FocusCanada Forums
Need More Stopping Power. - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focus on Performance (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Need More Stopping Power. (/showthread.php?tid=4750)

Pages: 1 2

Need More Stopping Power. - Canadian ST - 09-15-2007

Well I've got a quick question about stopping power on my car. I have a 07 ST and I have been driving it with a lot of enthusiasm lately and noticed after awhile there is a lot of brake fade. Would new brake pads alone help? or do I need new rotors to? I was looking at the EBC green stuff pads, when I change the pads should I change the rear pads to or is it a waste?

Need More Stopping Power. - NikiterZTS - 09-15-2007

u should change em yea....but you can reserface the old ones....to make em all even....i think it cost like $15 per rotor

good choice on EBC green stuff

Need More Stopping Power. - konafocuswrc - 09-15-2007

ebc green..i kinda not recommend..
if u r doing street driving with no steep hills, this is a good one..

but where i live before was san francisco, lots of 45 degree angled downhills, total of 4 blocks, i smoked this ebc green and i had to pull ebrake together but car wasn't stopping..

Need More Stopping Power. - habmann - 09-15-2007

I've used the EBC Greenstuff pads, they weren't bad. Right now i've got Hawk HPS pads on my car and they've been pretty good so far.

From everything i've read over the years, i think Hawk pads with brembo blanks is the best set-up you can get without getting into big brake kits.

habmann,Sep 14 2007, 10:57 PM Wrote:I've used the EBC Greenstuff pads, they weren't bad. Right now i've got Hawk HPS pads on my car and they've been pretty good so far.

From everything i've read over the years, i think Hawk pads with brembo blanks is the best set-up you can get without getting into big brake kits.
[right][snapback]248805[/snapback][/right]

What % of braking power is increased by changing the pads? I would like to get about 10-20% better stopping and less brake fade.

Need More Stopping Power. - NefCanuck - 09-15-2007

Running Hawk HPS pads on new stock OE Focus rotors. You want to stop you'll stop so hard that you might have anything loose in your trunk join you in the front passenger compartment ;)

Added bonus is that they're practically dustless compared to the stock Ford pads that kicked up enough dust to mimic a sandstorm <_<

NefCanuck

NefCanuck,Sep 15 2007, 12:48 AM Wrote:Running Hawk HPS pads on new stock OE Focus rotors.  You want to stop you'll stop so hard that you might have anything loose in your trunk join you in the front passenger compartment ;)

Added bonus is that they're practically dustless compared to the stock Ford pads that kicked up enough dust to mimic a sandstorm <_<

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]248810[/snapback][/right]

Cool!! I will keep that in mind. A bell just went off in my head (ding) Will the Hawk pads eat away at my OE rotors? Is that why people get different rotors? Less dust would be great though.

thanks

Need More Stopping Power. - D-Dub - 09-16-2007

Hawk hps and braided ss lines.....your rotors are good dont change them.

Need More Stopping Power. - NefCanuck - 09-16-2007

Canadian ST,Sep 15 2007, 01:01 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Sep 15 2007, 12:48 AM Wrote:Running Hawk HPS pads on new stock OE Focus rotors.  You want to stop you'll stop so hard that you might have anything loose in your trunk join you in the front passenger compartment ;)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]248810[/snapback][/right]

Cool!! I will keep that in mind. A bell just went off in my head (ding) Will the Hawk re would be great though.

thanks
[right][snapback]248812[/snapback][/right]

Nope, the HPS pads are as safe as the OE pads for the OE rotors, no worries there ;)

NefCanuck

Need More Stopping Power. - Flofocus - 09-17-2007

D-Dub,Sep 15 2007, 02: Wrote:Hawk hps and braided ss lines.....your rotors are good dont change them.
[right][snapback]248829[/snapback][/right]

I'd change the rotors anyways, theyre cheap and easy to replace, so why not do everything the 1st time around, heh!

Need More Stopping Power. - ZTWsquared - 09-18-2007

Yup ... a big part of "mating" or "bedding" the pads to the rotor is actually transferring some of the pad material to the rotor ... and to do that effectively you absolutely need a clean, smooth surface on the rotor.

I suppose you could turn the rotors but depending on how thin they are after that it may not be worth the money or the effort.

So if you're going to spend 40 or 50 bucks getting old rotors turned, why not just get new ones.

Flofocus,Sep 17 2007, 09:59 AM Wrote:I'd change the rotors anyways, theyre cheap and easy to replace,[right][snapback]248919[/snapback][/right]

Need More Stopping Power. - zx5power - 09-18-2007

anyone know if those ebay drilled slotted rotors for 06 07 will actually be good ? did they change rotors from years ?

Need More Stopping Power. - NikiterZTS - 09-18-2007

looking for Bremo rotors and Hawk pads.....where's a good place ?

Ford recently changed the rotors for the 05-07 models ... new number and everything ... but the change is "back dated" so that the new number still applies to all years.

I was told at the Ford dealer that the new rotors have a different spec material.

I can tell you from my own personal experience that the "new" stock Ford rotors and EBC greenstuff pads make an awesome combination for both street and track.

On the street the pedal effort is a bit higher than with the stock pads, but nicely progressive and with an overall higher stopping power (the stock '07 brakes aren't bad to begin with) ... and on the track - Mosport for example (yup - ran with the BMWs) stopping from 180 and 190 kph was a joy ... and although Mosport isn't particularly hard on brakes, I experienced absolutely no fade in 30 minute sessions - and don't forget - my car is 400 lbs heavier than a hatch.

zx5power,Sep 17 2007, 10:27 AM Wrote:did they change rotors from years ?
[right][snapback]248921[/snapback][/right]

p.s. what should be a good price for Brembo blanks and Hawk pads?

is this and ok deal?
ebays Item number: 220043469834

Need More Stopping Power. - thenorm - 09-18-2007

zx5power,Sep 17 2007, 06:27 AM Wrote:anyone know if those ebay drilled slotted rotors for 06 07 will actually be good ? did they change rotors from years ?
[right][snapback]248921[/snapback][/right]

dont bother with drilled or slotted rotors. In many cases they are worse than blanks, and they most likely will crack before long. AS many people have said, Brembo blanks are the way to go, and i also reccomend halk HPS.

Before you do go for new rotors, consider resurfacing your old ones, it might save you a bit of $ and have no negative performance effects.

These aren't blanks - but anyway by the time you get them landed you're looking at $360 CAD which seems like a lot to me. FWIW I was told that Brembo blanks are the equivalent of topline OE rotors, which in many cases are in fact from Brembo.

I paid $85 each for topline Ford rotors (okay, I get a discount) and in Canada I paid about $70 for my EBC Greenstuff pads ... total investment incl. taxes was 276.

NikiterZTS,Sep 17 2007, 12:35 PM Wrote:p.s. what should be a good price for Brembo blanks and Hawk pads?

is this and ok deal?
[right][snapback]248928[/snapback][/right]

yea i'd prefer something local though.....shipping ,tax and all that are gonna add up and yea...

but here's another one just for blanks
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?...lar=&perfCode=P

Need More Stopping Power. - NefCanuck - 09-18-2007

ZTWsquared,Sep 17 2007, 01:57 PM Wrote:These aren't blanks - but anyway by the time you get them landed you're looking at $360 CAD which seems like a lot to me. FWIW I was told that Brembo blanks are the equivalent of topline OE rotors, which in many cases are in fact from Brembo.

I paid $85 each for topline Ford rotors (okay, I get a discount) and in Canada I paid about $70 for my EBC Greenstuff pads ... total investment incl. taxes was 276.

NikiterZTS,Sep 17 2007, 12:35 PM Wrote:p.s. what should be a good price for Brembo blanks and Hawk pads?

is this and ok deal?
[right][snapback]248928[/snapback][/right]
[right][snapback]248936[/snapback][/right]

ZTW,

This comment just leaves me curious, did you ever manage to find out whether there was in fact any functional difference between the OE Ford rotors or the Motorcraft ones?

Not that I would trade my Ford OE rotors & Hawk HPS pads for anything else, just curiosity ;)

NefCanuck

Need More Stopping Power. - D-Dub - 09-18-2007

I think he meant should he get a different brand...........and I said the stock ones should be fine.