FocusCanada Forums
50 Over Stunting Advocate Kills Cyclist - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Canadian Focus Community (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: 50 Over Stunting Advocate Kills Cyclist (/showthread.php?tid=961)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

50 Over Stunting Advocate Kills Cyclist - NikiterZTS - 09-02-2009

Michael Bryant douche that introduced all the street racing, stunting and 50 over laws (in addition to loads of other lame laws) killed a cyclist in a hit an run.

Tue Sep. 01 2009 8:30:20 AM

Police questioning former Ontario attorney general in fatal hit-and-run
The Canadian Press

Michael Bryant looks out the window from the back seat of a police cruiser late Monday night.

The victim's bicycle stands propped up against a post behind police tape. A 32-year-old Toronto resident was killed in a hit-and-run Monday night.

TORONTO — A former Ontario cabinet minister was reportedly being questioned Tuesday in connection with a fatal accident on Monday night in downtown Toronto.

Reports say former Attorney General Michael Bryant was allegedly in a car involved in the accident in which a cyclist died of severe head injuries.

Toronto police Sgt. Tim Burrows said charges are expected to be laid, but the identity of the person in custody will not be released until then.

"We are anticipating that charges will be laid against him this morning, but at this point, the police are not willing to confirm the male's identity as he has not yet been formally charged with anything."

Reports indicated a cyclist died after hanging onto a car following an altercation with a driver in the city's Yorkville district just before 10 p.m.

Witnesses told police the cyclist hung onto the driver's side but eventually fell off and suffered severe head injuries.

Burrows confirmed some witnesses also said the driver appeared to try to remove the cyclist by brushing up against trees and poles.

"There's very limited evidence that he was trying to brush him off against objects. But I'm sure to the lay person that was watching, it may have certainly appeared that way -- but we're not committing to that at this time," he said.

A suspect car was later found by police as it was pulling into a nearby hotel but Burrows disputed reports the driver -- who was accompanied by a female passenger -- tried to flee the scene.

"What the driver did was just basically end up driving up and around the block to get away from the scene itself. We've heard different stories -- we are in the process of interviewing people to determine exactly what happened."

Burrows would not speculate on what charges the driver might face.

"Detectives both from the homicide squad and from Traffic Services are meeting and discussing the situation -- and they'll determine those (charges) as the investigation unfolds."

The accident occurred on busy Bloor St. between Bay St. and Avenue Rd.

"We know by video surveillance from the area that there were lots of witnesses who actually did see this, by the way they turned and looked at the roadway," said Burrows.

"We need those people to give us a call."

Burrows said the driver was cooperating with police and had asked to speak to legal counsel.

Bryant, who was Ontario's Attorney General, Aboriginal Affairs Minister and Minister of Economic Development, left provincial politics earlier this year to accept a position with Invest Toronto.

50 Over Stunting Advocate Kills Cyclist - mo_focus - 09-02-2009

It was not a hit and run! it was more like a hit and drag!!!! :)

he is a lawyer, i bet he will weazel his way out somehow

50 Over Stunting Advocate Kills Cyclist - oldeguy - 09-02-2009

Allegedly killed a cyclist, please be careful, your innocent until proven guilty.

50 Over Stunting Advocate Kills Cyclist - Flofocus - 09-02-2009

oldeguy,Sep 1 2009, 12:39 PM Wrote:Allegedly killed a cyclist, please be careful, your innocent until proven guilty.
[right][snapback]293605[/snapback][/right]
were not, so why should he?

Karma is biting him in the ass hard.

Good, hate the f***in douche bag.

UPDATE: Suspect not being charged with hit and run. Apparently he called 911. Everything was caught on CCTV I heard as well.

50 Over Stunting Advocate Kills Cyclist - Focus man. Focus. - 09-02-2009

So driving off is all right if you call 911. Interesting. :blink:

50 Over Stunting Advocate Kills Cyclist - darkpuppet - 09-02-2009

the circumstances are rather odd -- maybe he thought his life was at risk or something.

I'm gonna wait and see how this one plays out.

Just a reminder kids -- if you're on a bike, don't pick a fight with a guy driving a car.

darkpuppet,Sep 1 2009, 03:08 PM Wrote:maybe he thought his life was at risk or something.

[right][snapback]293612[/snapback][/right]

Thats what Im thinking too, the cyclist was on the car and bryant was trying to shake him by smashing him into poles and trees on the sidewalk...

Fawkin convertible drivers. :rolleyes:

Flofocus,Sep 1 2009, 03:16 PM Wrote:Thats what Im thinking too, the cyclist was on the car and bryant was trying to shake him by smashing him into poles and trees on the sidewalk...

Fawkin convertible drivers.  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]293613[/snapback][/right]

don't fawk wit us mang!

NikiterZTS,Sep 1 2009, 02:08 PM Wrote:UPDATE: Suspect not being charged with hit and run. Apparently he called 911. Everything was caught on CCTV I heard as well.
[right][snapback]293610[/snapback][/right]

update: http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc-art...mentid=21442823

He is being charged.

good -- let the courts sort it out.

Too bad stuff like this has to happen -- we need tougher laws against convertible drivers!

Stunt driving 101 - You cannot drive a convertible - you're stunting!

touche!

50 Over Stunting Advocate Kills Cyclist - Oscar The Grouch - 09-02-2009

darkpuppet,Sep 1 2009, 03:30 PM Wrote:good -- let the courts sort it out.

Too bad stuff like this has to happen -- we need tougher laws against convertible drivers!
[right][snapback]293619[/snapback][/right]

:lol:

50 Over Stunting Advocate Kills Cyclist - 2001 ZTS - 09-02-2009

The fellow that was killed was in the back of a police car earlier in the evening for being in a bar fight. He followed the guy in the car for blocks and was holding onto the the driver of the car when he fell.

Those of us downtown know EXACTLY what kind of cyclist this dude appears to have been, I almost took one out the other day, lucky for him I pay attention and know what I am doing. There's tons of other people out there who would have made a hood ornament out the jackass.

50 Over Stunting Advocate Kills Cyclist - Oscar The Grouch - 09-02-2009

2001 ZTS,Sep 1 2009, 06:50 PM Wrote:There's tons of other people out there who would have made a hood ornament out the jackass.
[right][snapback]293627[/snapback][/right]

I think there are a lot of people who would put Michael Bryant in that position as well. :rolleyes:

50 Over Stunting Advocate Kills Cyclist - 2DXTRM - 09-02-2009

Bryant was a guest speaker at my grad convocation at Ryerson back in June. I was hoping someone would drop kick him....

2DXTRM,Sep 1 2009, 11:52 PM Wrote:Bryant was a guest speaker at my grad convocation at Ryerson back in June. I was hoping someone would drop kick him....
[right][snapback]293635[/snapback][/right]

Should have throughn a shoe at him at least :P

50 Over Stunting Advocate Kills Cyclist - Spinal - 09-03-2009

i don't understand why he just wouldn't let go...who hangs on to a moving car?

50 Over Stunting Advocate Kills Cyclist - darkpuppet - 09-03-2009

Spinal,Sep 2 2009, 10:44 AM Wrote:i don't understand why he just wouldn't let go...who hangs on to a moving car?
[right][snapback]293652[/snapback][/right]

well, if the guy just came from a bar fight and had a hold of the driver, chances were he was trying to fight the driver of the car.

in any case, if you get hit by a car, stop, take the plate number right away, and then call the police. Taking matters into your own hands only makes things worse.