Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tires--all Season Or Winters
I need new tires. I currently have a 16" rim and trying to figure out my options.
i may be purchasing a set of 17" rims in the spring but that is not guarenteed.
as i figure right now this is what i can do:

1) New set of all season on the 16" rims, i would wanna go wiht a higher performance all season, but that will hurt my winter driving. and the stock 205's are not fun in the snow.

2) put a set of winter tires on the 16" rims. either x-ices or something similar. and then worry about a performance tire or 17" rims with tires int he spring

3)buy a set of 14" or 15" steelies and put winter tires on them. and then get a set of performance tires in the spring. or 17"s etc...

any suggestions or other options?
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
14" steelies on winter rubber man!

or 15"

Wait and get your 17" and summer rubber in the spring!

Those x-ice are pretty good tyres!
I purchased a set of cheap 14 inch wheels off a Tempo at the wrecker, and a set of Nordic Ice Trak tires from Crappy Tire. In the long run it does not cost any extra,as you just swap the rim/tire combo in the spring. The 14 inch snows are much cheaper than the 16 inch tires and will give you better traction.
ManitobaMustang and Fords

ZX3 with SVT suspension,Ice Man CAI.

02 Mustang -asleep for the winter
The smaller your wheels, the less winter tires will cost you. Find some steel wheels cheap and get snow tires for those. You can always sell your 16's once/if you pick up 17's. There always seems to be someone willing to buy factory 16's (either SVT guys need them for winter or guys with base models who just want to step up)
SVT ZX3,Nov 18 2005, 02:50 PM Wrote:The smaller your wheels, the less winter tires will cost you. Find some steel wheels cheap and get snow tires for those. You can always sell your 16's once/if you pick up 17's. There always seems to be someone willing to buy factory 16's (either SVT guys need them for winter or guys with base models who just want to step up)
[right][snapback]156623[/snapback][/right]

agreed! I would have said just get winters for your 16's and then buy 17's in the spring, but, he has a good point. I stuck my winters on my 15" stockers, and now i'm wiating for spring ot get new tires
Yeah, I put Bridgestone Blizzak LM18's on my stock 15" Trend rims, and I am going to put the 17's and tires on it in the spring...just put snows on the stock rims...might end up being cheaper.
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
picked up some all seazon 15 incher tires from crappy tire, work great in znow
My other ride is your Mom
i picked up a set of stock 15" alloys for $175 that came with the good years on them, but they didnt have much tread on them so i burnt the rubber off in some parking lot. I Bought a set of 195/60/15 Bridgestone Blizak snow tires and i find they are a great tire.and put my 17"s to rest for the winter
04 Silver ZX3, 17" Focal wheels, cold air intake,[COLOR=blue]
TonyDee,Nov 18 2005, 02:46 PM Wrote:I purchased a set of cheap 14 inch wheels off a Tempo at the wrecker, and a set of Nordic Ice Trak tires from Crappy Tire. In the long run it does not cost any extra,as you just swap the rim/tire combo in the spring. The 14 inch snows are much cheaper than the 16 inch tires and will give you better traction.
[right][snapback]156621[/snapback][/right]
TonyDee,Nov 18 2005, 02:46 PM Wrote:I purchased a set of cheap 14 inch wheels off a Tempo at the wrecker, and a set of Nordic Ice Trak tires from Crappy Tire. In the long run it does not cost any extra,as you just swap the rim/tire combo in the spring. The 14 inch snows are much cheaper than the 16 inch tires and will give you better traction.
[right][snapback]156621[/snapback][/right]
Will they fit where 16 alloys were? Ford gave impression they have to be same
ZTW
rara
a cheap winter tyre is better then the best all season tyre

and buy your tyres online it's cheaper
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
The display at the Ford dealer denoted that a good all-season was still respectable in the winter. I'm inclined to agree. Our Goodyear Integrity all-seasons haven't failed on me yet!
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 30 2005, 02:03 AM Wrote:The display at the Ford dealer denoted that a good all-season was still respectable in the winter. I'm inclined to agree. Our Goodyear Integrity all-seasons haven't failed on me yet!
[right][snapback]162491[/snapback][/right]

put them upto a winter tire and I am sure they won't be as good :)
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tires - All Season jamistry 4 1,613 10-06-2007, 04:29 AM
Last Post: Drivesthebeast