FocusCanada Forums
Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Focus Talk (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin (/showthread.php?tid=4740)

Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin - smith21 - 09-17-2007

well guys, as you kno a few months ago i sold the foci in terms of buying a del sol, which i did....well the itch for a newer car has come as i just came across a wicked deal on another type of car. Now my question for you is what is your opinion on my thinking.

So, the new car i'm looking at is still a import, a real import. It's a 1991 twin turbo mazda rx7 and it's right hand drive. 5 speed obviously and has 136000 km. Now i'd be getting rid of my 1993 Honda del sol si which does have a few mods, which are all asthetic. So give me some insight here guys, what should i do??

Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin - oldeguy - 09-17-2007

Buy it, and a used Focus, for when the RX-7 is not working

Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin - D-Dub - 09-17-2007

if its in good condition and you can find a mechanic and a parts dealer...........buy it.

Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin - NOS2Go4Me - 09-17-2007

Make sure the Mazda dealer in Suds has a competent enough staff to service the FD. Also, seeing as it's RHD, you might have part supply issues and such. This was the main reason that I stayed away from importing a Skyline, my fave JDM car.

Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin - lowblackdub - 09-18-2007

Check into insurance, there are only a handful of insurance companies that will insure RHD cars... They're also a bitch to drive on backroads - very dangerous passing on two lane highways.

Being a 1991 it would be an FC, correct? Also being an FC would mean that it's not the most reliable car out there. Personally I would stick with the del Sol unless you can afford to have a "weekend" car. I would never depend on an RX7 as a daily driver.

Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin - naz - 09-18-2007

personally i would not buy the car to use as a daily driver, i think it could be too unreliable and expensive to keep running.. if you have the cash flow for it, it would be a fun track/project/toy car .. (ie the first thing you will probably have to do after buying it is rebuild the motor)

on top of what everyone else has mentioned, everyday things like paying toll or paying to exit a parking garage will become a huge chore in a RHD car.

probably a good idea to take a pass on this one

Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin - Drivesthebeast - 09-19-2007

My dad was looking at getting an RX7 Turbo II several years ago as a toy. We had found a black on black one in Burlington, but the couple just wouldn't budge on the price at all. My dad later found out that they are plagued with engine failure, tranny problems, bad for rust, and go through suspension parts like candy (because it's so stiff, even stock).

Just thought I'd pass that info on...

Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin - 02_svt_guy - 09-19-2007

Bad idea inless you like to rebuild motors

Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin - FocusGuy7476 - 09-20-2007

buy the RX7 and put an LS1 with a 6 speed in it, no worries for making rotary soup then.

Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin - naz - 09-20-2007

swap a b series or k series motor into your del sol instead. it will be infinitely more reliable and probably faster

Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin - Flofocus - 09-20-2007

naz,Sep 20 2007, 03:50 AM Wrote:swap a b series or k series motor into your del sol instead.  it will be infinitely more reliable and probably faster
[right][snapback]249136[/snapback][/right]

faster than an ls1 swap?

Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin - naz - 09-21-2007

Flofocus,Sep 20 2007, 01:57 PM Wrote:
naz,Sep 20 2007, 03:50 AM Wrote:swap a b series or k series motor into your del sol instead.  it will be infinitely more reliable and probably faster

faster than an ls1 swap?
[right][snapback]249149[/snapback][/right]

no, i meant that taking his current car and swapping it is faster and more reliable than purchasing a rx7 turbo ii and trying to work with the rotary motor

Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin - Flofocus - 09-21-2007

naz,Sep 20 2007, 02:16 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Sep 20 2007, 01:57 PM Wrote:

faster than an ls1 swap?
[right][snapback]249149[/snapback][/right]

no, i meant that taking his current car and swapping it is faster and more reliable than purchasing a rx7 turbo ii and trying to work with the rotary motor
[right][snapback]249173[/snapback][/right]
gotcha.

k series swap are crazy $$ though. Id stick with the b series and boost it :D 250whp in that little delsol would be fun :D