FocusCanada Forums
Possible Awd Donor - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focus on Performance (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Possible Awd Donor (/showthread.php?tid=447)

Pages: 1 2

Possible Awd Donor - logoris - 01-15-2010

i found this subaru forester http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-c...QAdIdZ175606548 i was wondering would its drive train be suitable for an awd conversion this is for future planning

and does anyone know the work that it would take to fit on the focus, i know that a shorter driveshaft to the rear would most likely be needed. i would probably leave the subaru engine in it and how do i get the focus bolt pattern to fit on the subaru axles

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-S...QAdIdZ173103776 could also use the explorer and get shorter drive shaft you get a v8 awd focus

and sorry for these questions im more of a driver then a mechanic but i want to put the time into the research before i blow all my money on somthing that doesnt work

or shourld i do a body swap and just shorten the frame.

Possible Awd Donor - Oscar The Grouch - 01-15-2010

I've heard that the following might work on the focus:

Ford Mondeo drivetrain AWD
Ford Escape drivetrain AWD

The only other options are the WRC RS setup. That's SUPER expensive due to you'll have to buy the parts separate and have plenty of tylenol handy.

Possible Awd Donor - castone - 01-15-2010

A 2005+ Volvo S40 or V50 might work?

so you guys dont think that it would be possible to make shift it to work, and so just a body swap and frame shortening wouldnt work

i know that the bolt holes wouldnt line up, isnt there some way this could work on the cheap?

Possible Awd Donor - SL8RZZX3 - 01-15-2010

Oscar already told you the 2 cheapest ways to get this to happen on the "cheap"

Escape or Mondeo both had a trans that will bolt upto a zetec

You should post up pics of your ride so we can all see how your project started off

when i get it i will post pics, but rite now im pricing stuff before i go and buy it

Possible Awd Donor - Scorcher000 - 01-15-2010

Only way it to put the suby drivetrain in and to everythign custom. Get hub adapters and roll the hell outta the fenders.
It can be done but you will have a pain in the ass figuring everything out.
Fuel Return lines, space of the engine, ecu working with the guages(most likely needing to do custom gauges to fit)

Lots of work but it will pay off only if its a show car or a race car. Good luck.

Scorcher000,Jan 14 2010, 09:41 PM Wrote:Only way it to put the suby drivetrain in and to everythign custom. Get hub adapters and roll the hell outta the fenders.
It can be done but you will have a pain in the ass figuring everything out.
Fuel Return lines, space of the engine, ecu working with the guages(most likely needing to do custom gauges to fit)

Lots of work but it will pay off only if its a show car or a race car.  Good luck.
[right][snapback]299613[/snapback][/right]
so true

i will have to see if my friends will help for a case of beer lol, cuz i wanna spend around 6k on he whole thing

Possible Awd Donor - Spinal - 01-15-2010

logoris,Jan 14 2010, 09:59 PM Wrote:cuz i wanna spend around 6k on he whole thing
[right][snapback]299615[/snapback][/right]
lol when you figure out a way to spend that little let me and everyone else know cuz thats just over the cost of a turbo kit.

Possible Awd Donor - ZX3_2NV - 01-16-2010

If you were on here a few months ago you could of bought my motor and turbo kit for that price. I made 336 whp and still had more in it but didn't have the extra cash to build a 2nd tranny. I still have the shortblock and head if your interested.

Possible Awd Donor - Flofocus - 01-16-2010

logoris,Jan 14 2010, 10:59 PM Wrote:cuz i wanna spend around 6k on he whole thing
[right][snapback]299615[/snapback][/right]

v8/awd conversion for 6k?

puff, puff, pass man. :lol:

Possible Awd Donor - Oscar The Grouch - 01-16-2010

realistically, think of 10k minimum for the V8 swap, that's just the kit, tranny, good donor motor, parts, etc.

As for the AWD, from scratch is probably over 20k.

Possible Awd Donor - sonic_mikey - 01-16-2010

if you want a go fast car for under 6K buy a 240sx shell then drop an RB20DET in it. Easy 300 hp stock internls, only thing i would recommend is upgrading the turbo, then doing top mount. Toronto JDM has the best import engines for the price....about $1300 gets you an engine, trans, wiring harness, and ECU with under 50K km. A clean 240 shell can run upwards of 2Gs, but with no body rot.

Possible Awd Donor - logoris - 01-16-2010

Oscar The Grouch,Jan 15 2010, 11:27 AM Wrote:realistically, think of 10k minimum for the V8 swap, that's just the kit, tranny, good donor motor, parts, etc.

[right][snapback]299635[/snapback][/right]

the explorer i posted earlier it has a v8 awd for like 900

Possible Awd Donor - Flofocus - 01-16-2010

logoris,Jan 15 2010, 12:42 PM Wrote:
Oscar The Grouch,Jan 15 2010, 11:27 AM Wrote:realistically, think of 10k minimum for the V8 swap, that's just the kit, tranny, good donor motor, parts, etc.

[right][snapback]299635[/snapback][/right]

the explorer i posted earlier it has a v8 awd for like 900
[right][snapback]299638[/snapback][/right]

you think a v8 is just going to drop in?

Lots and lots of custom work needing to be done to stuff a v8 in your focus. and you want to convert to AWD ontop of that.

Oscar isnt far off with hsi prices, your looking at 20k+ for all of this, may as well just buy a 04 WRX, tune it and be done with it.

Sorry to sound rude, but your in way over your head if you think you will get this done on a 6k budget.

Possible Awd Donor - Jmountney1 - 01-16-2010

im gona say that unless your planing on doing 99% of the work your self its not gona be cheap.

if any thing go full tube chassy with just the shell of a focus. 88ish 4cyl mustang drive train. turbo the stang

strate up race car. custom every thing.

Possible Awd Donor - Oscar The Grouch - 01-16-2010

Here's what I suggest.

1. V8 Conversion using Krugel Components
http://www.kugelkomponents.com/focus/focus.php

2. Turbo 4cyl RWD swap with HT Performance and Krugel Components

http://htperformance.net/index.php?page=sh...uemart&Itemid=1

I'm thinking about doing the RWD turbo, but want to save up more cash first.

Possible Awd Donor - logoris - 01-17-2010

thanks for the info guys, i guess i got some more saving to do

Possible Awd Donor - 02ztsian - 01-17-2010

First, that trans adapter is way overpriced. Quad4rods has it for $475, and even at that price you may be better off adapting an existing bellhousing.
Second, it is good for a RWD but not a AWD setup unless you get a Cossie type 4x4 trans that runs north/south. if you have money to burn there is a company in the UK that breaks Cossies.
http://www.rscosworthbreakers.co.uk/home.html
Third, if you plan on a AWD Zetec the Escape does come in a AWD Zetec manual trans version-probably the easiest to modify to fit the Focus. Remember the rear diff and the front trans diff must have the same final drive ratio!
Next, the Jag X-Type and the Volvo share the same underpinnings as the Mondeo so there are options here as well.
The costs involved don't make it fiscally responsible, but it sure would be cool! Screw what others think about practicality or what they think you should do. Just be realistic about the cost and work involved.
Besides, hot rodding isn't about fiscal responsibility, it's about cool!
My advice: get a sawzall and a welder and start today!

Possible Awd Donor - NikiterZTS - 01-17-2010

take that $6K and multiply it by 5 = finished work