FocusCanada Forums
Decision Time! - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Decision Time! (/showthread.php?tid=6011)

Pages: 1 2

Decision Time! - darkpuppet - 04-13-2007

So... there's a slight possibility of getting on a 4 month contract in Montreal...

Do I go for it?

Personally, it goes against everything I've been preparing myself for this summer. It screws up all of my volleyball leagues for the summer, mountainbiking and travelling is NEVER good for the fitness program.

Coupled with the fact that I'd only see my car and appartment on weekends, I really would rather not going.

However, it's a leadership position, and a great opportunity career-wise for me, and I've never been to Montreal - so there's the novelty.

So what do you pick? work-life balance, or career advancement?

Decision Time! - 2001 ZTS - 04-13-2007

GO

Period.

Anything new and different is ALWAYS good.

Decision Time! - dlb - 04-13-2007

Its only 4 months ?? - how about 6 months in Afghanistan sleeping in a tent ...... LOL !! Then again I had no choice ........ Life's an adventure man - seize the moment !!

Decision Time! - ANTHONYD - 04-13-2007

GO!

I'm with 2001ZTS on this one.

Decision Time! - ZX5focused - 04-13-2007

doooo it!!!!

im sure there are lots of single women in montreal too!!!

Decision Time! - NefCanuck - 04-13-2007

I'd say do it, but with the proviso that your French language skills be at least adequate to really get something out of the experience as opposed to sitting in a room coding all day.

Montreal is meant to be explored IMO...

NefCanuck

Decision Time! - oldeguy - 04-13-2007

Go. Montreal is a great city, and Quebec is a beautiful province. just be careful at Stop signs

NefCanuck,Apr 12 2007, 01:35 PM Wrote:I'd say do it, but with the proviso that your French language skills be at least adequate to really get something out of the experience as opposed to sitting in a room coding all day.

Montreal is meant to be explored IMO...

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]234422[/snapback][/right]

je veux le salle de bain... I think I can manage... :ph34r:

I put my name in.. will see what happens.. there's a couple of contracts coming up.. mississauga (I'd rather go to Montreal), toronto, or montreal... I'm a shoe-in for the other two, but because they're not starting yet, their threatening the customer that they're gonna mail me off for 4 months first...

And while there would be coding involved, I would be lead, so I would be able to delegate out while I go out in search of poutine.

We'll see.... I just don't know if I want to give up a great summer I had planned in TO for one in Montreal... tho it'll be hella fun, and I could go visit bluetoy.

Hey, think of Mississauga as a nice consellation prize if Montreal falls through.

Why we have... er... lemme think... um... Kariya Park? :P :lol:

NefCanuck

Decision Time! - torradan - 04-13-2007

Do eeet!

aside from poutine..

you have...
-a beautiful city to explore
-strange women to bring home
-the Unibroue brewery nearby..
-clubs on St Denis
-some nice Irish joints.. (Le Vieux Dublin, Hurley's were my haunts when i was there).
-driving is always a riot.
-l'Auberge de Dragon Rouge ... bigass hamburgers! Unibroue on tap! on lajeunesse (probably butchered that stree name)

Decision Time! - NOS2Go4Me - 04-13-2007

Montreal's a nice city so long as you treat every other driver as though they're straddling a cruise missile. Because they are.

I spent a bit of time there about 10 years ago. Friendly enough, good bar scene... but the highway structure there looks like they made the initial map, threw it in the washing machine, took it out after a spin cycle and ran with it. I still remember cresting one hill on the south shore years ago with my Dad, where the map clearly stated the highway went on... and a few looming concrete barriers dared us to try. Apparently their budget had run out and they just dropped big ass concrete blocks at the closest exit till they figured out what to do!

You don't have a wife to consult, you don't have kidlings or a dog to consider. Given the career advancement, it's a shoe-in. And delegating is always good. :)

darkpuppet,Apr 12 2007, 12:40 PM Wrote:.......... so I would be able to delegate out while I go out in search of poutine.
[right][snapback]234424[/snapback][/right]

Either you spelt that wrong or someone has to sit you down and give you "the talk"

Decision Time! - ANTHONYD - 04-13-2007

poontang?

You HAVE to order it by pronouncing it POO-TEEN. Please.

We'll be waiting with hidden cameras. And laughing. Well, maybe snickering till you do. :lol: :ph34r:

Steve:

Talk to Anthony

NOS:

You've either been married too long or should also talk to Anthony

There's no saying I couldn't get a poutine and some poontang at the same time, is there?

Decision Time! - torradan - 04-13-2007

darkpuppet,Apr 12 2007, 02:44 PM Wrote:There's no saying I couldn't get a poutine and some poontang at the same time, is there?
[right][snapback]234453[/snapback][/right]

Sure, if you met some girl with very bad personal hygeine.

I had to say it

darkpuppet,Apr 12 2007, 02:44 PM Wrote:There's no saying I couldn't get a poutine and some poontang at the same time, is there?

If I find any brothel restaurants I'll let you know.

"I'll have the Dirty Dozen with a poutine and a draft, please."

NOS2Go4Me,Apr 12 2007, 01:52 PM Wrote:

If I find any brothel restaurants I'll let you know.

"I'll have the Dirty Dozen with a poutine and a draft, please."
[right][snapback]234455[/snapback][/right]

:blinks: "The Dirty DOZEN?"

Talk about your big time operator :lol:

NefCanuck

Decision Time! - meford4u - 04-13-2007

Steve. First reaction. Go.

Second reaction. Go. I love Montreal. And I would come visit.

If it takes you up the corporate ladder, you make more $$$ and they pay your way, hell, you'll have a better summer in Montreal. Trust me.

Your going to find a wife there.