FocusCanada Forums
Timing Belt?or Serpentine? - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Basics (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Timing Belt?or Serpentine? (/showthread.php?tid=1546)

Pages: 1 2

Timing Belt?or Serpentine? - konafocuswrc - 05-01-2009

when my car is at 1000~1200 rpm range, it makes noise..

similar to when holding paper at fan(home thing) blade at very low speed..

is this sign of bad timing belt or serpentine belt??
my car is around 89,000miles=143,000kms..

Timing Belt?or Serpentine? - Gabriel - 05-01-2009

konafocuswrc,Apr 30 2009, 06:17 PM Wrote:when my car is at 1000~1200 rpm range, it makes noise..

similar to when holding paper at fan(home thing) blade at very low speed..

is this sign of bad timing belt or serpentine belt??
my car is around 89,000miles=143,000kms..
[right][snapback]286257[/snapback][/right]

That's a common problem with cars bought from California :lol: just kidding , just teasing you cause I've never been to Cali
Never heard of a timing belt to make a certain noise when being worn , the serpentine belt should maybe slip and squeak ...try some beltdressing to see if the noise goes away or changes the tone in any way . But I would also suspect an idler pulley or belt tensioner bearing

Timing Belt?or Serpentine? - konafocuswrc - 05-01-2009

is there any way i can check idle pulley or belt tensioner without taking belt off??

Timing Belt?or Serpentine? - Gabriel - 05-02-2009

konafocuswrc,Apr 30 2009, 09:59 PM Wrote:is there any way i can check idle pulley or belt tensioner without taking belt off??
[right][snapback]286270[/snapback][/right]

I don't think so ,you can try and see if the pulley has play , but if the tensioner's spring puts too much pressure , you might not feel anything . I would loosen up the belt (take it off the tensioner) and then check .I have also remebered something , back when I had a Windstar , I had a smiliar noise and noticed that the tensioner was bouncing up and down at idle . I took it to the dealer and they said it was the tensioner's spring . I don't remeber if they replaced the tensioner or the spring could be adjusted . I hope this will help you in some way

Timing Belt?or Serpentine? - Gabriel - 05-05-2009

Did you find the problem ?

Timing Belt?or Serpentine? - konafocuswrc - 05-05-2009

i haven't had a chance to figure out..
i do not want to remove anything because my focus is only car for commute to work..

i might just remove timing belt cover or something and visually see if there is crack or not..
and for serpentine belt, if i pull it, there must be no play right??

Timing Belt?or Serpentine? - Gabriel - 05-05-2009

konafocuswrc,May 4 2009, 06:35 PM Wrote:i haven't had a chance to figure out..
i do not want to remove anything because my focus is only car for commute to work..

i might just remove timing belt cover or something and visually see if there is crack or not..
and for serpentine belt, if i pull it, there must be no play right??
[right][snapback]286533[/snapback][/right]
Yes technically , but the best way is to depress the tensioner a little to check the the bearing .

Timing Belt?or Serpentine? - konafocuswrc - 05-06-2009

serpentine belt was fine, enough tension to it..
it only has less than 30k miles on it..swapped it when putting udp..

and this doesn't look good..
new time for timing belt for sure..
if the timing belt is not centered like this, what kind of symptom would i see??
losing power and hesitating and bogging probably??

excuse crappy cell phone pic and my fingers..
[Image: Photo-0010.jpg]

Timing Belt?or Serpentine? - Gabriel - 05-06-2009

what doesn't look good ? I don't know what to say just by looking at the picture ...you say the serpentine belt looks good , what about the tensioners pulley , is there any noise coming from there ? If you suspect there's something wrong with the timing belt , go to a mechanic or a Ford dealer and just ask the service advisor for a visual inspection , it shouldn't cost you just to have the guy stick his nose there for a few seconds

i thought belt has to be centered??

there is noise but i don;t know if it is coming from belt or pulley..

