FocusCanada Forums
Coming Soon To Your Ford Store? - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Focus Talk (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Coming Soon To Your Ford Store? (/showthread.php?tid=3181)

Coming Soon To Your Ford Store? - oldeguy - 06-05-2008

The Focus in Europe is now available with what Ford calls Powershift, an automatic transmission with manual mode. apparently it has impressed the critics, with many comparisons to the VW transmission. More hope for us here, that it will find it's way over here. :huh:

Coming Soon To Your Ford Store? - NOS2Go4Me - 06-05-2008

So it's a DSG? NICE. They're the wave of the future, or at least of the immediate future.

Coming Soon To Your Ford Store? - Canadian ST - 06-06-2008

We have a old Trex with the power shift transmission in it. Its smooth on the up-shift but if you downshift at high rpm you get axle slap from the driveshaft.

Coming Soon To Your Ford Store? - naz - 06-06-2008

it IS a DSG which is awesome but i bet you ford is going to find a way to make it suck, such as programming it make slow, sloppy downshifts in the name of 'smoothness' or pairing it with retardedly long gears in the name of 'fuel economy'

Coming Soon To Your Ford Store? - oldeguy - 06-06-2008

The reviwer, at http://www.carmagazine.co.uk was quite impressed. The only downside is that the transmission is only available in the diesels.

Coming Soon To Your Ford Store? - naz - 06-07-2008

oldeguy,Jun 6 2008, 12:49 PM Wrote:The reviwer, at http://www.carmagazine.co.uk was quite impressed. The only downside is that the transmission is only available in the diesels.
[right][snapback]266133[/snapback][/right]

you're right. i'm probably reading between the lines too much. reviews seem to emphasis the fuel economy aspect of the transmission.. unlike reviewsof competitive vehicles with a DSG that say stuff like

Quote:S-Sport holds gears even longer and downshifts more aggressively, banging off gearchanges with real vigor.

Coming Soon To Your Ford Store? - oldeguy - 06-07-2008

naz,Jun 6 2008, 12:14 PM Wrote:
oldeguy,Jun 6 2008, 12:49 PM Wrote:The reviwer, at http://www.carmagazine.co.uk was quite impressed. The only downside is that the transmission is only available in the diesels.
[right][snapback]266133[/snapback][/right]

you're right. i'm probably reading between the lines too much. reviews seem to emphasis the fuel economy aspect of the transmission.. unlike reviewsof competitive vehicles with a DSG that say stuff like

Quote:S-Sport holds gears even longer and downshifts more aggressively, banging off gearchanges with real vigor.
[right][snapback]266152[/snapback][/right]
You want a sports model over there, get an ST. Usually the diesels are for those that are more interested in economy.

Coming Soon To Your Ford Store? - naz - 06-07-2008

oldeguy,Jun 6 2008, 04:38 PM Wrote:You want a sports model over there, get an ST
[right][snapback]266156[/snapback][/right]

if the ST is made available in north america i'm definitely going to check it out!