FocusCanada Forums
Suspension Queries - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focus on Performance (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Suspension Queries (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Suspension Queries - StreetEdition - 04-19-2010

Hi All

Forgive me for the newb questions...

First, I have a 06 ZX5 SES

So, I recently got a great deal on Eibach Sportlines. I'm quite stoked.

I understand that I should be replacing the stock shocks/struts (aka dampers?)

My car is only a DD. I mainly drive to and from work. Do I *need* super duper replacements? What are my options?

Suspension Queries - ZTWsquared - 04-19-2010

StreetEdition,Apr 19 2010, 02:19 AM Wrote:Hi All

Forgive me for the newb questions...

First, I have a 06 ZX5 SES

So, I recently got a great deal on Eibach Sportlines. I'm quite stoked.

I understand that I should be replacing the stock shocks/struts (aka dampers?)

My car is only a DD. I mainly drive to and from work. Do I *need* super duper replacements? What are my options?
[right][snapback]305399[/snapback][/right]
The "problem" with sportlines is that your suspension will be bottoming out on a regular basis - especially if you're in the GTA - you and your struts will take something of a beating.

Your stock struts won't last very long and then you will be faced with another suspension job - better IMO to replace the struts with suitable replacements at the same time you put in the springs.

Eibach obviously makes a strut for that application, and based on what I've read, the only strut that Ford makes that can take that kind of a beating is the ones made by Multimatic - called the Dynamic Suspension struts - and they aren't cheap.

I lowered my ZX5 just in January with the FRPP DYnamic springs and I put in a set of SVT struts that I had lying around (yes, I have whole suspensions lying around LOL) and one of them is borked already - just not enough travel.

So, because this is a track car and some of the older tracks like Mosport and Watkins Glen can be bumpy in places, I am replacing the springs with a set of SVT - raising the car by a good inch probably - and a fresh set of SVT struts.

Suspension Queries - castone - 04-19-2010

^^^What he said! ;)

I had the Sportline's and Eibach dampers, but the dampers only lasted about 5000 km's. :angry:

I'm now running KYB AGX's with no issues yet :D

Suspension Queries - Jmountney1 - 04-19-2010

how did ur guys struts only last that long.

on my zx3 with ebay coil over things all the way down(wayyy lower than sport lines) i never blew my struts in the 60000km i put on them?

obviously it is a better idea to put the struts that were ment for the sport lines but if hes talking 1.5 drop i think he will be just fine.

Suspension Queries - GFXjamie - 04-19-2010

well i had a prokit with stockers and the stock dampners lasted me a year from brand new before they blew.

upgrade, i went with kyb's AGX, GR2 will do aswell, just not as good...

Suspension Queries - Oscar The Grouch - 04-20-2010

Prokits on for 2 years, shocks went downhill.

Went to a full retrofit with Eibach Swaybars, Tokico D-Spec Adjustable shocks, tubular control arms, etc. Basically there's no stock suspension items left except for the front toe arms.

Suspension Queries - StreetEdition - 04-20-2010

thanks for info guys, much appreciated ...

The sportlines apparently give at minimum a 2" drop, so I really dont want to take a chance and have to replace the OEM/stock parts a few weeks/months later.

I am not planning on doing auto-x or any race stuff.. My car is just a DD

gfxjamie >> what could i expect if I decided to go with the kyb gr2?

Suspension Queries - Gabriel - 04-20-2010

It's best to install springs and dampers that are made for each other . I know it sounds 'romantic ' :D , but I found out that my original SVT struts went in the first 3-4 months after installing lowering springs . Just like Ken said , not enough travel .