Timing Belt?or Serpentine? - Gabriel - 05-06-2009

konafocuswrc,May 6 2009, 01:09 AM Wrote:i thought belt has to be centered??

there is noise but i don;t know if it is coming from belt or pulley..
[right][snapback]286662[/snapback][/right]
I don't know about that...could be a matter of alignment with the other sprockets (or what's the proper term ,gear , it's past 1:00 am , my mind is slow now )
If you can't tell where the noise comes from get a long screw driver , and I mean a long enough one to be able to touch the tensioner and then put your ear on the handle and listen .It acts like a doctors stethoscope . Just don't touch or let it fall where the moving parts are

i completely removed timing belt cover and timing belt tension was tight and i didn't see any sign of crack..

i think ac compressor pulley is what makes noise or water pulley..
i will have to test if ac clutch is engaging or not..

i will try screwdriver method as well..

god i cannot sleep thinking this and that..

Timing Belt?or Serpentine? - Feral - 05-06-2009

Nah your timing belt is positioned correctly if it was hangin off the pully the engine support that closes in the idlers for the timing belt would of torn the crap outta it

heres what i mean :) (first Picture)

the timing belt cannot slip off and when it goes so does the timing

to check the belt unplug the coilpack and crank while peeking in if you have teeth missing change it if it doesn't then that belt is fine I would check the serpentine pullies

Another sure way to tell (for jokes) is when your timing doesn't spin at all you end up with this (second picture)

[Image: DSCF1541.jpg]

[Image: DSCF1858.jpg]

Timing Belt?or Serpentine? - Gabriel - 05-07-2009

I still suspect something in the serpentine belt area , but it's hard to poitnt out exactly , there are too many parts moving there , pulleys , idler pulley , tensioner , A/C <_< compressor as you said . Just be patient and take one at the time .
If the timing belt has teeth missing , that would change your timing and you'd know right away

Timing Belt?or Serpentine? - konafocuswrc - 05-07-2009

if timing is off, what symptom would i see??

stalling when comes to stop??

losing power under 2k rpm from idle??
because hesitate and bog below 2k rpm and above 2k rpm pick up power..

konafocuswrc,May 6 2009, 01:21 PM Wrote:if timing is off, what symptom would i see??

stalling when comes to stop??

losing power under 2k rpm from idle??
because hesitate and bog below 2k rpm and above 2k rpm pick up power..
[right][snapback]286716[/snapback][/right]
If the timing is off it will not run properly . If you want to check the timing belt , take off the cover , leave it in 4th or 5th gear , jack up the wheel and turn it . It should turn the engine and then you can check the belt for damage all around , inside and out , missing teeth etc (if) . You shouldn't have any teeth missing . One missing will lead to 2 to 3 to major engine damage . I can only describe general case from here , but if (seems to me )there are more problems there , I would take it to a shop . At first I thought it was just the noise , but if it adds up power loss , stalling , better be checked "live"by someone qualified .I don't want to scare you or confuse you ,it might not be a big deal , but if it is something important , better fix it before is too late .

mine is auto, there is no 5th gear..

i ordered pcv hose goes into intake manifolds for now..
i will see if this got to do with anything related to this stalling issue..
i m gonna go down to my car and see if i can gett noise recorded..

[quote=konafocuswrc,May 6 2009, 01:59 PM]
mine is auto, there is no 5th gear..

damn ! :(

ok here is thing..

turned ac on full blast for 10 minute when car is running, i don't see ac clutch engages..i guess i need new ac compressor..

chatter noise and bit of grinding noise is coming from cam..

is there 2 idler pulleys??
the one right below alternator is bouncing..
is this normal or no??

[Image: th_Video-0002.jpg]

Timing Belt?or Serpentine? - Focus man. Focus. - 05-07-2009

No pullies should be bouncing at all. Everything touching the belt should be tight. I would suspect you problem to be related to the loose tensioner. Most likely the bearing is shot or the tensioner spring.

BTW your video doesn't really show anything.