FocusCanada Forums
Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Focus Talk (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel (/showthread.php?tid=13003)

Pages: 1 2

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - Raine - 09-15-2005

I had bashed a curb 2 winters back after I slid out on black ice and got it all repaired by Ford. The rim had bent, tie rods needed to be replaced, everything else seemed okay, or so they said...

I've been noticing a problem since, but it wasn't until my stereo wasn't working that I realized it was a constant thing. Sometimes, when I turn my wheel full right, as I'm turning it back left it makes a little thud/knocking sound... almost as tho something's getting back into place... can kinda feel it in the car as well. Hasn't effected anything from what I can see, but it's annoying. Don't wanna pay ford $80 to just look at it. Anyone know off hand what it could be? If it's something simple, I'll see if Jay or someone who has some time to fix it up for me... if it's something complicated, I'll take it to the dealership...

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - Kool_ZX3 - 09-15-2005

Raine,Sep 14 2005, 11:20 PM Wrote:I had bashed a curb 2 winters back after I slid out on black ice and got it all repaired by Ford. The rim had bent, tie rods needed to be replaced, everything else seemed okay, or so they said...

I've been noticing a problem since, but it wasn't until my stereo wasn't working that I realized it was a constant thing. Sometimes, when I turn my wheel full right, as I'm turning it back left it makes a little thud/knocking sound... almost as tho something's getting back into place... can kinda feel it in the car as well. Hasn't effected anything from what I can see, but it's annoying. Don't wanna pay ford $80 to just look at it. Anyone know off hand what it could be? If it's something simple, I'll see if Jay or someone who has some time to fix it up for me... if it's something complicated, I'll take it to the dealership...
[right][snapback]142091[/snapback][/right]

Sounds like a cv joint is headin south

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - ca_focus - 09-15-2005

I bet you broke a spring....That happened to me a while back.

ca_focus,Sep 14 2005, 09:46 PM Wrote:I bet you broke a spring....That happened to me a while back.
[right][snapback]142099[/snapback][/right]

Normally I'd think you were 100% right, but for the fact that I changed the springs last year... got the rims on in April and the springs were fine then...

How would I check the CV joint? Also, what's involved in changing the rear linkage? I think it's dead again..

Raine,Sep 14 2005, 11:51 PM Wrote:
ca_focus,Sep 14 2005, 09:46 PM Wrote:I bet you broke a spring....That happened to me a while back.
[right][snapback]142099[/snapback][/right]

Normally I'd think you were 100% right, but for the fact that I changed the springs last year... got the rims on in April and the springs were fine then...

How would I check the CV joint? Also, what's involved in changing the rear linkage? I think it's dead again..
[right][snapback]142100[/snapback][/right]

Turn hard to the left if it makes a noise i believe your right cv joint is done if u hear a constant clunk, if you turn to the right your left cv joint is done if u get a constant clunk.

Cool, sounds about right then. What do you all figure a CV joint would run me?

Raine,Sep 15 2005, 12:29 AM Wrote:Cool, sounds about right then. What do you all figure a CV joint would run me?
[right][snapback]142110[/snapback][/right]

200 bucks or more at napa i would imagine

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - ANTHONYD - 09-15-2005

Your all wrong.

It's called a strut bearing.

Look at having to shell out about 250 to have that replaced.

I've had about 3 replaced.

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - OAC_Sparky - 09-15-2005

ANTHONYD,Sep 15 2005, 08:28 AM Wrote:Your all wrong.

[right][snapback]142148[/snapback][/right]
I was thinking that too. At least by the "something popping back into place" sound.

I had to have mine replaced on the Windstar; the dealer screwed them up when they replaced the springs under warranty..

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - BradfordZX3 - 09-15-2005

ANTHONYD,Sep 15 2005, 09:28 AM Wrote:Your all wrong.

$250 are you nuts!! I had mine replaced when I got my lowering springs put in and they were like $15 a side. you don't need the whole bearing mount kit you can buy just the bearings from ford.

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - OAC_Sparky - 09-15-2005

BradfordZX3,Sep 15 2005, 09:10 AM Wrote:$250 are you nuts!! I had mine replaced when I got my lowering springs put in and they were like $15 a side. you don't need the whole bearing mount kit you can buy just the bearings from ford.
[right][snapback]142159[/snapback][/right]
How much did they charge you to put in your springs?

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - BradfordZX3 - 09-15-2005

I paid $250 for the install. That included $50 allignment the two bearings and a $50 linkage in the front end.

