FocusCanada Forums
Check Engine Light - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Basics (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Check Engine Light (/showthread.php?tid=136)

Check Engine Light - KillaCamST - 04-01-2010

Today on my drive home, i look down and see the check engine light on!! BOOO!!! i have 104000km, going to be taking it in tomorow to get it checked up. Ill keep everybody posted!

Check Engine Light - dBlast - 04-01-2010

Don't take it to the stealership. They will rob you of $100 just to read the check engine light. It could be something as simple as you forgetting to tighten your gas cap at your last fill up.

There are plenty of people on here that have either an OBDII reader or a tuning device (XCal3) that can read the code in ten seconds and tell you what the problem is.

Where are you located?

Check Engine Light - hardk0re - 04-01-2010

DPFE?

Check Engine Light - KillaCamST - 04-02-2010

Well i hope it is something as easy as a gas cap problem. Im located in guelph, if someone has OBDII device or a tuning device i would be willing to make a small trip to see whats wrong with it. The car is going in on monday to get checked out a small local shop.

Check Engine Light - buzz2.0 - 04-02-2010

I work at a dealership $88.95 lol, i have a code reader my self tho, maybe i could help you out if you'd like to come to toronto. i got a programer if youd like some extra horse power i could tune it for you. :lol:

KillaCamST,Apr 1 2010, 08:21 AM Wrote:Well i hope it is something as easy as a gas cap problem. Im located in guelph, if someone has OBDII device or a tuning device i would be willing to make a small trip to see whats wrong with it. The car is going in on monday to get checked out a small local shop.
[right][snapback]304261[/snapback][/right]

Check Engine Light - NefCanuck - 04-02-2010

I have an Xcal2 that will read codes (I'm in Mississauga near SQ1)

NefCanuck

Check Engine Light - paolo - 04-04-2010

hardk0re,Apr 1 2010, 08:13 AM Wrote:DPFE?
[right][snapback]304255[/snapback][/right]

i would get a local member on here to scan for ODB codes, its also called a PFE, there is no D in the front of it. all 3 of my warranty invoices state that.

Check Engine Light - KillaCamST - 04-06-2010

Hey guys.
Meet up with daniel in milton and got the code of p0171, which is a leen condition code in bank 1 (only is 1 bank).
Common Problems:

PCM software needs to be updated

Vacuum Leaks (Intake Manifold Gaskets, vacuum hoses, PCV hoses etc.)

Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)
Plugged Fuel Filter or weak Fuel Pump
Plugged or dirty Fuel Injectors

I was doing some reading online, other fourms are saying pvc valve. But not to sure if the 2.3 has that. any idea? Any one know what my next step or steps should be? I read about cleaning the MAF, and then using a fuel enjector cleaner and then look for fuel pressure!
thanks guys.

Check Engine Light - NikiterZTS - 04-06-2010

paolo,Apr 3 2010, 01:36 PM Wrote:
hardk0re,Apr 1 2010, 08:13 AM Wrote:DPFE?
[right][snapback]304255[/snapback][/right]

i would get a local member on here to scan for ODB codes, its also called a PFE, there is no D in the front of it. all 3 of my warranty invoices state that.
[right][snapback]304382[/snapback][/right]

I had DPFE come up on my. It was that stupid hoes...collapsed

Check Engine Light - ZTWsquared - 04-06-2010

NikiterZTS,Apr 5 2010, 04:00 PM Wrote:It was that stupid hoes...collapsed
[right][snapback]304577[/snapback][/right]
LOL ... hate when that happens - definitely want your money back; no happy ending here.

Oh wait ... you meant "hose" ...

Never mind.

You crack me up Nik.

Check Engine Light - ZTWsquared - 04-06-2010

KillaCamST,Apr 5 2010, 02:38 PM Wrote:Hey guys.
Meet up with daniel in milton and got the code of p0171, which is a leen condition code in bank 1 (only is 1 bank).
Common Problems:

I was doing some reading online, other fourms are saying pvc valve. But not to sure if the 2.3 has that. any idea? Any one know what my next step or steps should be? I read about cleaning the MAF, and then using a fuel enjector cleaner and then look for fuel pressure!
thanks guys.
[right][snapback]304569[/snapback][/right]

Cleaning the MAF is easy (use only special MAF cleaner - CRC makes one) - and definitely called for if using an oiled aftermarket air filter.

Fuel filter is relatively easy and should be done regularly anyway ... IIRC it uses same as Zetec which is Motorcraft FG-986B.

PCV valve is easy and should be done regularly - Motorcraft number for Duratec 23 is EV-274.

Start with those (they're all cheap) and see what happens ... I've heard negative things about on-the-car fuel injection cleaning (including the add-to-gas kind) ... if it turns out to be bad injectors you're probably better off simply replacing them.

Good luck.

K

ZTWsquared,Apr 5 2010, 04:31 PM Wrote:
KillaCamST,Apr 5 2010, 02:38 PM Wrote:Hey guys.
Common Problems:

thanks guys.
[right][snapback]304569[/snapback][/right]

Cleaning the MAF is easy (use only special MAF cleaner - CRC makes one) - and definitely called for if using an oiled aftermarket air filter.

Fuel filter is relatively easy and should be done regularly anyway ... IIRC it uses same as Zetec which is Motorcraft FG-986B.

PCV valve is easy and should be done regularly - Motorcraft number for Duratec 23 is EV-274.

Start with those (they're all cheap) and see what happens ... I've heard negative things about on-the-car fuel injection cleaning (including the add-to-gas kind) ... if it turns out to be bad injectors you're probably better off simply replacing them.

Good luck.

K
[right][snapback]304593[/snapback][/right]

Cost of injectors?

Have not cleaned any of those. Is there a website that i could use for directions on how to clean those or where to find them?

Check Engine Light - NikiterZTS - 04-06-2010

ZTWsquared,Apr 5 2010, 04:23 PM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Apr 5 2010, 04:00 PM Wrote:It was that stupid hoes...collapsed
[right][snapback]304577[/snapback][/right]
LOL ... hate when that happens - definitely want your money back; no happy ending here.

Oh wait ... you meant "hose" ...

Never mind.

You crack me up Nik.
[right][snapback]304592[/snapback][/right]

iPhone typing fail.

Check Engine Light - KillaCamST - 04-08-2010

Quick update.
Removed and cleaned the K&N air filter. was pretty dirty, planning on changing the fuel filter this weekend. As of now the light has no come back on and ive put about 70km on!

Check Engine Light - Mystake - 04-09-2010

KillaCamST,Apr 7 2010, 01:31 PM Wrote:Quick update.
Removed and cleaned the K&N air filter. was pretty dirty, planning on changing the fuel filter this weekend. As of now the light has no come back on and ive put about 70km on!
[right][snapback]304719[/snapback][/right]

hahaha the engine isn't confused anymore (CEL = confused engine light)

Check Engine Light - KillaCamST - 04-09-2010

Another update.
Took the car to the shop, focus need vaccum hose and pcv valve. Part is coming from usa and will take 3-4 days to get here. But to put the pcv valve on, the intake manifold has to come out. Looking around 350-400$. I have read in some places that intake manifold doesnt have to to come out if you have the right tools! anyone know anything about this?