FocusCanada Forums
Would This Work? - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Focus Talk (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Would This Work? (/showthread.php?tid=6336)

Would This Work? - oldeguy - 03-16-2007

On my drive into work, at 5:30 a.m. while listening to the Q and trying not to yell at the slow pokes ahead of me, I began to think about this. If I put in a new air intake, like the K&N Typhoon, and found someone to make a hood scoop, ( if price and labour wasn't an issue ), would this be as good as or better than buying a CAI. I'm thinking that it might be a way to avoid the possibilty of water getting into the engine.

Would This Work? - hardk0re - 03-16-2007

I myself don't like CAI's. They are prone to breaking, the filters get dirty too fast. Especially in this rainy/muddy season.

You'll get allot of benefits just from a short ram intake, if you can make add a hood scoop that allowed cool air to get to the filter and ensure water didn't I think it would be real good.

Would This Work? - torradan - 03-16-2007

May want to look into a Volant intake w/ the ram-air scoop. There is one for sale over on FF or FJ for like $175.

Would This Work? - Focus man. Focus. - 03-18-2007

I have the K&N Typhoon and I couldn't be happier with it. It sounds great and I don't have to worry about water. I would go for it. Mine Has been on well over a year and it works fine in all weather conditions. I will look for some pic's for you.

Would This Work? - ex1z7 - 03-18-2007

The power increase you'll see from cutting a hole in your hood is maybe half a horse, rock a short ram and keep it away from water..

I was thinking for the past few days about going and getting a CAI, till last night I got stuck in a puddle for 20 minutes.. Would've destroyed my engine if I had a CAI mounted low.

Another thing is, with a hood scoop .. You'll be looking at a lot of crap getting into your engine bay, dust water leaves bugs.. Not worth it, and IMO, they don't usually look that good..

Would This Work? - ZED_not_zee - 03-19-2007

WOW all of you are so paranoid about hydro locking your motors... why not by a bypass valve?

lol on a side not I blew up a zetec with an AEM CAI.. lol water literally poured from the vacume lines hahahahahaha... but i got lucky and found a motor for like $500... and poped it in without much hassel.. and considering when i bout the CAI it was like$700 (they had been availble for a week tops) puting in a new motor was actually cheaper....