Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afr Gauge
hey guys, quick question:

what is the difference between wideband and narrowband AFR gauges?

list all you can think of :)

thanks
~Lorne
THE FOCUS IS GONE! THE LEGEND IS DEAD!

but hey, im still around.....
first thing i can think of...normal AF gauges are pretty lil light shows lol...and now i finally get what everyone was saying when i first put mine in lol
smith21,Mar 22 2006, 09:28 PM Wrote:first thing i can think of...normal AF gauges are pretty lil light shows lol...and now i finally get what everyone was saying when i first put mine in lol
[right][snapback]176417[/snapback][/right]

do they not really do anything?

no. get the wideband o2 and be done with it if your serious about tuning and FA induction.

The cheap ones are good for nothing as their accuracy is questionable at best and really provides you with little feedback on what is going on in that engine of yours.

You dont NEED one, but it does help if your going to get serious about boost and tuning your car to maximize the power in the engine and mods you have slapped on.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Unless you want a pretty light or some numbers just skip them all together. Unless they are a function of a data logging system then they are totally useless. By the time your car runs dangerously lean then it will already have damage before you can get off the throttle. You can't tune off them you need lots of other bits of data before you can correctly adjust a map and if you’re doing that then you already know why they are of little to no use.

I would buy a stick of neon before I bought another AFR gauge.
I have a few cars.

One for my dog.
One that has no roof.
One that looks good parked at the golf course.
One that is being rebuilt by a guy named Nero..... will it ever be done?
understanable, maybe I just wont buy one and pay for a wideband dyno run :)

wideband AFR Gauges run $400 and thats not funny!

PerfectSaiyan,Mar 22 2006, 05:11 PM Wrote:understanable, maybe I just wont buy one and pay for a wideband dyno run :)

wideband AFR Gauges run $400 and thats not funny!
[right][snapback]176440[/snapback][/right]

Smart idea but unless you have a way of controlling your ECU then don't bother to pay the extra. If you have added Nitrous or some sort of boost then I'm assuming that the kit came with a new safe tune for your car. If all you have are bolt on parts the only thing that you will gain from getting your A/F measured is weight reduction in your wallet.

Measuring A/F is great but what good is it to you if you can't effect a change with your new knowledge. If you added boost and you have to change not only fuel but timing as well so knowing that your running lean does you absolutely no good.

Save your money for the time when you can actually benefit from the information... unless you have some money you don't need and really really want to know.
I have a few cars.

One for my dog.
One that has no roof.
One that looks good parked at the golf course.
One that is being rebuilt by a guy named Nero..... will it ever be done?
good man, thanks for the info :)