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - OAC_Sparky - 09-16-2005

BradfordZX3,Sep 15 2005, 09:20 AM Wrote:I paid $250 for the install. That included $50 allignment the two bearings and a $50 linkage in the front end.
[right][snapback]142161[/snapback][/right]

ANTHONYD,Sep 15 2005, 08:28 AM Wrote:It's called a strut bearing.

So $30 for two strut bearings and almost the same amount of labour it took to change your springs.

Can't you see where Anthony got the "about" $250 cost to replace the bearings from?

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - ANTHONYD - 09-16-2005

OAC_Sparky,Sep 15 2005, 10:00 AM Wrote:
BradfordZX3,Sep 15 2005, 09:20 AM Wrote:I paid $250 for the install. That included $50 allignment the two bearings and a $50 linkage in the front end.

So $30 for two strut bearings and almost the same amount of labour it took to change your springs.

Can't you see where Anthony got the "about" $250 cost to replace the bearings from?
[right][snapback]142166[/snapback][/right]

Thank-you.

Labour labour labour!!!!

As for a spring installation???? I paid 65 bux!

:lol:

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - scoobasteve - 09-16-2005

PWN3d!

If youre really not convinced that its the strut bearings before you take it in al. inspect your CV boots. make sure there are no tears in them.

I know whenever the accclaim would nuke a cv joint. there was a tear or leak in the boot. then salt, water and dirt got in there and fuxor3d it

also, another way to tell if its the cv shaft. when youre turning does it sound like a constant clicking sound, do a really slow turn and you'll be able to tell

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - BradfordZX3 - 09-16-2005

ANTHONYD,Sep 15 2005, 12:25 PM Wrote:
OAC_Sparky,Sep 15 2005, 10:00 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]142166[/snapback][/right]

Thank-you.

Labour labour labour!!!!

As for a spring installation???? I paid 65 bux!

[right][snapback]142190[/snapback][/right]

Thank-you nothing To get two strut bearings in you it should cost you $30 and hour labour that equals not even $100 that is a far cry from $250 and as far as my $250 goes did you not see all of extra stuff I got done for that $250. Look at the facts before you guys shoot off.

And for your $65 spring install was the guy drunk at the time. Any book you look at, it is 3 hour job and most places charge $60 an hour so you do the math.

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - NOS2Go4Me - 09-16-2005

Your trunk monkey is knocking. Please water and feed it regularly.

I'd go with CV joint, but the other guys might be right about the strut bearing.

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - Kool_ZX3 - 09-16-2005

NOS2Go4Me,Sep 15 2005, 05:00 PM Wrote:Your trunk monkey is knocking. Please water and feed it regularly.

I'd go with CV joint, but the other guys might be right about the strut bearing.
[right][snapback]142320[/snapback][/right]

Strut bearing can only be heard and felt at slow speed like in a parking lot, our's just went boom on our car today in town :lol: When yah turn the wheel the drivers side spring and all is like skipping where the passenger side spring and everything glides gently like butter. Neew mount bearing and plate, the whole shabang is like 61 bucks at crappy and i am going to do it myself B)

also it can be heard turning the wheel both ways

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - BradfordZX3 - 09-16-2005

Kool_ZX3,Sep 15 2005, 07:11 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Sep 15 2005, 05:00 PM Wrote:Your trunk monkey is knocking. Please water and feed it regularly.

[right][snapback]142320[/snapback][/right]

Strut bearing can only be heard and felt at slow speed like in a parking lot, our's just went boom on our car today in town :lol: When yah turn the wheel the drivers side spring and all is like skipping where the passenger side spring and everything glides gently like butter. Neew mount bearing and plate, the whole shabang is like 61 bucks at crappy and i am going to do it myself B)

also it can be heard turning the wheel both ways
[right][snapback]142350[/snapback][/right]

you don't need the whole mount go to your ford dealer and buy the $15 dollar bearing and pop them in it make take a little longer but it will save you close to $90

And just so you know Napa sells the mount kit for $50

Knocking Noise When Turning Steering Wheel - OAC_Sparky - 09-16-2005

BradfordZX3,Sep 15 2005, 03:03 PM Wrote:Thank-you nothing To get two strut bearings in you it should cost you $30 and hour labour that equals not even $100 that is a far cry from $250 and as far as my $250 goes did you not see all of extra stuff I got done for that $250. Look at the facts before you guys shoot off.[right][snapback]142291[/snapback][/right]
Bradford,

Not trying to shoot off, what I'm saying is that as far as I'm aware the labour to change front springs looks about the same as replacing the bushings; at least as far as the Windstar went it was, haven't seen the manual time on the Focus, so if it is less I stand corrected.

But if Anthony had his replaced 3 times, is it conceivable that's what he paid?