FocusCanada Forums
T-stat / t-stat housing - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Basics (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: T-stat / t-stat housing (/showthread.php?tid=18381)

T-stat / t-stat housing - NOS2Go4Me - 09-14-2010

OK, so the small coolant leak that only seems to appear under decent / heavy load or higher RPMs is definitely coming from the t-stat / housing. Near the bottom or at the bottom-front hose fitting. Hard to tell at that angle.

What's the average cost for one of each? Isn't it easier to do them both at the same time?

Otherwise, aside from rotors I'm good apparently (that we can see so far).

RE: T-stat / t-stat housing - j3rt - 09-15-2010

I think 180 for both parts, that was for my wagon though, which seemed to always cost more then regular foci. If there was a more expensive part, that was the one the car needed.

RE: T-stat / t-stat housing - Oscar The Grouch - 09-15-2010

Kinda odd. I got pricing from Maslack here in North Bay (Auto Value) and pricing for the t-stat, O-ring, and housing is bout 25 bucks for 11/1999-pre focus, bout 70 bucks for a 12/1999-after focus.

RE: T-stat / t-stat housing - konafocuswrc - 09-15-2010

price difference is because oem vs oe spec.
t stat cracking is common issue. mine happened at 70kmile.

RE: T-stat / t-stat housing - mo_focus - 09-15-2010

yeah when i did mine it wasnt that much either. Maybe around 70 for housing and stat. I think you need to take yours out and see how many parts are needed. I only changed what was required on one of the cars and both pieces on the other car. I've done it like 3-4 times already with the focus Smile

or...... just go to junk yard and look for a contour one, they were metal and lasted lot longer then the cheap plastic that was used in Focus.

RE: T-stat / t-stat housing - NOS2Go4Me - 09-15-2010

Oscar's working with Maslack to figure it out.

So, I'll double-check with the haynes manual tonight, but it flows in one side, out the other and the third hose flows back to the overflow bottle. There's no direct coolant circulation to the block - right?

Added a pic.

RE: T-stat / t-stat housing - Focus man. Focus. - 09-15-2010

Nope goes into the head aswell. That is where the t-stat goes.

RE: T-stat / t-stat housing - NOS2Go4Me - 09-15-2010

Hmmm moar investigation needed. The Haynes manual appears to disagree with that, and the the fact there are 3 bolts for the t-stat at the front of the housing agrees with the manual.

Hrm. A mystery, this is. Understand, soon we will. Trust in the force you must. </yoda>

Sweet, just talked with Oscar. Apparently I'm a retard. My bad. But, I can admit it. Smile

I'll get the parts at lunch today.

RE: T-stat / t-stat housing - NOS2Go4Me - 09-18-2010

OK, so it's being worked on right but Ford in their infinite F'ing wisdom has changed the design of the block-side housing to exclude the brass threaded inserts for the thermostat-mounting bolts. So, your earlier mounting bolts are now useless. Noone tells you this.

So, now I'm waiting for Monday for the new bolts to come in so that we can seal up the cooling system and get it on the road. And yes, the block-side housing was leaking, right down the block at the bottom of the housing itself.