FocusCanada Forums
Seizing Brake Caliper / Piston? - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focus on Performance (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Seizing Brake Caliper / Piston? (/showthread.php?tid=1693)

Seizing Brake Caliper / Piston? - Nutella - 04-10-2009

I have a 2006 Focus ZXW with 33K kms.

On the hwy, the steering started vibrating above 100 km/h. Then it went away and came back periodically. Felt like balancing of the tire but that cant just go away.

So I jacked the front up and found the front-right wheel is stiff when spinning it. It won't spin freely (in neutral).

So the caliper is dragging. I guess it's the slider bolts or the piston stuck?

Is this a common problem? I guess I should lube the slider bolts and try again?

Seizing Brake Caliper / Piston? - Focus man. Focus. - 04-10-2009

Does the brake rotor look like it has had a lot of heat put to it? If not, it may also be the wheel bearing. A stuck caliper won't cause vibrations.

Focus man, Focus.,Apr 9 2009, 12:00 PM Wrote:Does the brake rotor look like it has had a lot of heat put to it? If not, it may also be the wheel bearing.  A stuck caliper won't cause vibrations.
[right][snapback]284674[/snapback][/right]

Doesn't look heat affected. I would think Wheel bearing would be more of a grinding and would not come and go. And I was in the middle of driving 60kms hwy when this was occurring. Bearings go fast and get worse in symptoms, no?

When I spun the wheel jacked, it had the grabby stiff feel exactly like as if the brake pads where holding it a bit.

Seizing Brake Caliper / Piston? - Gabriel - 04-10-2009

Nutella,Apr 9 2009, 11:34 AM Wrote:I have a 2006 Focus ZXW with 33K kms.

On the hwy, the steering started vibrating above 100 km/h.  Then it went away and came back periodically.  Felt like balancing of the tire but that cant just go away.

So I jacked the front up and found the front-right wheel is stiff when spinning it. It won't spin freely (in neutral). 

So the caliper is dragging.  I guess it's the slider bolts or the piston stuck?

Is this a common problem?  I guess I should lube the slider bolts and try again?

[right][snapback]284673[/snapback][/right]
If you tried to turn the wheel (jacked up ) and it didn't turn freely it's got to be because either the caliper's piston doesn't return properly , or like you said the slider bolts are not allowing the caliper to move easily . Also if the pads are worn out , sometimes the piston goes too far out and won't return .But in either case , the pads will rub continuously against the rotor , that could warp because of the heat , even if it won't go as far as having smoking or overheating to make the bearing seize . Anyway , It seems to me that Ford installs poor quality rotors . It happened on my '96 Windstar and I had to turn the rotors several times and I have now the same problem with the '06 E-250 with just 30k on .

Gabriel,Apr 9 2009, 02:23 PM Wrote:

On the hwy, the steering started vibrating above 100 km/h.  Then it went away and came back periodically.  Felt like balancing of the tire but that cant just go away.

Is this a common problem?  I guess I should lube the slider bolts and try again?

If you tried to turn the wheel (jacked up ) and it didn't turn freely it's got to be because either the caliper's piston doesn't return properly , or like you said the slider bolts are not allowing the caliper to move easily . Also if the pads are worn out , sometimes the piston goes too far out and won't return .But in either case , the pads will rub continuously against the rotor , that could warp because of the heat , even if it won't go as far as having smoking or overheating to make the bearing seize . Anyway , It seems to me that Ford installs poor quality rotors . It happened on my '96 Windstar and I had to turn the rotors several times and I have now the same problem with the '06 E-250 with just 30k on .
[right][snapback]284687[/snapback][/right]

Pads are fine as this problem just started recently and there is only 33K. I hope its not bearing or piston. My first guess is the sliders which I have to check and lube.

I tried to remove the caliper but didnt have 7mm hex, which I believe is what I need

Nutella,Apr 9 2009, 02:54 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,Apr 9 2009, 02:23 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]284687[/snapback][/right]

Pads are fine as this problem just started recently and there is only 33K. I hope its not bearing or piston. My first guess is the sliders which I have to check and lube.

I tried to remove the caliper but didnt have 7mm hex, which I believe is what I need
[right][snapback]284689[/snapback][/right]
if the problem is persisting , machine the rotors , i'm pretty sure it will help...
to check the bearing , remove the brake pads , but leave the wheel on and turn it , it should have play or a certain grinding sound , but my feel says it's not the bearing ... just an opinion

Gabriel,Apr 9 2009, 03:25 PM Wrote:if the problem is persisting , machine the rotors  , i'm pretty sure it will help...
to check the bearing , remove the brake pads , but leave the wheel on and turn it , it should have play or a certain grinding sound , but my feel says it's not the bearing ... just an opinion

Yeah I'll check this. But machining is not cheap anymore. It's almost better to get new rotors.

Nutella,Apr 9 2009, 03:47 PM Wrote:[quote=Gabriel,Apr 9 2009, 03:25 PM]if the problem is persisting , machine the rotors  , i'm pretty sure it will help...

Yeah I'll check this. But machining is not cheap anymore. It's almost better to get new rotors.
[right][snapback]284695[/snapback][/right]
[/quot
My mechanic did it pretty cheap , I can give you his phone # if you want and check with him . He's on Keele St between Finch and Steeles . But if you buy new ones buy aftermarket , I have Powerslot slotted , teamed with ceramic pads , never had any trouble and I used them on track too

Seizing Brake Caliper / Piston? - Nutella - 04-14-2009

Dealer checked it. Found it was indeed the caliper seized, they are replacing it under warranty. it expires next week!

Seizing Brake Caliper / Piston? - reldridge - 04-15-2009

The piston was seized, or the slide pins were seized?

Ryan