 maybe even more, but you def notice some gains opening up that exhuast system. *If you decide to go that route, make sure your opening the whole exhuast system and not just part of it. If your opening your header, and cat back exhuast to "2.25 and dont touch your flex, then your not really letting your engine breathe better with a wimpy 1.75" flex pipe stuck between your 2.25" header runner and 2.25" exhust system ;)

Beginner - 02ztsian - 10-25-2005

The MBRP exhaust is a great buy for the money, IMHO. Also, the BOMZ intake isn't that bad for the money. Just look around the various sites for used equipment, including throttle bodies and CAI. And check out junkyards or the sites for the 2000 intake manifold swap (just do a search on the various sites for more info on this swap). And finally, welcome to Sedan Nation!

Beginner - MAlby7 - 10-25-2005

Basically with your 1-2k budget I would get the following:

- MBRP Exhaust

- Either a BOMZ Cai, or just buy a K&N Cone Air Filter and stick it on the end of the Mass Air Flow sensor on your existing air intake pipe.

- Suspension: about a 1.5" Drop but make sure you get the whole kit (Shocks & Springs) and not just lowering springs.

- If you have any money left I will be selling my wheels soon. They're 17" wheels but the tires are pretty much done so you'd have to get new 215/40/17 tires.

Beginner - cornflakes - 10-25-2005

Is the MBRP exhaust system everything included? (2.25" all the way through) or would I still have to buy a 2.25 flexpipe + header after getting the MBRP installed?

Beginner - Flofocus - 10-25-2005

cornflakes,Oct 24 2005, 01:15 PM Wrote:Is the MBRP exhaust system everything included? (2.25" all the way through) or would I still have to buy a 2.25 flexpipe + header after getting the MBRP installed?
[right][snapback]151135[/snapback][/right]

MBRP would be a 'cat back' system, so Yes, you would have to buy everything else. I dont think there is any company that sells a header/cat/flex/and exhuast combo. Youll have to buy all the parts seperately. I'm not saying you wont see any gains if you just go with an exahust, but imagine how much better it would breathe with 2.25 all the way threw.....

Its like computer networking, you can have a 155Mbps OC3 pipe coming into your room bringing you ligthning fast internet, but only have 10Mbps network card, wtf is that going to do? :huh: :lol: