FocusCanada Forums
Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focus on Performance (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport (/showthread.php?tid=5069)

Pages: 1 2

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - NOS2Go4Me - 07-31-2007

So the turbo won't be till next spring at this rate... it WAS technically feasible, but I've opted to enjoy driving the car for the rest of the summer/fall in a slightly less-modified state and then buy up the stuff over the winter.

In the meantime I've decided to waste money in a spectacular fashion. Mostly it's because I'm bored and slightly because I might stay N.A. for my mods (add Cosworth cams and header, add a new flex).

Either way, if the stuff shows this week I'll have the following done for the BBQ:

FS CAI (didn't feel like getting the Cosworth after all, plus the blue in a red engine bay reminds me of kindergarten for some reason).

SCT XCalibrator2 - 91 octane tune, 7200RPM fuel cutoff, adjusted WOT shift firmness and shift points, aggressive fuel/spark retune. I'll have it in-hand but not likely reflashed as I just filled with 87 <_<

20% front / 5% rear tint.

I figure when I combine that with the updated 2.5" flex-back MBRP exhaust I should be fairly near 130WHP.

Comments?

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - NefCanuck - 07-31-2007

Sounds like a good list, but methinks yer dreaming if you think you'll be at 130WHP NOS ;) I'd say maybe 125WHP, unless your motor stock was even more of a factory freak than mine was :P

NefCanuck

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - zx5power - 07-31-2007

good luck , on your attempts me hopy , to have turbo by this time next year.

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - NikiterZTS - 07-31-2007

me thinky 120whp

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - Frost__2001 - 07-31-2007

Sounds like a good list so far Nos, although... the tint seems a little dark, but it's your taste.

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - dBlast - 07-31-2007

Frost__2001,Jul 30 2007, 07:48 PM Wrote:Sounds like a good list so far Nos, although... the tint seems a little dark, but it's your taste.
[right][snapback]245197[/snapback][/right]

Agreed...

If you like dark, I heard of a spray that you can use on your tail lamps and corner markers that can make them turn a dark (like 'night') shade to match your tint.

:ph34r: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NikiterZTS,Jul 30 2007, 08:09 PM Wrote:me thinky 120whp
[right][snapback]245187[/snapback][/right]

I'll respectfully disagree ;)

We're well over 100WHP stock and given the new exhaust will be a flex-back 2.5" that deletes the secondary cat... what can I say, I have high hopes. I'll just have to save some cash for a pull or two at Da Silva. :)

Daniel - what did you run with the SRI and a MBRP again? Or did you have the flash in already?
'
Vince - that's just mean :o :P

I may go 35/5 yet... I just want "different" than the last car.

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - NefCanuck - 07-31-2007

I ran 115 with the MBRP & Steeda SRI. With the flash I'm probably pushing just north of 120WHP, which is why I'm not confident that you're at or above 130WHP because I'm unsure that a CAI is *that* much different than a SRI, assuming everything else is equal...

NefCanuck

Right on... I'm optimistic :)

All the gains I've seen with CAIs for the Duratec 2.0 are 8-10WHP and the SRIs claim 5-7WHP for the 2.3L.

What I think will put me over the top is the 2.5" flex-back. I was indifferent to the gains offered by the move to a 2.5" system from a 2.25" until I read more than a few Duratecs put down 3-4 WHP more by moving to the larger system.

I figure the bottom line is 125WHP, 130 is what I'm hoping for and anything else is gravy!

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - NikiterZTS - 07-31-2007

well i can actually see 125whp....since the car is like brand new, the engine should be strong

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - NOS2Go4Me - 08-05-2007

FocusSport bitchfest ahead! Hide all flammable materials! :angry:

So I've been working on the car (with Sara's help and then Oscar showed later), getting the intake installed.

First off, for all Duratec owners - REMOVE THE DAMN SPLASH SHIELD. :angry:

Second - the stock intake is a f***ing nightmare. There's a huge snorkel all the way up the driver's fender (but hidden from sight for the most part) that isn't noted in the instructions and removing it is a bitch. Also, the bolts listed vs the bolts that are actually there are different (4 listed vs. 3 actual).

Third - the 07 at least has a kinked MAF housing tube made of hard PVC. This tube is retained during the CAI install. The install photos show a perfectly straight MAF tube. :angry: One would assume they've installed the kit on at LEAST one 07 or that they had heard about this from other customers that had the same tube. The only other far-fetched possibility is that our MAF tube is Canadian-specific.

Fourth - the bolt hole in the lower rad support member that is supposed to take a mounted-bolt on the lower intake tube is too small for the bolt supplied. The bolt supplied also has a rubber/urethane spacer that is supposed to dampen vibrations (I guess) and you need to maintain that spacing for it all to go together properly. So, you need a tap/die kit to thread the hole for the bolt or you need to drill it out. Either way, it's a bitch.

So, I'm really very disappointed that the third and fourth points even exist. If we can't get the bottom mount to work properly, we're going to adapt the stock MAF bracket that they initially tell you that you won't need. :rolleyes:

/end rant.

We'll try the tapping the hole thing when Oscar gets back with the kit.

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - NOS2Go4Me - 08-05-2007

We got it installed after reaming it really good (rad support). I got to thinking while Oscar was gone and realized that tapping that hole was useless... so many dirty comments to make eh guys? :P

It's now landing me in the "please push my car onto the lot" lineup for sure... it has a LOT more snap at 70+ in 2nd... pulling past 100 is quite the treat and quick too.

I had to soft-pedal it back from downtown tonight, the constabulary was out in full force and one dogged me right to the one Timmies on the way home... I expected him to follow me in and lecture me but he kept going. I drove straight home afterwards :D

I'm reflashing in the morning, I already filled with 91 tonight.

If that's how much fun it is on 87 Octane, I can't wait for the retune to take advantage of 91. :D

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - NOS2Go4Me - 08-06-2007

Got the car flashed... everything is SICK now. Damn. :D :lol:

Yesterday, before the flash/fill with 91... 1st gear was a bit "peaky" still, where it would have definite areas in the powerband that were more prominent than others. Now, 1st gear's a freaking playground :D 2nd pulls hard, all the way to the (new) redline nicely. I haven't even really explored 3rd yet.

I'm so, so, so addicted. Thanks again to Ian for the stellar wheels and tires - I'm sure I'm enjoying these mods that much more thanks to the SVT rims!

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - zx5power - 08-06-2007

glad it makes such a big difference makes me want it more haha ,, might need to turbo mine this spring to .

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - NefCanuck - 08-06-2007

Sorry to see you had problems with the install of the CAI.

Don't forget, the '07 does a few minor things differently in the engine bay, even compared to the '05's. Unless FS was aware of these before producing the CAI kit, I'm not surprised you ran into these glitches.

Yeah, my car is a completely different beast now. My plan had been to finish the mods, toss the keys to my dad and tell him to take it for a test drive now.

He would have found out what I felt like every time I rode a golf cart with him driving it :P

NefCanuck

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - Gravter - 08-06-2007

So... when r u gonna go for a dyno run :)
I'm thinking of going in Ottawa for a baseline before I start modding it and then go back and see the progress.

Enjoy your new found ponies :)

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - NOS2Go4Me - 08-07-2007

I'm not really sure when or where I'll get a dyno run in. If you find a place in Ottawa, Gravter, let me know and I'll see about having us come down for a couple of passes :)

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - Gravter - 08-07-2007

NOS2Go4Me,Aug 6 2007, 10:00 AM Wrote:If you find a place in Ottawa, Gravter, let me know and I'll see about having us come down for a couple of passes :)
[right][snapback]245836[/snapback][/right]

I was thinking of going at TAPP Auto.
They seem to be the only ones in Ottawa.
They have a Mustang dyno. I've called a few weeks ago to see how many people they need for a Saturday dyno day and was told minimum 10.

I'm not planning on getting tuning done, but simply a few dyno runs.
I asked if they had done some Focus tuning before and the anwser was no.

They only time I will be able to go is sometime in early September.

http://www.tappauto.com/

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - NOS2Go4Me - 08-07-2007

Put me down as "possibly", simply because I need to block off a weekend for server maintenance at work in September and I'm really not sure which weekend that will be yet.

Just Ordered New Toys Today From Focussport - Gravter - 08-08-2007

I just remembered I have Friday the 31st of August off.
I might start another thread to try and plan a dyno Friday day :)
Friday may be better for some as to be able to get 10 people on a Saturday may prove to be hard.
Look for a new thread soon.