Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fiberglass
okay guys i really suck at photoshop, so bear with me...this is what my bezel looks like now..

[Image: Picture025.jpg]

this is what i WANT it too look like....(forgive the s***ness)

[Image: trial.jpg]

I know there are alot of switches....however that may change.

My question here is, how do i make the fiberglassing stick to the actual bezel??? I heard it doesn't like to stick to plastic? am i wrong..or just retarded..(shush BUNNY..not a word) Now i have to keep it to the front of it, i don't wanna go to close to the edges other wise it may not fit in the dash again.

Anyone work with Fiberglass enough to let me know?

Thanks a bunch...

"The weak shall inherit...........NOTHING"
Mods so far:
- 2 Inch Drop, Focus Sport Cold Air Intake, Street Glow 4 light strobe system,MBRP Cat back exhaust, 35% tint on front windows, 5% all around the rear. 1 Million Color Flowlighting Underglow kit, Inside and out. SPEEDHUT custom indiglo Guages, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer DH6800 Deck, 15" Solo-Baric L7 Sub,Enkei 17 inch rims, Belltronic Radar Detector
I think ya need to tone down the switches. What do you need 10 switches for? I know you've got lots of lights but 10 different switches, seems a lil bit excessive.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

habmann,Mar 15 2006, 03:22 AM Wrote:I think ya need to tone down the switches. What do you need 10 switches for? I know you've got lots of lights but 10 different switches, seems a lil bit excessive.
[right][snapback]174885[/snapback][/right]

um...notice i wrote.."yes there are alot of switches, but that will change".....

Mods so far:
- 2 Inch Drop, Focus Sport Cold Air Intake, Street Glow 4 light strobe system,MBRP Cat back exhaust, 35% tint on front windows, 5% all around the rear. 1 Million Color Flowlighting Underglow kit, Inside and out. SPEEDHUT custom indiglo Guages, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer DH6800 Deck, 15" Solo-Baric L7 Sub,Enkei 17 inch rims, Belltronic Radar Detector
I think 1 cigarette lighter is too many, but 10! :rolleyes: :lol:

Actually I know that a few people have made modifications to their bezels with fiberglass (ZX3TUNR, Hardcore) with great success.
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
I don't see why fiberglass wouldn't stick.. Hell, the resin sticks to pretty much EVERYTHING.

Buuuuuuut.... you could also do any of the following options:
1) get a headunit adapter for the bezel and fill it in
2) go to your local hobbyshop and get some plastic sheating, glue and acrylic resin. ... block off gap with plastic sheet, glued from the back of the bezel, then fill in the gap with acrylic resin..

#2 would be a lot less stinky than fiberglass, and probably a bit quicker too.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

I like Puppet's idea over fiberglass. However, one of the guys to weigh in on fiberglass should be Hardk0re. The other, if he's around, is Tdot.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
It wont stick no, but you can sand it and make it rough, when you do this the resin will have sometihng to grip on. I would do what puppet said.

Using the headunit adapter you can plastic weld it inplace.
Cut away the adapter to allow you to be flat with the surface.
Sand the whole front part thats flat
Cut cardboard and fill in the holes you want filled, the cardboard can stay there it will soak up resin well.
Glass the entire front part using fiberglass and resin.
Sand smooth and sand the edges for fitment.

I made allot of gauge pods and everything sticks well to plastic provided you have enough surface to stick to and you sand the surface well enough so it adheres.
BWAHAHA HAHAHAHAH PUT THE CAR AWAY!!!!

Don't you think that's bit overboard????

I mean can't you get something so you only have to use one switch???
ANTHONYD,Mar 15 2006, 09:46 AM Wrote:BWAHAHA HAHAHAHAH PUT THE CAR AWAY!!!!
[right][snapback]174897[/snapback][/right]

:rolleyes:

What harkjore said should work well for you. I've never had a problem with Fiberglass resin sticking to plastic as long as you sand them down really good. Once that fiberglass stuff dries, its there for good :blink:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
More switches mean more horsepower. 5HP per switch...10HP if the LED is blue!
Join the Sedan Faction - You know you want to.
ThraxXx,Mar 15 2006, 10:28 AM Wrote:More switches mean more horsepower.  5HP per switch...10HP if the LED is blue!
[right][snapback]174937[/snapback][/right]

bwahhahhahahah..um...now that was mean....bwahhahaahahaahahah

wait a sec.....switches? Blue LED's....are you talking about me? ??????

:blink:
Mods so far:
How much is a bezel? Just in case it doesn't look the way you want, if it's sheap, well you can have a pratice run at it. Your bezel would look good with gauges, if your doing some performance upgrades.
Civic's sucks!

SEX is like math: add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and pray you don't multiply!
Those dash pieces have alot of potential. The spot you want to put the switches would be a great spot to mount a few gauges.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Thread editted for off-topic posts..

Slims, wouldnt it be easier to just wire more things to the switches you already have? I think more than 5 would probably be overkill for lighting accessories and stuff like that..

Molding the single DIN head unit in is always nice, and maybe put some guages underneath it, or put a few switches neatly lined up underneath it. It shouldnt be too hard, but you'd probably want to practise on a spare bezel if possible.. until you get the hang of the products you'll be using.
Listen to Malby and Flofocus they now there fiberglass!
Turbo arrived!
guilty,Mar 15 2006, 07:55 PM Wrote:Thread editted for off-topic posts..

Slims, wouldnt it be easier to just wire more things to the switches you already have?  I think more than 5 would probably be overkill for lighting accessories and stuff like that..

Molding the single DIN head unit in is always nice, and maybe put some guages underneath it, or put a few switches neatly lined up underneath it.  It shouldnt be too hard, but you'd probably want to practise on a spare bezel if possible.. until you get the hang of the products you'll be using.
[right][snapback]175090[/snapback][/right]

Yes i knowwwwwwwwww, i was just goofing around with the switches..i have 5 now, and thats about all i need anyhow. as for mounting gauges underneath, i had thought of that. However, the question is which guages would i mount...i meant i don't have NOS, or a turbo...so PSI is useless....maybe a ghey clock??? so I'm not really quite sure what guages would be worth getting? Maybe a a fuel pressure? OIl pressure ...HELP!!
Mods so far:
euro,Mar 15 2006, 05:25 PM Wrote:How much is a bezel? Just in case it doesn't look the way you want, if it's sheap, well you can have a pratice run at it. Your bezel would look good with gauges, if your doing some performance upgrades.
[right][snapback]175034[/snapback][/right]

Well i stopped by the Ford dealer, and asked....71 bucks for a new bezel....um...i'm thinking i'll hit the scrap yard first..worst case scenerio i'll buy one, but won't do anything to it..use it to go back to stock if need be.
Mods so far:
Slimsride,Mar 15 2006, 08:46 PM Wrote:Well i stopped by the Ford dealer, and asked....71 bucks for a new bezel....um...i'm thinking i'll hit the scrap yard first..worst case scenerio i'll buy one, but won't do anything to it..use it to go back to stock if need be.
[right][snapback]175103[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I guess the 2006+ bezels arent as cheap and plentiful as the originals..

As for gauges, you could always look into Volts, Oil pressure, etc..
Guages wise, you could get some of the Autometer Cobalt guages. They've got some for car audio, volts, amps, and amp temp. They're pretty nice looking, and they glow a cool blue which would match your interior lighting if i remember correctly.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Go