FocusCanada Forums
CAI and exhuast Qs... - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Basics (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: CAI and exhuast Qs... (/showthread.php?tid=18019)

CAI and exhuast Qs... - arpaul15 - 06-14-2010

I was thinking about getting a CAI and doing the lunchbox delete, but just had a couple questions. Would reducing the exhaust restriction reduce some back pressure that is required by these small engine's valves to function properly? and how safe(waterwise) is it to put in a CAI? and what kind? I dont want to risk rain water getting in thru the intake, so what are the options?

RE: CAI and exhuast Qs... - NikiterZTS - 06-14-2010

You're fine with 2.25" exhaust since you're N/A. For intake I'd go with Volant intake.

RE: CAI and exhuast Qs... - GFXjamie - 06-14-2010

out of all honesty, unless your driving through water 12" high a cai is perfectly fine. i give a +1 for the volant, one of the best intakes for the zetec. like nik said 2.25 is fine, back pressure wont be had from a catback, as you have a very restrictive manifold and catalytic converter up front.

RE: CAI and exhuast Qs... - sonic_mikey - 06-14-2010

(06-14-2010, 11:17 PM)GFXjamie Wrote: out of all honesty, unless your driving through water 12" high a cai is perfectly fine. i give a +1 for the volant, one of the best intakes for the zetec. like nik said 2.25 is fine, back pressure wont be had from a catback, as you have a very restrictive manifold and catalytic converter up front.

+1 for the CAI info! Iv got an AEM one on my SVT and have driven through puddles that have cleaned my fog lights and it still sat high and dry lol

RE: CAI and exhuast Qs... - arpaul15 - 06-15-2010

(06-14-2010, 11:17 PM)GFXjamie Wrote: out of all honesty, unless your driving through water 12" high a cai is perfectly fine. i give a +1 for the volant, one of the best intakes for the zetec. like nik said 2.25 is fine, back pressure wont be had from a catback, as you have a very restrictive manifold and catalytic converter up front.

Thnx for the info guys! volant intake, lunchbox delete happening soon.

RE: CAI and exhuast Qs... - Flofocus - 06-16-2010

well...every party needs a party-pooper. Confused

I had a CAI before I boosted my focus and when it rained, it ran like a bag of ass. Got a little better when I bought a proper K&N filter, but would still buckle during heavy rain storms. I wouldn't run one at all if its a dd.

Volant is good though as I believe the intake doesnt go near the ground...

RE: CAI and exhuast Qs... - GFXjamie - 06-16-2010

sorry, didnt realize at first that you had a duratec until meeting you last night. scrap the volant idea. its for the zetec focus. i would grab one from FSwerks as it will be the best out of all the intakes available, but you will want to call them and get them to send it USPS so you save on brokerage and duty fees a little. definitely will liven up the car.

RE: CAI and exhuast Qs... - reldridge - 06-17-2010

My coworker just installed the Steeda on his Duratec, and it sounds mean and looks good. He says he's noticed a difference in it.

RE: CAI and exhuast Qs... - GFXjamie - 06-17-2010

the thing i dont like about the steeda intake is this:

it re uses stock MAF pipe, is very basic and for how much it costs its stupid. you may aswell spend 5$ and make a stealth intake with a bend on it for filter positioning.

like for 250$ you might aswell spend 199$ @ FSwerks, 32$ for shipping and have it send through usps. will have a far better quality intake that doesnt re use any factory bits except the MAF.

http://www.fswerks.com/coolflo.htm
http://www.steeda.ca/_555-3104_Focus_2.02.3_Duratec_CAI.asp

you be the judge...

RE: CAI and exhuast Qs... - arpaul15 - 06-22-2010

I think the FSW CAI is a good/better option, than the Steeda in this case. I personally like FSW products, so i might just stick to those..

RE: CAI and exhuast Qs... - konafocuswrc - 06-29-2010

go with short ram, one of my buddy with mazda 3 hydrolocked his engine yesterday!
at the same time, i have short ram and hood is cut and exposed, not a single problem..

i do not think getting cai is worth if you drive a lot in downtown area..especially with this shitty weathers summer time..