FocusCanada Forums
ANYONE EVER REPLACE THEIR REAR BEARINGS? - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Focus Talk (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: ANYONE EVER REPLACE THEIR REAR BEARINGS? (/showthread.php?tid=20667)

ANYONE EVER REPLACE THEIR REAR BEARINGS? - ANTHONYD - 09-26-2012

How tough was it?
Is this something I could knock off in my driveway or should I just take it over to a garage?

Keep in mind, i'm not overly mechanical, but capable.

RE: ANYONE EVER REPLACE THEIR REAR BEARINGS? - mo_focus - 09-26-2012

not worth it imo! its easier and faster just to replace the rear drums. The bearings come with them.

RE: ANYONE EVER REPLACE THEIR REAR BEARINGS? - Burnin21 - 09-26-2012

Exactly what Mo said! You need a press to punch the old ones out and to press the new ones in should you decide to not replace the old drums

RE: ANYONE EVER REPLACE THEIR REAR BEARINGS? - Focus man. Focus. - 09-26-2012

If they are making a lot of noise it's better not to wait. Almost lost a wheel on The Gardener. By the time I got pulled off the road the wheel was at a 45 degree angle and all the little balls were missing. Luckily Todd had an old pair of drums kicking around that he brought to the rescue.

This was shortly before I switched to the rear discs.

RE: ANYONE EVER REPLACE THEIR REAR BEARINGS? - Lucster1000 - 09-26-2012

I've done mine, drums and bearings are like a cassette. If the drums are going or the bearings just replace them both. I did it myself in my driveway. The parts are not too expensive. I have a friend who is a mechanic at a Ford dealership and he said for them to do both is around $350.00 with labour.

RE: ANYONE EVER REPLACE THEIR REAR BEARINGS? - reldridge - 09-26-2012

AD, if you've never had them apart before yourself, and don't want to do brakes at the same time, I'd take them to a good mechanic. I did mine myself, as well as all new rear brakes as well. I will never touch drum brakes again!

I've never wished I'd done a rear disc brake conversion more in my life... Smile

RE: ANYONE EVER REPLACE THEIR REAR BEARINGS? - ANTHONYD - 09-27-2012

LOL.
Mechanic bound.
They were pretty loud a few weeks back and are now making a different noise. I'm playing russian roulette at the moment. Luckily I drive only a few kms a day.

Matt (Burnin21) feel like making a few bucks on the side?
I'll get the parts.