FocusCanada Forums
Block Heater - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Basics (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Block Heater (/showthread.php?tid=3992)

Block Heater - Canadian ST - 01-21-2008

Hay I have a quick question regarding the use of the block heater.
Should I use the block heater or is a waste of time? I was told two different things by two different mechanics.
The first one said there is know sense using it unless it goes below -35
the second ones said I might as well use it since it has it.

Your thoughts :blink:

Block Heater - Mason - 01-21-2008

Canadian ST,Jan 21 2008, 09:18 AM Wrote:Hay I have a quick question regarding the use of the block heater.
Should I use the block heater or is a waste of time? I was told two different things by two different mechanics.
The first one said there is know sense using it unless it goes below -35
the second ones said I might as well use it since it has it.

Your thoughts :blink:
[right][snapback]256475[/snapback][/right]

The way I look at it Why would you let the car get dead cold when you dont have to. Starting a car when the engine and its oil is set cold is harder then starting it with a warm engine and not cold set oil.

But yes on the other hand u really dont need it unless it goes below around -30. At least thats when they reccomend you use it.

I use it if it goes past -10. It just helps it start better when its not frozen. Plus you get heat faster. I say if its there use it.

Block Heater - oldeguy - 01-22-2008

Go ahead, use it. If, as Mason says, it'll warm up the car faster. However, you can use synthetic oil and that won't thicken in the cold, so you won't have to worry about starting the car. I've used synthetic for a while and never had any problems in the cold (other than not having heated seats) :lol: Maybe our experts in the Prairies will give us the lowdown on COLD WEATHER starting. We don't get really cold here in Southern Ontario.

Block Heater - SVTZX503 - 01-22-2008

As a Prairie resident, I use mine as soon as it's below -10. I also use synthetic oil. It just starts better and I don't have to wait for it to warm no more 10 minutes if it has been really cold..... like it has been here lately.

Block Heater - j3rt - 01-22-2008

I always did, I can't see the harm in keeping the oil warm. I used to plug it in over nite, ideally you put the extension cord on a timer so it kicks on 2hrs before you need it. Otherwise it cycles on and off overnite, no issues if it does.

Block Heater - ashhabib - 01-22-2008

Normally I do, but I haven't since last year. I have Q Full Synthetic in right now, and its started every day unplugged, even in the -40 we've been hitting as of late

Block Heater - ZX3_2NV - 01-23-2008

my turbo focus wouldn't start in the cold without it and i usally hook my daily driver up over night and it warms up nicely in the moring so i don't freeze because i hate driving with a jacket

so do it whats the worse thing that can happen

Block Heater - NikiterZTS - 01-23-2008

i plug mine as well.....+ running synthetic Royal Purple

Block Heater - faster_than_u - 02-01-2008

its there use it. it doesnt hurt

Block Heater - oldeguy - 02-01-2008

faster_than_u,Jan 31 2008, 08:29 PM Wrote:its there use it. it doesnt hurt
[right][snapback]257212[/snapback][/right]
That's what I tell my wife :D

Block Heater - SmokeBCBuDZ - 02-01-2008

I don't drive my focus in the winter. So I took the f**ker right out!

Block Heater - faster_than_u - 02-01-2008

oldeguy,Jan 31 2008, 10:04 PM Wrote:
faster_than_u,Jan 31 2008, 08:29 PM Wrote:its there use it. it doesnt hurt
[right][snapback]257212[/snapback][/right]
That's what I tell my wife :D
[right][snapback]257221[/snapback][/right]

i also tell my gf that. but its like the battery dies when plugged in and will not start. but if you unplug it let it get cold it will fire right up(without charging the bat) its a 93 mazda by the way.

Block Heater - Flofocus - 02-04-2008

ZX3_2NV,Jan 22 2008, 01:16 PM Wrote:my turbo focus wouldn't start in the cold without it and i usally hook my daily driver up over night and it warms up nicely in the moring so i don't freeze because i hate driving with a jacket

so do it whats the worse thing that can happen
[right][snapback]256541[/snapback][/right]

My turbo focus has been siting since October, I went and started it right before I came to calgary. Slapped the battery in, started on 1st shot. B)

No block heater used.