FocusCanada Forums
Laptop Question - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Laptop Question (/showthread.php?tid=1340)

Laptop Question - NikiterZTS - 06-04-2009

Looking for a couple laptops to send over seas just for one work project that I deal with.

Needs to have RS232 ports and able to support Lab-View software.

Called BestBuy and Future Shop but this set up is pretty old school so they don't have it.

Should I contact DELL or IBM directly?

Thanks.

Laptop Question - Canadian ST - 06-04-2009

This isn’t directly regarding your laptop question/purchase, but stay away from Dell if you ever intend on using there tech support.

We’ve had our Dell for 3 years and called Tech support on a couple occasions, I was put on hold for hours (literally) with out any of my concerns/problems dealt with.

Laptop Question - Gravter - 06-04-2009

You see, that is odd... I've been dealing with Dell for the last 7 - 8 years and always had great support.
RS-232 might be hard to find on laptops, but I'm sure they are still available.

Laptop Question - NefCanuck - 06-04-2009

The other issue, when you say you are sending the laptops "overseas" be sure to check that export laws allow you to send these overseas.

In response to your RS-232 requirement, that's very old school now, you may be forced to buy a USB to RS-232 adapter.

Otherwise you'd be looking at a place that sells refurbished laptops to find something like that cheaply (there are new RS-232 equipped laptops, but those tend to be niche machines now, EG: "rugged" machine = $$)

Other issue is what OS'es does the Lab View S/W run under?

NefCanuck

Laptop Question - Jmountney1 - 06-04-2009

i would think your best bet would be to just get a usb to rs-232 adapter like mentioned above.

i have used PLC and robots that have required rs-232 and the way we got around it was the usb adapter.

the only problem was some times the computer would not recognize what we were trying to do.

i have had my dell laptop for 2 years now and the tec support has been grate

they have installed a new keyboard and lots of other goodys and they even sent me a new free charger when my one broke even thow it was all most 2 years old.

Laptop Question - torradan - 06-04-2009

USB-RS232 adapters aren't all the same.. you have to watch which you get.

I've tried 4 of them, and not all of the pins are "connected", so the device I was trying to do didn't work. I ended up buying the USB version of the device so I could control my trains :)

I heard the Cables to Go and the Keyspan USB-serial adapters are all good though (after the fact).

Dell support on the other hand... I prefer to speak with someone who spoke English. Called them once and that was enough.

Laptop Question - Scorcher000 - 06-04-2009

Dell suck balls, dirty, sweaty balls. I have 4 skids of old junks Dell pc's here waiting for Dell to come and send a truck to pick up. Spoke with a rep several times and the same story, I'll make sure it gets done lol. Were just gonna toss them. They will send you a new one quick and great service but the pick ups are out to lunch service.

Laptop Question - NikiterZTS - 06-04-2009

Lots of usefule info in here......called the whole bunch of places and looks like id have to go with RS-232 via USB adaptor

Laptop Question - darkpuppet - 06-04-2009

If you're looking at IBM Lappy's, I could probably hook you up with the friends and family deal.

$900 gets you a 2Ghz dual core machine with 15" screen, 100GB hdd, 2Gb RAM, etc etc... and something like 3 USB ports, so you can use RS232 adapters as well.

let me know if you're interested and I can hook ya up.