FocusCanada Forums
Camber Adjustment - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focus on Performance (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Camber Adjustment (/showthread.php?tid=2735)

Camber Adjustment - Oscar The Grouch - 09-05-2008

Looking at buying some camber adjustment hardware and not sure what to get.

I've got a set of Eibach Pro-Kit Springs dropping about 1.5-1.7".

I'm kind of leaning towards some SPC rear camber bolts and front camber plates, but there is also upper camber arms available for the rear.

Has anyone had any experience with these and what do you recommend for a mild lowered machine?

Camber Adjustment - ZTWsquared - 09-05-2008

Oscar The Grouch,Sep 4 2008, 01:07 PM Wrote:Looking at buying some camber adjustment hardware and not sure what to get.

I've got a set of Eibach Pro-Kit Springs dropping about 1.5-1.7".

I'm kind of leaning towards some SPC rear camber bolts and front camber plates, but there is also upper camber arms available for the rear.

Has anyone had any experience with these and what do you recommend for a mild lowered machine?
[right][snapback]271633[/snapback][/right]
My experience with the Pro-kit is that the front camber adjusters are more trouble then they are worth (at least the cheap ones like SPC) ... the rears you need and the bolt type is easy to install and works well.

Fronts ... I installed the adjusters at the same time as the new springs and immediately had trouble getting the springs to seat properly ... after just one day of driving one of the springs "slipped" out of its seat and essentially destroyed the strut bearing.

My guy was great - he reinstalled the spring and strut, put on a new strut bearing (at that time we hadn't identified the camber adjusters as the problem) and tried it again ... two days later same thing.

That's when we took a deep dive into what the problem was ... bottom line the SPC camber adjusters work by moving the centre of the upper strut (but not the strut bearing) ... so it changes the angle the spring sits on the strut and puts sideways pressure on it ... we took the adjusters off and did an alignment ... it was just within OEM specs without the adjuster plates ... and over a year later I've noticed no abnormal wear on my tires.

Camber Adjustment - reldridge - 09-05-2008

How is your alignment without them? Do you need to correct a camber issue, or are you trying to align for tracking?

If car is to be street only, and the alignment is fine, why bother?

Camber Adjustment - Focus man. Focus. - 09-05-2008

I had my Pro_Kit springs installed this May and I had no trouble with the alignment. I have not had any abnormal tire wear and no problems with tracking other than in the ruts in the pavement that the TTC leaves in the curb lane of most city streets. I hate the damage the TTC does with their busses on a hot summer day.