FocusCanada Forums
Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focus on Performance (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) (/showthread.php?tid=3549)

Pages: 1 2

Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - Focus man. Focus. - 04-11-2008

I am looking to replace my Fuzion ZRi tires I currently have on my ZX5. I have had these tires for 3 years and I have been quite happy with them. I am very price conscious and not looking to spend a lot of money. I need a set of 4 205/50R16.

What are your opinions of a good replacement set of tires without breaking the bank?

Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - naz - 04-11-2008

you need to give us more input on how you are planning to use the tires so we can help you find a 'best' for your needs.

if you define best as "lots of grip for a low price" it is very hard to beat Falken azenis RT615. in the size you are looking for they are $72/each

on the other hand if best is "lasts a long time for a low price" the kumho AST are $48/each with a 400 treadwear rating

personally, i like the RT615 a lot you will not be disappointed with the grip. if you are ok with getting new tires every 20k miles you should think about getting these tires

Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - Focus man. Focus. - 04-11-2008

Well like I said, I have had my current tires for about 3 years and they have been great. I deffenatly don't want to be changing tires every year. I only use these tires in the nice months as I have a set of winter rims and tires. I do not do any track days or 1/4 mile runs of any sort. I do commute around 65KM a day on the DVP and Gardiner round trip. So something that will last a while, be grippy on the on ramps and do alright in the rain is what I am looking for.

Has anyone used or heard anything about Riken Raptor tires? They are W speed rated, directional and look to be made by BFGoodrich.
[Image: bfg-20507_w.jpg]

Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - oldeguy - 04-11-2008

They're made by Michelin. I read some mixed reviews though. Look up Falken 912's. I have 512's now and haven't had any troubles. Buying 912's in the fall when the 512's are worn out.

Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - _JC_ - 04-11-2008

do the 615s come in the size for stock 15's ......

and where u guys getting thease pricess they sound good

Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - focusonthis_88 - 04-11-2008

check out maxxis tires...There getting alot of attention and they not that expensive.

Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - naz - 04-11-2008

Focus man, Focus.,Apr 10 2008, 07:02 PM Wrote:I deffenatly don't want to be changing tires every year.  I only use these tires in the nice months as I have a set of winter rims and tires.  I do not do any track days or 1/4 mile runs of any sort. 

So something that will last a while, be grippy on the on ramps and do alright in the rain is what I am looking for.

[right][snapback]261705[/snapback][/right]

fyi what you are looking is pretty much impossible (grip, last long, good in rain). you have to compromise on one or more, or accept you will get average performance in all.

also, no offense meant... but since you do like 100% commuting i doubt you push the vehicle enough to notice much difference in tires.. like i said.. pick up whatever is cheapest with the highest treadwear rating

and, if you are fine with what you have now, by all means, keep using it.. (if it ain't broke....) i only change tires if there is something about my current set that i want to change (example.. kumho 712 have no grip.. try azenis sport RT215... i have to go 50mph or less in the rain... try kumho MX.. they don't have as much grip as azenis.. go back to azenis sport RT615)

JC, no the closest size for RT615 for a focus is 205/50/15. it isn't that different from the stock size.. i get them from http://www.vulcantire.com great site.. fast shipping.. i bought RT215 from them 3 yr ago and now i went back to them to get RT615.

you might get hosed by duty though.. try to get them from a local person?

Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - torradan - 04-11-2008

naz,Apr 10 2008, 07:25 PM Wrote:you might get hosed by duty though.. try to get them from a local person?

1) Have them delilvered to a UPS store in the states.
2) Drive to the States.
3) Get tires swapped somewhere in Niagara Falls (I can provide addresses/phone numbers of places)
4) Go to the outlet mall and buy something frilly.
5) Drive back to Canada.
6) Claim your frilly item at customs.
7) Profit!

By the by, steer clear of the ASTs. They don't last long AT ALL. Mine have 15k miles on them (regular driving and one autocross event) and I figure I have about a month or so left on the tread. The stock P6s lasted me 2 years and about 10 autocrosses before they had to be replaced.

Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - Focus man. Focus. - 06-17-2008

naz,Apr 10 2008, 01:45 PM Wrote:you need to give us more input on how you are planning to use the tires so we can help you find a 'best' for your needs.

if you define best as "lots of grip for a low price" it is very hard to beat Falken azenis RT615.  in the size you are looking for they are $72/each

on the other hand if best is "lasts a long time for a low price"  the kumho AST are $48/each with a 400 treadwear rating

personally, i like the RT615 a lot you will not be disappointed with the grip.  if you are ok with getting new tires every 20k miles you should think about getting these tires
[right][snapback]261704[/snapback][/right]

Raised from the dead.

Naz where did you get that price on the Kumho's? $48 a tire? I was quoted $100 at OK Tire. They also wanted to sell me some thing called "Linglong UHP" @ $89 ea. ????????

I need tires ASAP. I almost killed myself in the rain yesterday. Plus going to Algonquin this weekend I don't want to go any long distances on the tires I currently have.

Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - ZTWsquared - 06-17-2008

Focus man, Focus.,Jun 16 2008, 11:45 AM Wrote:Raised from the dead.

Naz where did you get that price on the Kumho's?  $48 a tire?  I was quoted $100 at OK Tire.  They also wanted to sell me some thing called "Linglong UHP" @ $89 ea.  ????????

I need tires ASAP.  I almost killed myself in the rain yesterday.  Plus going to Algonquin this weekend I don't want to go any long distances on the tires I currently have.
[right][snapback]266938[/snapback][/right]
Kevin ... did you ever check these guys out (just around the corner from Dixie / Aimco) ... they were the best price by a long shot on my Falken 912s and they carry Kumho too.

Example: via email they quoted me $480 for 4 215-45-17 Falken 912s all in ... taxes, installation, balance etc etc ... but here's the thing - when I paid (they don't take credit cards) they only charged me 450!

Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - naz - 06-17-2008

Focus man, Focus.,Jun 16 2008, 03:45 PM Wrote:Naz where did you get that price on the Kumho's?  $48 a tire?  I was quoted $100 at OK Tire.  They also wanted to sell me some thing called "Linglong UHP" @ $89 ea.  ????????
[right][snapback]266938[/snapback][/right]

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?ma...model=Ecsta+AST

tirerack.. but i posted that price when there was a special on kumho (buy 4 get $4 off kind of thing) seems like the price is $59 each now

just get the cheapest tire you can get your hands on locally dude... if it is purely a long distance commuting tire toss on whatever is cheapest

Yeah, I have been on a mission all day trying to find the best price. Its amazing how mush variance there is from store to store. I will post my final decision and pricing once I figure it all out. :blink:

Focus man, Focus.,Jun 16 2008, 06:31 PM Wrote:Yeah, I have been on a mission all day trying to find the best price.  Its amazing how mush variance there is from store to store.  I will post my final decision and pricing once I figure it all out.  :blink:
[right][snapback]266972[/snapback][/right]

Motomaster AW

From $31.46

Product #02-1413-8

done!

naz,Jun 16 2008, 03:05 PM Wrote:
Focus man, Focus.,Jun 16 2008, 06:31 PM Wrote:Yeah, I have been on a mission all day trying to find the best price.  Its amazing how mush variance there is from store to store.  I will post my final decision and pricing once I figure it all out.   :blink:

Motomaster AW

From $31.46

Product #02-1413-8

done!
[right][snapback]266984[/snapback][/right]

:lol: :lame: :rofl: :wtf: :lame: :lol:

Focus man, Focus.,Jun 16 2008, 08:14 PM Wrote:
naz,Jun 16 2008, 03:05 PM Wrote:
Focus man, Focus.,Jun 16 2008, 06:31 PM Wrote:Yeah, I have been on a mission all day trying to find the best price.  Its amazing how mush variance there is from store to store.  I will post my final decision and pricing once I figure it all out.  :blink:

Motomaster AW

From $31.46

Product #02-1413-8

done!
[right][snapback]266984[/snapback][/right]

:lol: :lame: :rofl: :wtf: :lame: :lol:
[right][snapback]266987[/snapback][/right]

i'm not kidding.. you mentioned you are a price conscious user who doesn't do any 1/4 mile or track days, you have a long commute and you value long tread life..

seriously.. that's your tire man... you probably won't even notice a difference between that or any other tire out there the way you use the car.

if i didn't track my bmw you better believe i would install something like that on the car instead of paying ~$288/tire for all out grip

Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - Raypro - 06-17-2008

focusonthis_88,Apr 10 2008, 04:39 PM Wrote:check out maxxis tires...There getting alot of attention and they not that expensive.
[right][snapback]261723[/snapback][/right]

I 2nd the Maxxis tires. I just bought a set of the MA-Z1 Victra and I love them. very quiet tires. I got the 205-45-17's

[Image: z_0.jpg]

Raypro,Jun 16 2008, 08:42 PM Wrote:
focusonthis_88,Apr 10 2008, 04:39 PM Wrote:check out maxxis tires...There getting alot of attention and they not that expensive.
[right][snapback]261723[/snapback][/right]

I 2nd the Maxxis tires. I just bought a set of the MA-Z1 Victra and I love them. very quiet tires. I got the 205-45-17's

[right][snapback]267008[/snapback][/right]

Where can I find a dealer for these tires?

Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - Raypro - 06-17-2008

Just call around your local custom car shops, that's where I got mine.

Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - Focus man. Focus. - 06-18-2008

Well I have ordered a pair of MISC Japanese tires for the time being. $89 installed and balanced. Should get me by for the time being.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Best Tires (pic's On Page 2) - naz - 06-18-2008

Focus man, Focus.,Jun 17 2008, 02:38 PM Wrote:Well I have ordered a pair of MISC Japanese tires for the time being.  $89 installed and balanced.  Should get me by for the time being.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.
[right][snapback]267056[/snapback][/right]

let us know the brand and specs if you have a good experience.