FocusCanada Forums
Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Basics (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! (/showthread.php?tid=19228)

Pages: 1 2

Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - arpaul15 - 06-30-2011

So I was trying to get the rear bolt off the dogbone mount, for nearly 5 hours today and it wouldn't move!!Angry Angry Sprayed wd40, no use...got some liquid wrench, no good. Used an impact wrench, wrench and hammer, brute force, got a buddy to help attack too....all in vain....Sad tried jacking the tranny up....played around with it moving it up and down even. I give up.
Anybody have some last tips to try before I take it to a shop?

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - Focus man. Focus. - 06-30-2011

A 6' pipe on the end of you breaker bar.

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - hardk0re - 06-30-2011

Not to scare you but I snapped the one in the silver partout svt tonight...wtf do we do when that happens? suddenly it turns into a freaking nightmare....

Let her soak good, spray the top of the bolt on the oposite side of the head as this is where the threads rust and bind up.

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - arpaul15 - 06-30-2011

(06-30-2011, 01:56 PM)hardk0re Wrote: Not to scare you but I snapped the one in the silver partout svt tonight...wtf do we do when that happens? suddenly it turns into a freaking nightmare....

Let her soak good, spray the top of the bolt on the oposite side of the head as this is where the threads rust and bind up.

Lol I think I'll be best of taking it to a shop. I soaked the hell outta it. Soaked the top part good. If I use anymore force on that bolt it might snap. If it happens in the shop...won't be my headache atleast...

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - hardk0re - 06-30-2011

how long of a prybar are you using? I use a 24" usually takes almost anything off....or yeah...SNAP Tongue

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - MuskokaZX3 - 06-30-2011

Im attacking mine tonight... Feelin pretty confident... Also might toss my balance shaft delete in as well... Paul just get a longer breaker bar... Should be able to get em... I thought I was gonna break one of my lca bolts when I was changing my suspension... Just takes a little patience and about 240 lbs of pure man strength lol... Good luck!!

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - arpaul15 - 06-30-2011

Lol u guys are tempting me to give her another go today! My breaker bar wasn't long enough, 15". I'm gonna get a longer one today. Even a 320ft-lbs impact wrench couldn't make it move. And what happens if I snap that bolt?....how would that be fixed?

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - MuskokaZX3 - 06-30-2011

Put some heat to er as-well... Little propane torch works good... And if it breaks.... I dunno lol... Drill out the broken bolt?

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - Oscar The Grouch - 07-01-2011

Propane might not be good enough. Might have to get an acetylene one to warm it up good.

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - MuskokaZX3 - 07-01-2011

Yea maybe... Propane worked fine for me cuz I just had to warm up my lca bushings a bit... Acetylene might be necessary since your actually trying to get the metal to expand... I'll be working on swapping mine out tonight... I'll let you know how it goes paul

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - arpaul15 - 07-01-2011

(07-01-2011, 04:34 AM)MuskokaZX3 Wrote: Yea maybe... Propane worked fine for me cuz I just had to warm up my lca bushings a bit... Acetylene might be necessary since your actually trying to get the metal to expand... I'll be working on swapping mine out tonight... I'll let you know how it goes paul

Gluk man! Yes do let me know how it goes. I'm postponing my install till next week, Or till I get a longer breaker bar.

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - Oscar The Grouch - 07-01-2011

you could always use a pipe as an extension.

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - MuskokaZX3 - 07-01-2011

Didn't do mine last night lol... Got my jack under my car, then thought about how I was gonna actually swap the bushings... Only way I figured is vice the motor mount then hammer the old bushings out... Place the mount and new bushing in the vice then slowly close the vice to compress the bushing into the mount... Ne other ways neone can think of?

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - hardk0re - 07-01-2011

Assuming you have the mount out...

Tools Req:
VICE
Medium Flat Screwdriver
Large Flat Screwdriver
Regular Hammer
Deadblow (rubber) Mallet.

- Place mount in vice so you can access the small bushing. Then using the medium screwdriver go and hammer it in around the old bushing. Get it all the way through to the other side. Go all the way around like this.

- Using the medium or large screwdriver hammer it down and start prying around the bushing, you'll get it out eventually...it takes some time.

^^ Repeat above steps with large bushing. The large one is real easy, use the large screwdriver to pry it out quicker since you can get some good leverage on it.

- Once done, clean up the mount, I like to sand the inside with some 120grit sandpaper, then follow with some 220 to make it smooth.

- Then pound in the new bushings with the rubber mallet. DO NOT USE ANY LUBRICANT!!! I'm sure the instructions already say this...i'm just repeating it.

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - MuskokaZX3 - 07-02-2011

^^ my plans almost to the T

Well just got the mount... Was actually fairly easy... Had my torque gun out... Then just tried with my breaker bar and they both turned out easy enough... Hardest part was moving the motor enough to get the mount actually out... Heading to the father-in-laws tomorrow to swap bushings

K... Got the bushings swapped tonight actually and am part of the way done getting it back together... First hard pard was getting the fat part level enough to slide in... Now I'm trying to get the thin part mounted into the actual engine... I'm having trouble getting the engine lined up on the mount... I try to jack the engine up to get the mount further down on the hole but it just ends up binding and going up with the engine... Bushings are a lot tighter in the hole than the stock ones... Eventually ran out of light tonight but I'm pretty confident I'll get er done first thing in the morning!

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - arpaul15 - 07-03-2011

(07-02-2011, 11:52 AM)MuskokaZX3 Wrote: K... Got the bushings swapped tonight actually and am part of the way done getting it back together... First hard pard was getting the fat part level enough to slide in... Now I'm trying to get the thin part mounted into the actual engine... I'm having trouble getting the engine lined up on the mount... I try to jack the engine up to get the mount further down on the hole but it just ends up binding and going up with the engine... Bushings are a lot tighter in the hole than the stock ones... Eventually ran out of light tonight but I'm pretty confident I'll get er done first thing in the morning!

Nice progress! I heard people just put the jack under the mount itself and then jacked it up into the engine. We'll it's always easier said than done( as I still haven't gotten to getting that first bolt out lol) so lemme know how u eventually get it all in place and how the difference feels.

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - MuskokaZX3 - 07-03-2011

Difference is crazy in neutral and when u give it that first touch of gas... Lots o vibration in the steering wheel and pedals... But after the initial gas, you don't notice it... I'm just wondering if I put the bushings in the rightway... Only found one picture online with them actually installed on the car... Gonna pop my head under the car again today and see if it's shifted at all.

RE: Rear motor mount bolt wouldn't budge! - arpaul15 - 07-05-2011

How bad is the vibration?? That's one of my biggestt concerns with the poly mount!! What 'good' differences do you feel? And is it worth the vibration? Changed my upper hydrolic mount cuz of vibration last year, hope this rear poly mount doesn't bring that back too much.